Hello Guest

Hood repair

• 2 Replies
Hood repair
« on: February 14, 2011, 11:27:33 AM »
I'll try to get some pictures of this posted later.

On Saturday I had a guy fix my Empire tractor hood.  At some point in the tractor's life, a F-head Jeep engine was installed and a hole was cut in the hood so the carburetor on the taller engine would fit.  Same problem the Willys 4x4 people had when they swapped out the flathead engine and installed the later F-head engine.

The guy that fixed the hood for me usually works on restoring old cars and lately has been doing a lot of Porche 356 work.  He's one of those guys that can take a piece of sheet metal and make a fender out of it or any other sheet metal part.

Was quite interesting watching him work, fitting the patch piece he shaped to fit the hood then welding it in place with a torch and rod of mild steel.  When he was finished there were only a few spots along the seam where a little bit of filler will be needed.

I'm still planning on having this tractor at the California Antique Farm Equip show in April.

I realize that CA is a long ways away for the few people on this forum, but maybe Dave will make it since he's in Nevada and probably closer to Tulare than I am!

Hood repair
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 05:02:08 PM »
It is a mystery to me how to control the heat and prevent warp on light metal, George.  I knew an apprentice body man years ago   (school mate) who was melting lead on the rear fender of a 1951 Ford.  Suddenly the panel popped in and looked almost like it hit a telephone pole.  Obviously he had some techniques to learn.

Charlie V.

Hood repair
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 08:48:14 PM »
By brothers, Larry and Gary are very good at sheet metal repairs like that. Gary uses a mig welder and Larry uses a tIG welder. They use copper plates as a backup to the welding. Gary has repaired some rusted out fenders and look like new when he finished. Larry'e Cockshutt 20 Deluxe had a hole cut in the hood for an upright exhaust. He welded a patch in it and I can not tell where it is. Both Larry's and Gary's Cockshutt 20 are done immaculately. Wish I had the patience and eyesight to work like they do.

The grille on my Case VC had been hit right in the compound curve at the top where the 3 ridges come around the curve. I worked the better part of 2 weeks to get it right. I came close and took it to Larry and a few days later he had it looking like a new grille with very little filler. If I had tried any more on it, I would have had it all stretched out of shape.

Gene, From thawing western Ohio

P.S. The Ford fenders that Gary did, not long after we were at the Portland Swap meet and a guy had a perfect set of fenders for $75.00. Too late by then.

GD
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 08:51:53 PM by Gene Dotson »