Hello Guest

Conversation Starter

• 4 Replies
Conversation Starter
« on: January 20, 2010, 08:19:46 AM »
At the moment old iron is not sparking much conversation so I am taking a few moments for cool relaxation in the pond.  Here is my picture:

Conversation Starter
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 11:02:35 PM »
Nice picture Charlie. Just what we are all looking forward to.

Reminds me of my teenage years hunting bullfrogs for frog legs. Buddy's dad had 2 ponds with lots of cover for the frogs. We would use a fishung pole with a large treble hook on the line. Would spot them with a light and drop the hook below their chin and snag them with the hook. Also shot them with a .22 rifle. I was not all that fond of froglegs, but his family liked them.

Gene

Conversation Starter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 04:05:36 PM »
Thank you for the compliment, Gene.  That is a picture I took when enjoying a Fathers Day picnic at the home of one of my daughters.  I have fun with pictures.

When I was a kid, my Mom used to talk of my Grandfather eating frog legs when she was a kid.  I never tried them so I guess I should stick to pictures.

As a kid, we used snare hooks to pull suckers from the creek.  The state did not care for them in a trout stream, so they were not protected.  That activity could keep a kid out of mischief for hours.

Charlie V.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 04:12:58 PM by Charlie V »

RG8800

• View Profile
Conversation Starter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 12:03:37 AM »
Quote from: Charlie V;1096
At the moment old iron is not sparking much conversation so I am taking a few moments for cool relaxation in the pond.  Here is my picture:

Good looking frog Charlie. I'm guessing they grow a lot bigger there than here . We would need a whole lot of frogs to make a meal off frog legs. As a kid I used to always be catching them in the many sloughs and dugout on the farm. The sound of the first frogs croaking in the spring is a sound we look foward to as it tells us that we have survived another winter and better things are ahead.
Ralph in Sask.

Conversation Starter
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 09:13:39 PM »
We have frogs of all sizes here in Ohio, from finger size to 2 pound bullfrogs. The spring peepers will usually come out at the first weather and mainly in small pools. You could hold a half dozen in your hand . Leopard frogs seem to come from nowhere and seem to like mud holes. Green tree frogs come out in the warm summer months and spend their evenings by the hundreds singing in the trees. Sometimes so loud it is hard to sleep with the windows open. Don't know how such a small critter can make so much noise. Then the bullfrogs. They grow to a good meaty size and live in the ponds and lakes, especially overgrown weedy banks where there are a lot of insects.

With the tree frogs, just imagine a severe case of tinitis. They will sing to about 1am and suddenly they all stop and all quiet for the rest of the night.

Gene