Hello Guest

Western Ohio Update

• 1194 Replies
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #150 on: February 05, 2012, 10:54:30 PM »
Ralph;

No, I don't have any videos. Never had a camera to take them or anyone to take them. Would be a learning experience to get to where you are with your postings to the lists.

Charlie;

I looked early this morning and noticed it was just short of 100,000 views, then checked now and see it has zoomed past that number now.

Another pleasant winter day here today. High of 39 degrees with lots of sunshine and very little wind. Bandy and I walked back the airstrip to the woods this afternoon. Worked a couple hours picking up limbs and piling them. Last month's winds brought down a lot of limbe. Trying to get it clean enough to be able to bushhog the briars and weeds.

Airstrip is still too wet to get on with the airplane. North end is still very spongy and wet. More rain forecast for Tuesday and Wednesday

Gene

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #151 on: February 09, 2012, 08:41:02 PM »
Has been pretty benign weather in Ohio. Had a little freezing rain Thursday morning, then an inch of snow on that. Made the roads slick for a while, but the sun came out and the roads were good by afternoon. Forecast for snow for Friday night and Saturday, possible 2 to 4 inches. then dipping to 10 degrees for Saturday and Sunday nights.

Nice sunny day today. Made a trip with the truck and trailer to Tiffin, Oh, to pick up a plow for Spencer. He found a 1x16 plow for his John Deere. I agreed to pick it up and store it till he comes in April and picks it up. I put a couple pictures of it on my album page. Will be a nice restore project for him.

Gene

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #152 on: February 10, 2012, 09:31:09 AM »
On my map it looks like you took a good ride yesterday, Gene.  That is a neat old plow.  Those had to be a step up from the walk behind horse drawn plow.  Good pictures.  It looks like the end of the point may have met up with a stone at some time.  On the subject of pictures, I am wondering if the earlier conversation about the change in posting pictures here on the forum is a dead issue, or if Spencer just hasn't had a chance to get back and read the followup posts in that regard.  

Charlie V.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #153 on: February 10, 2012, 03:58:02 PM »
Charlie;

Haven't talked to him again about the pictures. I actually like the idea of the thumbnail and clicking to enlarge. They display really nice. Kinda displays them like viewing pictures on Facebook.

The plow would have been made about the same time as Spencer's unstyled tractor, mid to late 30's. Yes, the point has had a piece added to it. Didn't look underneath to see if it was broken or just worn and this added for better suction. the total trip was right at 150 miles. Most from Kenton to just east of Tiffin was on Ohio Rt. 67 which is nice road to the Seneca County line. From there to Rt.18 was older pavement and a little rough. That is my golf cart trailer it is on and was a perfect fit for the plow and easy to pull and maneuver. Fuel price in Kenton was $.20 cheaper in Kenton, so filled up there.

Light snow started about noon, but barely cold enough to stick. More forecast for tonight and colder temps. May have 3 to 4 inches on the ground by morning. Got a little extra firewood in out of the weather.

Gene

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #154 on: February 10, 2012, 05:07:02 PM »
After weeks of above normal tempertures, today we are below. Yes, it was almost -20F this morning and I don't think we will see above zero today. Although it felt comfortable out there considering there is no wind  and bright sunshine. I suppose the six layers of clothes I was wearing might have helped too.
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #155 on: February 10, 2012, 07:55:15 PM »
We too have some strange white stuff coating the ground for a change.  I guess it is called snow.  Temperature now at +30 but will drop for a high in the low +20's the next two or three days.  Back up to +40 again next week so all is not lost.  Ralph, be careful not to tip over with all of the layers of clothing.  I used to say that if that happened to me. I would be like a turtle on my back and not be able to get back up.

Charlie V.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #156 on: February 10, 2012, 09:07:25 PM »
I haven't had my Carhartts on for almost a month. Insulated hooded sweatshirt has been adequate. Occasionally wear a short insulated chore jacket. The Carhartts are so heavy that I use more energy just moving in them, but are warm with a light hooded sweatshirt under them. Been looking for some insulated nylon coveralls, but haven't found what I want yet.

Used my little John Deere 240 mower tractor to move my small trailer on Wednesday. While starting it, I noticed the positive battery cable was smoking. Got the trailer moved and put the tractor in the shop to clean the cable. After cleaning I tried to start it and the starter tried to engage and then would only chatter when I turned the key. Thought the starter was bad, so pulled it off this afternoon and tested it in the vise. Worked fine, so put it back on and did the same thing. Retested it in the vise and worked fine again. Reinstalled again with same result. Put jumper battery on and now worked fine. Put the battery charger on the battery and will not take a charge at all. Guess the battery couldn't take the extra amperage of the clean cables. Gotta get a new battery for it now.

Ralph;

I checked your weather about noon and saw you were showing -1F. so knew you were getting normal weather. We are forecast for below zero chill factor for Sunday and Monday morning. Maybe the ground will finally freeze enough to get some more firewood from the woods.

