• View Profile
Wood Cutting January 2012
« Reply #135 on: January 27, 2012, 01:13:21 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM2ilg_0hO0
[video=youtube;TM2ilg_0hO0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM2ilg_0hO0[/video]
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #136 on: January 29, 2012, 08:06:44 PM »
Great to see this back.  Thank you Spencer.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #137 on: February 01, 2012, 09:16:04 AM »
Temperature above 50 degrees F on Jan. 31 made short work of the new 3 inches of snow on the ground.  We are promised above freezing daytime temperatures for at least seven days to come.  It is almost getting safe to say that winter 2011-2012 in Western NY is wimping out, keeping in mind that it is not over until it is over.  Below is a little view of what we were looking at on Feb. third of last year (my #2 daughters birthday).

Good video of the wood buzzing Ralph.  The crew is mowing right through it.  

Hope you are keeping your head above water out in Ohio, Gene.

The ornamental windmill in our yard was listing heavily to the ESE yesterday as one of the four legs was heading toward the center of the Earth.  I rounded up two pieces of flat stone and threw them over there, then headed that way on my two canes. There was just enough frost crust on the ground surface to support the canes so they did not pop through the turf.  I lifted the windmill and pushed a flat stone under each back leg.  The soil there was absolute mush, so pushing the stones down a bit with my foot took no effort.  The unit is not dead level, but is at least within a few degrees of vertical.  It will be interesting to see what happens with the next strong wind.

Here is the view from last year as a reminder, and last year was actually an easy winter for this area.

Oh Oh.  Sorry about the picture.  the forum software may be messed up as it will not let me post the pic.  I will try it in a follow up post.

Charlie V.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #138 on: February 01, 2012, 09:47:42 AM »
Lets try this.

http://images60.fotki.com/v367/photos/9/1608999/10026891/Feb_32011-vi.jpg

Obviously something has changed.  Most of the pictures I have included here from a link have been in excess of 100kb. see above, this page, the snow on the window screen as an example (142.9kb.)  This one is 116kb.  I realize that a photo uploaded to this sight must be under 100kb, but it has not seemed to matter on a linked photo that is actually stored on another web sight.  Today it does matter.  Maybe Spencer will read this and check it out or advise.

Thanks Spencer if you are listening.

Charlie V.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 09:55:30 AM by Charlie V »

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #139 on: February 01, 2012, 04:41:14 PM »
Charlie;

Certainly nothing like that in Ohio this year. Last 2 days has been 53 degrees. Windy yesterday anc calm today, not the strong winds we had over the weekend. Had just a light shower overnight last night, probably less than a tenth inch. Ground is starting to show signs of starting to dry, but still ponds in the fields

Warm weather all across the northern states. Ralph is showing a balmy 30 degrees and fog. Bet it is coating the trees there. Walked back my airstrip and the south 2/3 is starting to get pretty solid, but still spongy on the north 1/3.

Celebrated my 70th birthday yesterday. Not bad at all. Woke up feeling good and had a good day. My insurance agent took me out for lunch and had a good visit with him. Cleaned the shop where I had been cutting my lumber for the closet. Was actually able to work with the door open.

I will send Spenser an email to let him know about the problem posting pictures.

Gene

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #140 on: February 01, 2012, 07:51:38 PM »
And a very Happy Birthday to you, Gene, one day late.  My calculations tell me that you are now the same age as I am.  Being that I am so lively and quick, (about like a pet rock these days) I will pull ahead of you again in a couple of months.  Thank you on the e-mail to Spencer.

Charlie V.

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #141 on: February 01, 2012, 11:30:17 PM »
Congratulations on hitting another milestone Gene.
Charlie I'm wondering how big that windmill is that you were able to lift it and put a stone under the leg. The windmills I see here would need a jackall or front end loader to lift even one leg . And they are of course bolted down.
Yes, it was a heavy foggy day with poor driving conditions for those that had to drive. Not me luckily. I am suffering with a miserable cold, not doing much more than the basics. Have to try testing a fotki picture here.
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #142 on: February 01, 2012, 11:52:28 PM »
While getting the machine back up, I upgraded the bulletin board software.  It did include some security fixes that had direct bearing on posting videos, but not pictures.  I'll continue doing research.

