Hello Guest

First tractor YOU bought

• 22 Replies
First tractor YOU bought
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 03:32:59 PM »
Gene, thanks for clearing up the numbering system for me. I do recall now that the second digit
referred to the fuel, as in 742 was the gas engine. Mine was just a 732 with the standard dual
range drive.
But you say 932s had smaller rubber? Mine had the 10x16 rubber up front which was pretty big
back then. Most earlier 932s had the skinny 7.50x18 front tires. Mine also had the tubular front
axle unlike 99% if all the other older 930s I've seen. Pto was pretty much standard equipment

I am sure there were optional sizes available for all these tractors. The most common size rear tires here for the 931's were 18.4X38 with a few 16.9x38's and most tractors used for heavy tillage would be equipped with duals. Haven't ever heard of any axle problems with the straight keyed axle. I did read at one time a bulletin published by Case that dual wheels were not recommended for the 930 standard tractors. Also read that 1030 axles could replace the 930 axles for a stronger axle. The short coupled front axle was pretty hard on brakes in our type of farming here. The extended front axle gave a lot more leverage for differential braking.

Gene

Still like the looks of your 732. Friend used to have a 1950's vintage 412 on 18.4x26 tires and he said that was the best baling tractor ever made.

RG8800

• View Profile
First tractor YOU bought
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 05:33:32 PM »
Quote from: Gene Dotson;977

I did read at one time a bulletin published by Case that dual wheels were not recommended for the 930 standard tractors. Also read that 1030 axles could replace the 930 axles for a stronger axle. The short coupled front axle was pretty hard on brakes in our type of farming here. The extended front axle gave a lot more leverage for differential braking.

Gene

Still like the looks of your 732. Friend used to have a 1950's vintage 412 on 18.4x26 tires and he said that was the best baling tractor ever made.

Gene, that last pic I posted of the 730 was a bit of a fake. At the time I had just stood the old tires up beside the tractor to make it look like dual wheels.
Heres a picture from the inside of the 1967 advertising brochure showing the 930 Special and GP side by side for comparison.
Ralph in Sask.

First tractor YOU bought
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 07:42:12 PM »
Those are beautiful pictures on the brochure. That Special really looks like a brute. Must be on 23.1X30 tires? With the adjustable tread, is it considered a 931, or does the underslung axle and western fenders make it a 932? Got me confused now!!! The one on the right is what my idea of a 931 is.

Gene

First tractor YOU bought
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 07:57:56 PM »
OH Wow, never in my wildest, could I have imagined this. Now I have something to shoot for in my work.
There iis one difference, I have the breather from the special on the row crop, on mine.
 I will keep these, Thanks.  Guess I will open an account in foki, Lord I hate to.

Paul
http://public.fotki.com/pwaugh/walnut-ridge/img-0006.html
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 11:36:47 PM by pwaugh »

RG8800

• View Profile
First tractor YOU bought
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2009, 09:14:08 PM »
Quote from: Gene Dotson;979
Those are beautiful pictures on the brochure. That Special really looks like a brute. Must be on 23.1X30 tires? With the adjustable tread, is it considered a 931, or does the underslung axle and western fenders make it a 932? Got me confused now!!! The one on the right is what my idea of a 931 is.

Gene

Sorry for the confusion Gene. The left is definitely the 932 even with the adjustable front. According to the brochure that was the only axle offered, no options. I am guessing this was a change that occured from about 66 onwards after they quit the old 6 speed chain drive 930s. They were all solid non adjustable axle tractors. Yes, the big fenders are unique to the special . Surprisingly enough it states that 3 point hitch was an option for the Special. Also 540 or 1000 pto although I doubt it was the quick switch type like on the next series. Any 930 I've seen was always 540 pto.
Theres some great pictures in that 930 brochure. I also have the one for the 7-830 and the little 4-530 tractors.
Ralph in Sask.

First tractor YOU bought
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2009, 11:49:29 PM »
I got a link to my picture, that is best I have done. I am starting to get some questions now. I don't have the serial number here at home, but thought it came out as a 1965.
Several pictures at this link.
http://public.fotki.com/pwaugh/walnut-ridge/img-0006.html

First tractor YOU bought
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2009, 10:29:46 PM »
Mine was a 1949 Farmall Cub that I bought around 1976.  To say that it was in poor shape is an understatement.  I restored it and sold it in 1980.

First tractor YOU bought
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2010, 09:44:19 AM »
My first tractor was a Case SC.  I was visiting with a client and noticed it sitting in the weeds behind his pole barn.  He told me one of his workers had borrowed it and it developed a knock, so they parked it out back and let it sit.  He sold it to me for $100.  I remember calling my wife and telling her I had just bought a tractor and she was not happy about it, but I asurred her I wouldn't get to carried away with it, just something to play with (this was before we had kids).  The tractor had a bent pust rod, which I straightened out in my vise, then put it back in.  Ever since then it has run perfect and still is one of the easiest starting tractors I own (I did not keep my promise to my wife, I am now infested with 20+ tractors).

I also named my first son Case, after the tractor, of course.  For the record, my second tractor was an Oliver, which is also the name of my second son...