Gene

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #157 on: February 13, 2012, 10:52:03 AM »
Weather update:

As usual we got off pretty easy with the weekend snowfall.  Saturday gave about four inches of very light, easy to move powder snow brought on a NNE wind.  Temps starting in the teens and getting to the low twenties.   Sunday the wind gained some strength, more from the North, and produced more very fine lake effect snow much of the day.  The Sunday snow was fine enough to only accumulate another two inches in all. With some blowing, the Saturday snow became more pulverized to a fine grain to amount to less on the ground than it was Saturday.  Temp. still low twenties.  To our North nearer Lake Ontario, the weather folks are claiming fifteen inches of snowfall.  My SIL stopped by this AM.  They live fifteen to twenty miles South of us.  His statement was that they have a lot more snow than we do.  This all goes to prove that if you have to live in a northern climate, between the major snow belts is the place to be.  Today we are to 31 degrees at present with bright sunshine, so some melting will occur.  

Charlie V.

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #158 on: February 14, 2012, 06:34:01 PM »
I've heard lots about the "lake effect snow" that happens around the great lakes. With some of the big flooded areas we had here you would think we would have some of that too. Not so. There is still well below normal snow. We don't see much melting, just keepng what we have. Still havent installed the snow blower and I am sure that is a record in my lifetime.
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #159 on: February 15, 2012, 08:14:39 AM »
Ralph;

The lake effect snow is formed by air blowing over open, unfrozen water. I suspect your large ponds of standing water are frozen solid and prevents enough evaporation to support snow. When the great lakes freeze over they will not support lake effect snow.

2 inches of wet snow Monday night has started melting with rain forecast tonight and tomorrow. 32 right now and overcast. High of 38 today. Cleared the deiveway with the Case 700 and driveway maintainer. Works good in heavy wet snow and leaves a nice level surface. Ground had frozen enough to clear the area in front of the hangar. Was able to get back to the woods on Monday and get a nice trailer load of wood I cut and split 3 months ago.

Gene

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #160 on: March 05, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »
Holy Mackerel, Gene.  10 Degrees here this AM.  Down to zero in the hills south.  I think that is as cold as we have had in a while.

Charlie V.

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #161 on: March 05, 2012, 05:05:01 PM »
Charlie, you are officially colder than Sask. and that is unusual. I noticed on the news today that eastern Canada was having a real cold air system hit today so I guess you are feeling the effects of that. I think it is in the high 30s here today but cloudy so not too much melting going on. Still haven't put the snow blower on the tractor yet this winter. Wonder if I will make it to spring without having to?
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #162 on: March 07, 2012, 06:37:29 AM »
Looks like Ohio has been the warm area the last few days. After the heavy rain on Friday, we have been dry, Was cold for the weekend and has warmed up since Monday. Had 60 degrees on Tuesday and forecast for 64 for today. Very strong winds has helped with the drying. Forecast 30 MPH plus winds for today and tonight, then rain for Thursday. Very mild temps forecast through the forecast period.

Been hauling chicken litter for the Amish. Using gravity wagons to make the 50 mile round trip.. Totally destroyed a wheel and tire on the 12 ton wagon with 10.00x20 truck tires. These wheels are hard to find. Went to local combine salvage and they had 2 high flotation 16.5x16 1 wheels and tires. Got one on the wagon Monday and will put the other one on today. Smaller 6 ton wagon has gotten 2 rear tires from the replaced tires from my truck, so now have all 4 tires matching with good solid tires

Gene

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #163 on: March 10, 2012, 01:00:21 AM »
Sounds like summer time in Ohio. 10.00 truck tires hard to find? Thats not good. My truck takes 9s and 8.25 and I have not tried to buy any lately. Hope I am not in for a surprise.
Thinking of summer, here is a nice way to spend a day this June. Looks like a yard full of interesting old iron.
 http://www.farmauctionguide.com/cgi-bin/hodgins_new.cgi?sec=v&type=c&id=barrie&anum=1313103700
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #164 on: March 10, 2012, 08:06:47 AM »
Summer is not quite here yet. Have 21 degrees this morning with promise to warm up the next couple of days. Nice bright sky, so should be warming up for the next few days.

Sounds like that would be a nice way to spend a late spring day. That is a nice looking Case LA. Doesn't look to be too beat up.. Nice looking trucks too.

Our local spring consignment sale in Kenton is today. Been a little under the weather lately, so will stay home and maybe get a few things done at home. Hope for a warmer afternoon.

I got a pair of 16.5L16.1 flotation tires for the wagon. They should last a long time. Still have the 10.00X20's on the front. Made 2 trips with them and seem to be doing well. One front tire seems to be scuffing some, so will check the alignment when I get it home this afternoon. The wagon pulls real good empty, but only able to get 25 MPH loaded when it starts to weave.

Gene