Hello Guest

Western Ohio Update

• 1194 Replies

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #795 on: November 25, 2014, 02:41:02 PM »
Charlie, it would be almost worth telling the dealer to take the snowblower back after a careless act like that. Surely he could have picked a day when the roads are dry? Or will the roads ever be dry again before next March?
You are right, 40 degrees would feel like summer to me. Although that wind can be a real "chill" factor no matter how high the temp. Just listen to this Sask. guy in a recent radio comment. He got it right I'd say.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/saskatchewan-winter-too-much-for-one-cbc-radio-listener-1.2840916
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #796 on: November 26, 2014, 08:56:12 AM »
I suggested to the man that the weather would be good on Monday and Tuesday of this week, Ralph, and the roads were dry, and still are.  Even had a dash of rain Sunday night to flush them off.  The guy who runs the place was great and was good  to do business with and I got a nice price concession.  It is not a big box store, but a hardware store and equipment rental business.  Like everywhere it seems they have one or more dumb employees.  The problem with not accepting the delivery (and I thought of that at the time) is they only ordered in two of that particular size and brand.  I do not know if the other is also sold.  If it is, no more are available from the manufacturer this season.  It took me quite a while to settle on this machine, so it is mine now.  Hopefully the wash down I gave it got most of the corrosive cleaned off.  

Wishing everyone here a great and enjoyable day tomorrow.

Charlie V.

P.S,  I will let you know my opinion of this blower after we see our first 10 or 12 inch snowfall.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 08:58:29 AM by Charlie V »

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #797 on: November 26, 2014, 06:19:30 PM »
[ATTACH=CONFIG]759[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]758[/ATTACH]

Pictures of my hitch step. Hope they come through. Been a while and I may be a little rusty posting pics.

Gene

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #798 on: November 28, 2014, 08:43:00 AM »
Looks like the step will work out well, Gene.  Just remember to keep your chin bone clear of the hitch as you step onto it.  I am in the same boat as you are when it comes to legs that could have been longer.  To make matters more difficult there seems to be a race these days to see who can make the tallest PU.  It wont hurt my feelings at all when that fad gets over.

The votes are in and counted.  Seems I win unanimously the honor of having cooked the best Thanksgiving dinner at our house.  A stacked deck can be a help too since it was the only one.  As far as I know right now we are both still alive so the food was not too toxic.  Everything was good and enjoyably except I pulled the old trick of forgetting the dinner rolls were in the oven.  They did not burn black but might have been useable as golf balls.  The little buggers took a little more eating than normal.  (crunch, crunch).   I always use the timer on the oven but did not that time.

the forecast is for the temp. to stay below 30 D/F today.  I have a couple of errands to do and I want to go to Tractor Supply and catch two or three pails of hyd/trans oil as it is on a today only sale.  I need it anyway so now is the time.

Charlie V

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #799 on: November 28, 2014, 12:44:57 PM »
Charlie, I am sure you meant to keep my SHIN bones clear of the step. Think the chin bones are pretty safe. Ralph's long legs are not likely as challenged as us shorter people.

My daughter in Marysville invited me to her house for Thanksgiving dinner. I was glad to accept the invitation as she is a good cook and great host. Had ham, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole and some rich desserts that I should have left alone. Her rolls were done to perfection and fluffy enough to float off the tray. Was a nice gathering of the grand children and great grand daughters as well as some of their close friends.

Temperature here at noon is 32 degrees and warmer weather forecast for the weekend. Will send some of the warmer weather to New York when we are finished with it.

Still some corn harvest being done around the neighborhood. Was in the neighbor's driveway Wednesday evening and watched a big John Deere combine drive by followed by a John Deere Tractor pulling a huge grain cart. All machines were on tracks, so should not have any problem on the wet ground. Didn't see the header so it may have passed by before I saw the rest. Neighbor west of me finished a 100 acre field this morning. Only scattered fields of soybeans left standing.

Gene

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #800 on: November 28, 2014, 09:39:40 PM »
Glad you guys had a good thanksgiving and can now enjoy the Black Friday shopping. There is a reason we have our Thanksgiving a month earlier and I guess it is the weather. Today is more like Christmas with snow and blowing snow at +5F. Not nice at all.
And that is nice work on the step hitch Gene. Plus it is always satisfying to make it yourself and save a few bucks.
Not to sound like an old curmudgeon here but these new pickups are getting ridiculous in the box height and the overall size. When you can't reach in over the box rail to pick something out of the box it is time to re-consider the purpose of a pickup. And then some guys compound the situation by adding those crazy big diameter wheels. I'm happy with my old 81 GMC and plan to drive it til it won't.
Here is a pic from a few days ago, our last nice day when I took the opportunity to haul a tank of water and then pick up a forgotten hay bale to haul home. I sure appreciated the low loading height of the old GMC that day, having to load that round bale by hand.
Ralph in Sask.

