Hello Guest

Big Forklifts

• 3 Replies
Big Forklifts
« on: April 07, 2009, 02:21:11 PM »
Interesting that George is talking about needing a large forklift to move some of his engines around.
Last Friday I bought a JLG Gradall at an auction I attended in Vallejo Ca.
Evidently some of the major construction equipment rental yards are in some serious financial trouble. I had no intention of buying anything there other than a pole digger/derrick truck to rent to a financially strapped Electrical Contractor for a pole line project he had.
California emission laws are weird/stupid and excessive. Pacific Gas and Electric is one of the largest electrical companies on the west coast and most of their entire fleet was for sale as when the new law takes effect they cannot pass the emission standards. Posted on the windshields were stickers saying OUT OF STATE BIDDERS ONLY. When registering they gave me a bidders card with green lettering that denoted I was from out of state. The truck is a 2001 International with a cat D3206 engine, digging auger and boom, with rear control for each side. 4 wheel drive, new tires all around, 55K miles. Bought it for $15K.
Meanwhile there was a whole string of these Gradall telehandlers from Hertz rental. About middle way through the line they were selling so cheap I could not resist. As to the market value, I paid less than $.50 cents on the dollar, and no sales comission. Evidently Hertz pays that.  It is a 2003 model year and has only 2,450 hours on the John Deere turbo charged engine.
Dave E

Big Forklifts
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 03:16:04 PM »
WOW!  George could use that Forklift to put Big Engines in Tall Trees! Seems like all the best Auction Buys are at Auctions I do not attend.

Grandall
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 04:18:17 PM »
Piece of cake to get the LA back on the ground now, Dave.  Put it up and down every day if you want.

Charlie

Big Forklifts
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 05:21:08 PM »
Nice forklift for outside.  
Would be handy for a lot of things.
However, a bit too big for the size of my shop :rolleyes:

Sounds like you got some pretty good deals at the auction.