Hello Guest

Hey, I'm On Google Earth!

• 13 Replies

RG8800

• View Profile
« on: December 13, 2010, 05:05:50 PM »
I don't know how many of you check out google earth but I was surprised to find a picture of my truck and combine taken during harvest 2008.
51° 4' 6.23" N  104° 2' 18.06" W
Ralph in Sask.

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 05:00:38 PM »
Hi Ralph.  I took a look but don't see your truck or combine... maybe I need to click on a different view or layer or something?   Still pretty cool to be able to browse across the landscape, though.

Dean Vinson
Dayton, Ohio
http://www.vinsonfarm.net

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 07:35:51 PM »
Ralph;
I was always under the impression you were near Lipton?, northeast of Regina, and that link shows southeast of Regina, near Francis. Is that where you are located?

Gene

RG8800

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 11:05:16 PM »
Testing, can't seem to reply today.
Ralph in Sask.

RG8800

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 11:07:04 PM »
Gene, you were right, I'm way north of Francis. Those co-ordinates do check out for me though. Straight north of Dysart, Sask.
The pictures,, http://www.panoramio.com/photo/15278702
Ralph in Sask.

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 09:26:46 AM »
Ralph;
I found my error. I had entered 50 degrees instead of 51 degrees. New entry looks more like what you showed.

I upgraded to GE 6 and for some reason when I look at lat/lon it will not show any 8's or 9's, Don't know what is wrong with that. I ran the repair program, but didn't help.

You can view me at 40 23.607n and 83 54.2w. My north/south runway runs through the center of the farm.

Nice picture of the truck and combine.

Gene

RG8800

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 07:41:19 PM »
I see it Gene. That is some flat open country there. Is that your White combine parked out back ?
Ralph in Sask.

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 08:08:08 AM »
Yep, that is my White 7300 combine. Near as I can tell the picture was made in early spring or late winter of 2006 . The ground hasn't been worked yet for the spring planting and the west property line has not yet been cleared.

Yes, the land here is relatively flat to gently rolling. I am between the flat prairie lands west of the Miami river and the hills around Bellefontaine and eastern part of Logan County. There is actually a ski resort 15 miles east of me near East Liberty and the Highest point in Ohio, at 1549' is 10 miles east of me. My elevation is 1120'. I am located at the south end of what was once the ancient Lewistown Lake area, so has very small particle, wave modified clay soil. Very productive, but demands care for proper tillage. Wet spring tillage puddles terribly, so fall tillage works best.

West of the Miami River and all of western and northwestern Ohio is the eastern limits of the prairie lands continuing through all of the corn belt.

Gene

RG8800

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 08:06:15 PM »
2100 foot level here at the yard Gene. Theres a ski hill south of me too about 20 miles south in the Qu'appelle valley,
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/20695318
Ralph in Sask.

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 02:34:21 PM »
Well heck Gene, I have been close to you many times. I used 117 to cut from Lima to US 33. I stopped, on my way  home at the rest area on 33 just before it goes to 2 lanes and slept a few hours. Just could not make home
Paul

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 02:43:23 PM »
I bet I have taken at least 10 campers to Edmonton.  Pretty country, I was not remembering the hills and trees.  I could not seen combine on Goggle Earth either, but did see them on the other site.  I always thought the different shades of crops were different varieties of wheat, maybe the color difference is a different crop?
Paul

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 07:42:33 PM »
Other sight??  Tell me about it Paul.  Is there something with better clarity than google earth?  After Ralph mentioned the combine, I can make it out to be red with a a white cab roof.  Ralph has to be a real eagle eye to recognize it as a white, or else he really knows his combines.

Charlie V.

RG8800

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 12:29:44 AM »
No eagle eye Charlie but sometimes my memory does work and I recalled Gene mentioning that he had a White combine. It was a bit of a guess too.
Paul the colour differences can be different crops as we do plant a variety. In the photos of this area they are shot around harvest time so some fields have been combined or swathed already. You can certainly tell its "pothole country" here looking at all those sloughs from above and that was a couple of years ago. Its worse now, every slough is bigger covering more arable land.
Ralph in Sask.

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 08:22:15 PM »
Paul;

Yes, I am only about 5 miles from the rest area. Had I known you were coming through, you could have had a nice couch hide a bed to sleep in.

I normally follow 235 to Lakeview and 33 to New Hampshire and take 196 to go to Lima. Catch 117 just south of Westminster. If you are familiar with 235, I am just 1/2 mile east of it and 6 miles south of Russells Point. Aunt Millie's restaurant in Russells Point is a good place to stop and eat.

Gene