Hello Guest

Workin on the Super 90

• 3 Replies

RG8800

• View Profile
Workin on the Super 90
« on: December 05, 2010, 12:48:42 PM »
My Massey Super 90 is currently down for repairs. The water pump sprung a major leak a little while ago and I had to remove the front end loader to work on it. Got it into the heated shed and disassembled the hood. These tractors are pretty awkward to work on, everything packed into a small space. And filthy, covered in dirt soaked in diesel fuel and antifreeze. It was too cold to use the pressure washer so I just  had to make the best of it with a scraper and brush to get it clean enough to work on.
I was lucky that there was a Hy-capacity dealer nearby and able to locate a rebuilt water pump for the Perkins 4A-300 engine.
I've got the coolant back in the engine and ready to give it a test run before I put the hood and front end loader back on. Even with the furnace running the shed is not going to be too warm today. Its 0 degrees Farenheit outside.
Ralph in Sask.

Workin on the Super 90
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 01:15:44 PM »
Ralph,

That looks like a fun job in any weather, and worse in your cold.  Dirt and filth is usually a little bonus with a diesel engine, isn't it.  It looks like at least the back frame for the loader was able to stay in place.  Did you have to pull the radiator to get the pump?  Is the small core out front for an AC system, or is that an oil cooler?  I will bet you will be very glad to see that machine back in service.

Charlie V.   P.S.  We are about 28 deg. F and it is pretty comfortable out there today.

Workin on the Super 90
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 03:03:15 PM »
Only 26 here in Ohio today, but snowing and windy.

This past week I have been working on the Case 700. The power steering motor had a bad leak in the lower seal. Been nursing it for the past year. At the Portland swap meet in August, I bought a used steering motor off a 400. I pressure washed the tractor as much as I could about a month ago before it got cold.

The whole front of the tracto, including the radiator had to come off to get to the steering motor as it supports the front wheels. After getting the grille and rest of the metal off, it was abvious where all the oil had been going. Like Ralph, I claened as good as needed with brush, rags ans parts cleaner. Finished putting it back together yesterday. It is still in the shop and wait till the weather calms down a little before I put it in the barn.

Also had a leak in the diesel fuel tank at the rear mount that was also making a mess on the tractor and wasting fuel. I pulled the tank off and cleaned the area real good with wire brush and bead blaster. Had a tiny crack where the mount boss is welded into the tank. Mixed up some epoxy resin and applied that with 2 layers of fiberglass cloth and built it out about 2 inches all around. Hope that holds. Would have preferred to solder it, but was too cold to take it outside to clean it out and evacuate the fumes.

Gene

RG8800

• View Profile
Workin on the Super 90
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 06:43:09 PM »
Well its back together (mostly) It was a beautiful sunny quiet day even though only +10F so I fired up the furnace and spent the afternoon getting one side panel and some other misc parts on. Yes Charlie, that radiator had to come off. That small one is the hydraulic oil cooler up front. I got it fired up for a test to see if there were any leaks, no major ones, so I drove outside and re-installed the front end loader and bale spear. Still have the hood and other side panel to install but at least it is mobile. I"ve had to use the 2090 Case and dozer blade to put round bales out for the cattle since the Massey has been down.
Ralph in Sask.