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #801 on: November 29, 2014, 09:29:04 PM »
-20F here tonight and they are calling for more of the same tomorrow. Got enough snow in the past 24 hours to try out Charlie's snowblower here. I don't have mine on the tractor yet so I'll keep walking and driving on the snow til I can't.
Glad I got the oil change done on the 39 Ford a couple of weeks ago before it got too cold to start or work on it.
[video=youtube;Lxv8IE65elw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxv8IE65elw[/video]
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #802 on: December 01, 2014, 07:08:53 PM »
You are correct, Gene.  My c's and my s's got mixed up.  I was not inferring that you are only two feet tall.  Even I am not that short.  In any case a good looking step.  -20 degrees, Ralph.  That is some global warming you are having.  The old '39 looks and sounds good in your part 11 video.  The dash and instruments look like new.  I am not at all sure but I think I am remembering my Dad's 39 as a two door.  I was pretty young so will have to ask my brother if he remembers.  He may have a picture or two but getting a copy of them is not easy.

Nice day here yesterday.  Very dark but into the 50's and no rain until after dark.  30's with wind today.  Dang furnace died again at midnight Friday night.  Different component this time.  Stayed up the rest if the night diagnosing the problem so I could go for parts first thing Saturday morning when the store opened.  Got it making heat in the early afternoon so could have been worse.  Sure hope it stays happy for a few years now.

Charlie
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 07:11:41 PM by Charlie V »

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #803 on: December 02, 2014, 07:49:36 AM »
Charlie, my new furnace is having an easy time. The Efel stove has been doing a good job of quietly converting the hickory firewood into BTU's keeping the house nice and cozy. Have a pile of hickory in the woods I cut and split last winter and have been hauling a trailer load at a time and keeping it in the barn as I use it. Use a LP furnace in the shop and it has made it nice for the projects done inside.

Looks like Ralph's weather has moderated a little. Actually above 0 degrees F yesterday.

Ohio temps for Sunday was a high of 62 degrees until the north winds blew in. Tuesday high was 32 degrees and more wind.

Gene

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #804 on: December 02, 2014, 10:41:53 AM »
Gene, I am impressed at how you seem to know the temperature here sometimes before I do. :-) And you are right, it climbed above zero yesterday. By the time the wind dropped in late afternoon it was getting a lot more livable out there. I took this red sunset picture yesterday while picking up a hay bale with the Super 90 Massey. It was still a bit cold for bare hands so I did not get the exposure right to give the full effect of the red sky. Should indicate a nicer day coming up but we will see. -12 F right now.
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #805 on: December 03, 2014, 07:51:23 PM »
Ralph, glad to keep you updated on your weather. I go often to the cwsu noaa weather site. Can tell current weather for any location covered by the site. Can click on any site covered and it then brings up a page with the weather for the proceeding 24 hours with temperature, wind, humidity cloud cover and even precipitation. More populated areas give more details like average temps and precip amount. For instance Charlie has been above freezing for the past 24 hours with a trace of rain and snow and becoming windy in the afternoon and evening. Regina has moderated some to +12 degrees. Ohio has been chilly all day and barely besting the 40 degree mark.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/zoa/mwmap3.php?map=usa

This link should take you to the home page. Hope you enjoy it.

Gene

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #806 on: December 03, 2014, 08:41:35 PM »
Thanks Gene, that map is interesting to check out weather conditions all over North America. It looks pretty accurate for what we have right now. Cloudy and some fog made the humidity get right up there. That always makes it feel colder.
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #807 on: December 06, 2014, 09:17:30 AM »
Looks like Charlie and I are having the same weather. Chilly with light rain. 33 degrees here and been raining a light drizzle since about noon yesterday. Looks like Ralph has a balmy clear morning at 12 degrees. Probably a good day to get things done. No mud like here. Dean's posts show he has been busy clearing up his new property. Making good progress clearing the fence rows.

Spent yesterday afternoon working on our wood splitter. Old engine was getting old and cantankerous so bought a new Briggs and Stratton engine to replace it. Will need to make some changes to get everything lined up and connected. Will be a few days to finish this up.

Think I will put on another pot of coffee. Good kind of day to have that extra cup.

Gene

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #808 on: December 06, 2014, 02:32:37 PM »
Nice and sunny here Gene. The map is right on the weather again. The only tractor driving I do lately is the Massey Super 90 every other day to put out a hay bale for the cattle. The wind has blown most of the snow off the roads but my yard is a bit heavy going in places as it is so sheltered from the wind.
This is a trail cam "selfie" from last week.
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #809 on: December 06, 2014, 07:55:03 PM »
Hey!!  Did you see the security cam photo of the guy in Sask. stealing a snow shovel.  Some people will take anything.  For me, if I were to steal I think I would go for something a little more fun..........a Corvette.............A speedboat........................ A Civil war cannon........??????????????????

Only kidding, Ralph.

Told my wife this evening that I might take the snow blower back for a refund because it will not blow snow.  She said we do not have any snow.  I said I know that. **** She does not know who would think of that  except me.  Oh well.

Wet and rainy and not too enjoyable but at least it is rain.  A very dark day for sure.  This time of year I always want to hitch a ride on a Goose heading South.  Maybe a plane would be just a little more comfortable.

Charlie V