Hello Guest

Big Building Move

• 9 Replies

RG8800

• View Profile
Big Building Move
« on: January 12, 2011, 03:49:54 PM »
This is a non-tractor related video so I thought I'd post it here. Although when I get around to uploading part 2 of the move you will see a few tractors but far from antiques. Its not often you see a building this big up on wheels moving down the highway. It took more than a day and at -3 F degrees pretty cold for men and machinery. (Not to mention the camera-man).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3jTBYfo5xE
Ralph in Sask.

Big Building Move
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 07:46:55 PM »
"Steady as you go" must have been the word of the day, Ralph.  That old Elevator looks just a wee bit top heavy.  
Great what can be done when people are determined to git 'er done.

Charlie V.

Big Building Move
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 08:31:39 PM »
A-mazing.  I can get my head around figuring out how to lift and pull such a structure, but how to keep it from tipping... seems like the slightest slope in the road could be disastrous.  Gotta hand it to those folks.

Dean

RG8800

• View Profile
Big Building Move
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 02:13:06 AM »
Dean,it was amazing. I think I still have the news write up on it and will try to post it here just to give a few more details. Going to get busy and transfer part 2 of the move in the next day or so.
Ralph in Sask.

Big Building Move
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 08:10:56 AM »
Interesting video Ralph. Waiting for the final delivery. Hope it doesn't sink in the mud

Gene

Big Building Move
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 11:48:33 AM »
Ralph  - Enjoyed the Video !  When I was a kid I was always interested in watching House movers work. In my early twenties my Father and I moved 2 old houses to my parents place and converted them to storage barns, I wish I had taken pictures of the moves. My equipment used was a Ford 4000 tractor and a long hay trailer.

RG8800

• View Profile
Big Building Move
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 01:36:41 AM »
Quote from: Merton;1410
Ralph  - Enjoyed the Video !  When I was a kid I was always interested in watching House movers work. In my early twenties my Father and I moved 2 old houses to my parents place and converted them to storage barns, I wish I had taken pictures of the moves. My equipment used was a Ford 4000 tractor and a long hay trailer.

Sounds pretty inventive Merton. Typical old farmer style getting the job done with the equipment you had on hand.
I've got part two of the annex move on youtube today.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJLJBF94gzU
Ralph in Sask.

Top heavy
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 01:36:12 PM »
Like it has been said, I can understand all but the part of it not blowing/falling/tipping over.  Several days of moving ...Wow .... that takes steady nerves.

Paul

Big Building Move
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 06:56:22 PM »
I held my breath when they were going down the hill. Had enough big IH tractors to hold it back.

Gene

Big Building Move
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 07:01:48 PM »
The Amish neighbors near me moved their school house from one farm to another about a mile across the fields. They hired an Agco 4 wheel drive tractor and a Cat D-5 to move it. They jacked it up and put skids under it and dragged it by the skids.

Gene