Hello Guest

Just too quiet.

• 6 Replies
Just too quiet.
« on: December 29, 2010, 08:41:30 PM »
It is just too quiet here on the forum so I am adding a little noise.

Charlie V.

[video=youtube;ck2OwdjlvkM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck2OwdjlvkM[/video]

[video=youtube;EA6l7qAgCqs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA6l7qAgCqs[/video]

Just too quiet.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 10:40:23 AM »
Charlie,

I see you're getting close to breaking the 200 postings mark!

I've been wondering if Spencer will give us another end of the year surprise.  I've been checking each day to see if the "Front Page" gets updated with something relevant.

I"m hoping to get some work done on my Empire this long weekend.  Trying to build a foot throttle since I don't have a governor for the engine.

George

Just too quiet.
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 11:45:10 AM »
Hi George,

It has been a while.  It is good to see your Empire making progress.  I am sure that in time you will find a governor for it.  I do not know if it is the same style governor, but the CJ2A agricultural jeeps had a governor as well as a foot pedal, so there must be some around.  If you are not familiar with that gov., I may be able to send you a picture of one when the weather improves.

Happy New Year,
Charlie V.

Just too quiet.
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 01:02:50 AM »
Being that the Empire uses the Willys/Jeep engine I'm sure a governor for a CJ2A would work fine.  Actually I could probably make most any governor setup for a v-belt drive work.
However, I think a NOVI governor is the correct brand I need.

Just too quiet.
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 08:03:30 AM »
Check out this link, George.  Nice pictures.  This is what I was thinking, but I was not familiar with the Novi brand name.

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/novi-governor_topic3277.html

Charlie V.

P.S.  As I read on down that page, I learn that three brands were used on the 2A 's over time, so what I have seen may not be the Novi.  The pictures shown do claim to be Novi.  Informative page at the least.

CV
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 08:14:35 AM by Charlie V »

RG8800

• View Profile
Just too quiet.
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 11:04:16 AM »
Hi  Charlie
I see you have been busy on youtube again with your John Deeres .Is that little vertical engine the one they used in the pull type combines like the 12A?
Ralph in Sask.

Just too quiet.
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 02:10:10 PM »
Hello, Ralph.  

This engine is like the daddy of the engine used for the combines.  With the start of the JD 62 / L tractor series, the engines were made by Hercules.  That is what is in the video.  The first Hercs used were model NXA with a 3.000 inch bore.  That started in about 1937 with the JD model 62 which soon became the L.  Next followed the Herc mod NXB with a 3.250 inch bore. These engines had no provision for electric starter.  The engine block and bell housing were separate pieces and bolted together.

When it was demonstrated the market was firm for a tractor this size, Deere designed the LA/ LI tractor.   With greater expected production numbers, Deere went into production of their own motor.  It was much on the same design as the NXA and NXB, but the bore was 3.500 inches and the block and bell housing were cast in one piece with an added electric starter mount in the top of the bell housing.  The LA engine ran about 300 RPM faster (18xx rpm.) and with the larger cylinder bore offered 14.3 Horsepower.  I am quite sure the JD engine is the one used in JD combines and possible some balers

Just as a side note, I do have one of these JD   LA engines in my garage that is freshly rebuilt.  I am lacking a manifold and carburetor, but hope to hear it fire up one day.

Charlie V..
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 02:13:09 PM by Charlie V »