Hello Guest

A nice llittle parade

• 1 Replies
A nice llittle parade
« on: September 27, 2009, 10:12:47 PM »
Loaded the '66 International Cub on the trailer and took it to an annual tractor parade in a small hamlet seven or eight miles from home on Sept. 19.  This event is sponsored by a local church in conjunction with fund raising events for that church.  It is a very relaxed atmosphere and anything that can be pushed, pulled, trailed, or driven is welcome in the parade.  I estimate there were about 100 tractors, etc., entered.  My spectator estimate along the parade route is about 1000.  It was a beautiful end of summer day with bright sun and temperature of 70 deg. F.

I did not know what else to do with my camera so decided to take it along on the parade drive.  That led to the next thought of taking pictures during the parade for a view from the driver perspective.  I will tell you now, that was a great idea.  Spectators were there to take pictures of the tractors, but no one expected someone in the parade to take their picture.  Most seemed quite pleased to be "on camera".  As I look at these pictures time after time, I have come to realize the parade is not just about tractors.  The many happy faces and enjoyment among the spectators is what it is really all about.

Charlie V.

A nice llittle parade
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 06:44:35 AM »
Charlie;
I have 2 favorite parades of those I drive in. First is the parade through Plain City, Ohio during the mid July show there. This parade covers about 1 mile through the main streets of the town. First tractors (feature tractors) leaves the grounds at 6:00pm and the last returns to the grounds about 9:00pm. This parade is almost all tractors with steam tractors and some horse units.

Second parade is in West Liberty, Ohio, labor day weekend. Parade forms at far side of town from the grounds and proceeds through the city streets back to the park grounds. This parade is a lot more diverse and contains cars, lawn mowers, businesses and politicians as well as a lot of tractors. Parade runs in a double line for about a mile and normally lasts 2 1/2 hours from start of first unit to finish of last.

Parades are a special occasion for the children and older generations.

Gene