Hello Guest

Youtube again. Harvest video

• 3 Replies

RG8800

• View Profile
« on: March 11, 2010, 10:03:06 PM »
I've been busy with home movies again. Posted a new one at youtube featuring my Uncle combining spring wheat back in the  fall of 87 on a beautiful autumn day. Back then nobody ever dreamed this would show up on the internet (whats that?), and that the Uncles would have supplied their own musical sound track. ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s4F7Sm-lKQ
Ralph in Sask.

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 05:57:26 PM »
Nice job, Ralph.  He seems to move right along on the combine. I have not seen grain crops wind rowed prior to harvest here.  

Charlie V.

RG8800

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 08:47:43 PM »
Charlie, he was travelling fairly fast with the combine but not quite as fast as it looks in the video. Somehow in the transfer from videotape to computer it seems to have made it look faster.
Windrowed crops were the rule back in 87 but for quite a while now we have been straight cutting most cereal crops. Its gone in cycles. Used to be everyone straight cut wheat in the fifties, then the swather came in to use as it helped weedy uneven crops to ripen when laid in the swath. With better weed control we found that straight cutting worked again so now the swathers mostly just cut canola and flax.
Ralph in Sask.

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 08:06:37 AM »
Makes sense to me, Ralph.  Thanks.

Charlie