Hello Guest

Moving Grain by Auger Train

• 5 Replies

RG8800

• View Profile
« on: April 10, 2011, 09:32:30 AM »
Spring is slowly progressing. Still lots of snow and mud everywhere but at least the sun shines and temps get up to 40 degrees. We took the opportunity to transfer a bin of canola yesterday using two augers and a hopper tank (funnel). It worked well and sure saved tearing up the yard with 6 trips with the truck. Warmed up the oil and charged the batteries pretty good on the 830 Case tractor and Kohler auger engine.
 [video=youtube;KCie68h-4HQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCie68h-4HQ[/video]
Ralph in Sask.

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 10:19:56 AM »
Ralph,

If you gentlemen keep creating systems like that one, someone may accuse you of "thinking", the lost art in modern times.  Good job and nice video.

Charlie V.

RG8800

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 04:30:25 PM »
Quote from: Charlie V;1479
Ralph,

If you gentlemen keep creating systems like that one, someone may accuse you of "thinking", the lost art in modern times.  Good job and nice video.

Charlie V.

Charlie, about the only thing I can be accused of is "remembering". Like most of my good ideas, I read about or heard it from someone else. This one has worked for us before. I have seen pictures of guys using multiple augers to transfer grain quite a distance without moving a truck.
Ralph in Sask.

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 09:57:05 AM »
In high school when helping my buddy's dad one wet fall, we dumped the combine in a gravity wagon at the edge of the field by the dryer bin. Auger ran it to the wet grain bin and then through the dryer to the dry bin. Saved cutting the field up with tractor and wagon and saved a driver and cost of second tractor. I had a nice warm place to stay in the grain office between monitoring the augers and dryer.

Gene

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 08:24:47 AM »
The only elevators we had at home were those on the McCormick Deering Model 61 thrasher /.combine.  We were never able to grow more than 12 acres of winter wheat and less than that of spring oats.  The normal procedure was to line the gap under the tailgate with burlap bags on Dad.s '47 Ford pick up, then flow the wheat by gravity from the high hopper on the combine into the truck box.  Each load was taken directly to Haxton's grain mill, a distance of less than a mile from home. Once there, the grain was sampled for moisture and onion (which we usually had) and priced accordingly.  Then we shoveled the load off into a catch chute in the side of the mill building.  The best price I remember was $2.12 per bushel with price support.  More commonly we were paid $1.60-$1.80 per bushel. That operation probably would not even qualify as a hobby farm today, but it was good activity for growing boys.  Keep in mind that we were working with a Farmall Regular, an unstyled John Deere L, a two bottom little genius plow, and about a six or eight foot four section disk with a plank float behind.  The only nearly new implement we had was a 10 foot spring tooth weed hog drag. That line up of equipment was not too bad actually, considering that when Mom and Dad moved from the city he started with a work horse to clear brush from the land. Dad was a good horseman as that is what he used daily on his day job, house to house milk delivery in the city. I call that a day job, but they actually started work at 2 AM. The next step was a Fordson tractor before the big step up to the Regular, on steel with rubber fronts..  Some of the bigger full time farms actually had nice new Farmall M's.  How awesome they were.

Charlie V.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 08:40:33 AM by Charlie V »

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 08:37:05 PM »
Charlie;

At age 56 in 1953, our father was finally able to buy his own 141 acre farm after many years farming on-the-halves. Almost every cent from the sale of his earlier machinery was put toward the down payment of the new farm. First tractor there was a 1937 unstyled Allis WC. Had a 2 bottom IH Little Genius plow and 7 foot drag disc and a 2 row JD horse drawn planter converted to tractor pull. I was 10 years old at the time and 2 older brothers who did most of the tractor driving. We all despised the WC and dad knew that. One day when we came home from school, the AC was gone and its place was a 1939 Farmall H. We were all ecstatic about that and practically fought to drive it. We bought a few milk cows 1 or 2 at a time till we had a herd of 18 that we milked by hand. Raised a few hogs and sheep and mom always had her flock of chickens for eggs to trade on Saturday night on our groceries. Little by little we were able to get others cast off junk machinery that we fixed up to get the job done. We had 1 flat bed wagon with grain sides and a 2 wheel trailer for the hauling. Had a converted horse drawn IH mower to cut the hay and a New Idea rake and hay loader and put our hay up loose and hoisted into the haymow with grapple forks. We did have a fairly new Jogh Deere 12A combine to cut the oats, wheat and soybeans. A very well used and abused Wood Brothers did the corn picking and a #14 shovel to transfer it to the corncribs. Milk was shipped in 10 gallon cans that were kept cooled in a tank filled with well water.

Along the way we were able to acquire 2 farmall F-12's to help with the tillage, planting and cultivating and usually tilled up the 2 acre garden.

At the time dad bought the farm, there were still 9 of us kids at home as the 8 older ones had married and moved out. There were many hard times to meet the bills. During the summer as we boys got old enough to hire out to the neighbors for extra money to meet school expenses and some new clothes and maybe a NEW bicycle.

Times were hard, but times were good!!!!

Gene
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 08:46:00 PM by Gene Dotson »