Hello Guest

Spring Calves on The Farm

• 4 Replies

RG8800

• View Profile
« on: April 21, 2011, 11:37:04 PM »
[video=youtube;1GjWBr7qvRU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GjWBr7qvRU[/video]

Its always nice to see the new spring calves getting out and exploring the world on a sunny day in Sask. I shot this within the past week and put it on youtube to share with the rest of the world. These few head of cattle are more a hobby than a living for me. Keeping cattle seems to be a hard habit to break.
Ralph in Sask.

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 07:00:33 PM »
Nice video Ralph. So entertaining to watch the energy of a newborn.

Good to see some bare ground there. Looks like the calves have a very comfortable place in the sun.

More rain here today. Sure sorry I was concerned about soil moisture earlier. Rain forecast daily for the next week. Will be well into May before we can get serious about field work.

Gene

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 12:55:13 AM »
It has been many years since I experienced that, Ralph.  When I was growing up, there were always at least two cows on the farm that I milked twice a day.  They each had calves every spring.  The herd never got below two and sometimes was up to six.  Funny thing, when I went off to college, the cow herd left too.  1961.

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 06:29:53 AM »
Ron;

My experience was similar, but instaed of the herd leaving, dad acquired more equipment. I left for the Air Force in August 1960 and when I came home on leave, my dad had bought a milking machine system, Had a loader mounted on the Farmall H. A baler was setting in the granary. Never figured if the equipment was to make up for the work I had done or if having one less mouth to feed freed up enough money to afford the machinery

Gene
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 06:09:41 PM by Gene Dotson »

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 04:41:10 PM »
Gene,
In my case, it was my labor that was not replaced.  My school teacher step-mother preferred bottled milk from the store anyway and no one wanted to run the cream separator and have to clean that thing.  A different way of life had come about and I was out on my own.

Ron