Hello Guest

International Truck Engine

• 17 Replies
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 10:33:01 AM »
Well, it won't run. It fires and tries, but it has a fuel problem. First, the rings were stuck and then I honed the cylinders. Then I did the valves. What the problem is the rings are not seated enough to draw enough vacuum that Detroit carb needs to create proper venturi action. The next step is to create something to either belt it up or hook it to a pto shaft so it can be spun at a high enough rpm to start it. Then tune the carb and it should be fine, I hope...
Dave E

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 09:28:59 PM »
Random thoughts Dave.....A small mix of two cycle oil in the gas to help the rings draw??  Today,s gas is so dry.  

It almost looks like primer cocks on top of the engine.  Maybe they are actually something else.  Hard to tell from the picture.  Good luck.

I am guessing you can get tired pretty quickly turning the winder.

One time when my dad was going to Az. for the winter (maybe 1966), he proudly told me had taken the key out of his tractor.  Then he pointed to the crank for the F-20 sitting in the corner of the room.

Charlie V.

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2009, 08:16:25 AM »
A good thing about being able to belt it up for crannking is that once it is running you can slow down the starter engine to create a load. We've used that tactic several times after rebuilding a tractor engine by chaining a larger tractor to the one just rebuilt and then tow it around. Just back off the throttle as needed to increase the load.