Hello Guest

Portable welding/grinding table.

• 5 Replies
« on: March 11, 2015, 03:06:15 AM »
I do a lot of small fab jobs and such and never seem to have a flat stable area to do the welding on. A couple years ago I picked up a Strong Hand Nomad portable welding table. It is a great table and fold up so I don't end up with the temptation of a flat clear area...  I decided that it was so handy I needed another one BUT I also wanted to cut costs. So I went to Harbor Freight and looked at the portable table they have. Looked it over and decided that I'd take a chance, looked pretty solid and close to the Nomad...   Got it home and decided to see just how close it was. The verdict, they are made in the same plant using the same main prints!

The differences...
The Nomad unit has adjustable height Vs. The HF has a fixed height (which matches the nomads top position)
The Nomad has three bolts securing the rocker assembly for the table while the HF has 2 (matches the outer two on the nomad exactly)
The nomad comes with 2 bolt on casters and a handle which are not on the HF unit (but could easily be added for under 20 bucks)
The price!!!!! The Nomad runs about 150-175 dollars + shipping. The HF unit is 59-99 dollars depending on sale/coupons.

That's it!   The tilt angles are the same, the top is exactly the same top, same weight rating and the fasteners are even the same for both.

I did drill the third hole for the tilt and on both of them I changed to bolts for the top from the cheap tiny ones they came with. I also have the same gripe on both, they are not really flat tops. They run 1/8" or so out of flat, But if you take a few pieces of angle that is straight you can tweak the table and make it flat.

Is it a top notch welding table? Not in terms of being super flat. Is it a handy solid table that does the job? Yes.

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 12:38:04 PM »
I've got one of the HF tables too.  It's all I need for what I do.  My back just doesn't allow me to bend over to work on the floor any more.

Alan

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 12:43:01 PM »
Steve, when I sat up my shop, I wanted a good solid fixed table. Got a 3/8 inch steel plate at salvage yard. Turned out to be armor plate and can't cut it with a torch, but was able to drill holes in it for vise and such. I welded 2 inch heavy wall square tubing for legs. Fastened it to the concrete block wall with angle iron and concrete anchors. Can pry or pull as much as I want in the vise. Like you say, it is a fixed flt surface that collects a good amount of miscellaneus articles and have to clear it off to do large welding projects. Have the arc and mig welder under the table, so very handy.

Gene

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 05:24:23 PM »
You have to watch having flat spots... They fill up in the middle of the night.
I have benches that I have not seen the top of since 2004.  :D
I have a smallish old welding table that my father bought back in the early 1940's. It is maybe 24" x 30" or so with a drawer and a shelf under the top. The top is surrounded by an edge that sticks up about 2" so that it holds a layer of firebrick in place. I think it has a tag on it that says "Airco". I have a bench in the blacksmith shop that is all very heavy steel. It has a blacksmith's post/leg vise on the left corner and a large heavy vise (came from an uncle) that is on a swivel base on the right corner. I have on occasion clamped things in both vises to weld them together.
I have always done a lot of my welding outside if the weather allowed. I have not done any for a while but son Scott still works there some and I plan to be back at it. I have for some time kept a tool stand parked just outside of that door and grab it to lay stuff across to weld it. Looks like this:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]821[/ATTACH]

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 09:54:04 AM »
I bought a small welding table with a vice and a container for water, etc as a part of it.  All homemade but nicely done.  Surface is small, maybe 3 feet X 3 feet.  It is very heavy and I move it usually with the loader on the tractor if it has to go very far.  I haven't been able to weld on it for about 3 years.  It sat still too long and got covered up.  I can still get to the vice, though.

Ron

RG8800

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 03:09:06 PM »
I built one probably 40 or more years ago now. It is heavy and ugly but strong. Table top is either an old tractor or combine platform. With some angle iron legs on one end and half inch shaft for the other legs it is pretty handy. I added an old junk vise to it a few years ago and it is handy for welding. I have casters on two of the legs so I can roll it in or out of the workshop. Can't break it . It will likely outlast me. !
Ralph in Sask.