Spencer

Ps.  I do know the update placed a few restrictions on "quick reply", but don't remember the details.  So if you are trying to post using quick reply, try a full reply instead.
-------------------------------------------------
More tractors than time.....

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #143 on: February 02, 2012, 08:14:32 AM »
Thank you, Spencer.  I will try the same picture again and see what happens.

Same problem.  the window which appears when insert image is clicked is different.  It now has two tabs which I do not recall in the past.  I use the "From URL" tab as the picture resides on the Fotki sight.  The previous window would always have HTTP on the line when it opened.  This one does not.  When OK is clicked after pasting in the photo address, another small window immediately pops up stating the photo file size is too large.  After this happens, several clicks on OK and Cancel are required to make the windows go away.  

Hope this helps.

Charlie

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #144 on: February 02, 2012, 08:53:06 AM »
"Quote";   Charlie I'm wondering how big that windmill is that you were able to lift it and put a stone under the leg. The windmills I see here would need a jackall or front end loader to lift even one leg . And they are of course bolted down.

Hi Ralph,

It seems that I have a very strong back for a little guy.  :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Actually, you may have missed a key word. That word being ornamental. The windmills you are thinking of actually pumped water at some time in their existance.  They may look like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]609[/ATTACH]

The windmill I referred to is a yard ornament that at most tells wind direction like this one.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]610[/ATTACH]

Charlie V.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #145 on: February 02, 2012, 09:10:57 AM »
Spencer:  On the picture situation.

Having just finished the previous post, I think I see what has changed.  When the "insert picture feature is used, it now brings the picture in as an attachment, probably causing the size limit to apply.  Previously the picture line in the post would show as an address (HTTP> xxxxxx.xxx.xxx.xxxxxxx.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]609[/ATTACH].  The number in the middle will change with the picture as the next picture will be 610, etc.  I hope this helps and also hope the size allowed can be increased.  Often pictures under 100 kb offer very little to the viewer.

Thank you again.

Charlie V.

P.S.  I have scratched my mind and cannot find where I am doing anything differently than before.  I go through the same motions.

O.K. I showed the information and it actually brought in the picture again.  If I wanted that it never would have happened.  I will try it again in a slightly messed format and try to fool it to get the point across.

[ATTACH  =  Config} 1002 [/ATTACH  ]
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 08:05:27 PM by Charlie V »

RG8800

• View Profile
Trying a video link
« Reply #146 on: February 03, 2012, 11:26:35 PM »
[video=youtube;bJNVK_heTGQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJNVK_heTGQ[/video]

Some more home video I shot in 1992. Lipton, Sask's vintage tractor pulls. Good entertainment.
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #147 on: February 04, 2012, 09:28:05 PM »
Nice video Ralph. That is the kind of tractor pulling I can associate with. Have done a little pulling myself. Pulled the LA and VC at West Liberty in 2010 and got 3rd place with both of them. Was a little better prepared this past year, but the pull was rained out. Was the start of our monsoon season.

Had a few nice drying days last week, but this morning we had another half inch rain mixed with an inch of snow. Snow is melted now.

Gene

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #148 on: February 05, 2012, 05:32:35 PM »
Have you noticed?  The odometer on this thread rolled over 100k this morning.  Someone is looking.  Another very nice day in WNY for this time of year.  

Charlie V.

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #149 on: February 05, 2012, 07:20:15 PM »
Gene, got any video of your tractor pulling with your Cases?
Weather continues warm and sunny, quite a contrast to the weather in Europe right now where they are having real winter weather problems. Guess our winter went over there.
I hadn't noticed the odometer but I guess people are checking in to look.
I have been spending some time on another interesting Canadian antique tractor forum at
http://www.canadianantiquetractor.com/tractorforum/index.php
Ralph in Sask.