Hello Guest

69 Members?

• 10 Replies

RG8800

• View Profile
69 Members?
« on: March 04, 2012, 02:08:47 PM »
Am I reading it right, there are only 69 members here now? I thought it was not long ago we numbered in the hundreds? Not that it makes much difference if nobody posts any messages to discuss.
Ralph in Sask.

69 Members?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 07:54:58 PM »
Quote from: RG8800;1755
Am I reading it right, there are only 69 members here now? I thought it was not long ago we numbered in the hundreds? Not that it makes much difference if nobody posts any messages to discuss.

Hi Ralph.  

I guess that is about deal.  It sort of looks like You, Gene, and I have been whipping a dead horse for a while.  At this point I am somewhat disenchanted with this forum.  As you know, I like posting pictures to share.  The toolbar now only allows photos up to 100 kb.  I have no software to size pictures by total picture size, only be pixels.  (Example 800 x 600)  Consequently it may require two or three tries to make a photo file conform to the 100 kb file size requirement and by the time I get it there it is usually a wallet size image and not worth posting.  I can still bring an image in by another method as I have done below, but it is a lot of hocus pocus.  I have come to the defense of this forum numerous times, but now it seems difficult to even get any dialog going with the Administrator on this subject.  I am at the point of "What's the point?".

Charlie V.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 08:17:33 PM by Charlie V »

RG8800

• View Profile
69 Members?
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 05:02:00 PM »
Charlie, do you use windows paint to down size pictures? I find with the latest version on windows 7 it is quite easy. The alternative is to put them in an online album like fotki or webshots or one of the numerous other online albums out there.
I'm spending more time on another tractor forum that is devoted to Canadian antique tractors. Although I'm sure they wouldn't draw the line at someone as close to the 49th as you are. :D
 http://www.canadianantiquetractor.com/tractorforum/index.php?sid=6ec8abf6842731004af6f34d435d2a46
Ralph in Sask.

69 Members?
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 08:55:31 PM »
In the past I have used paint to size, Ralph.  Working with a percentage reduction is quite a hit and miss system and often time consuming to get file size tweaked in to under 100 kb.  Some time back I figured a way to size with Picasa and I can do batches of six to eight pictures at a time if need be.  I can size to 800 pixels, 640 pixels, etc.  However, pixel size is not a direct link to total file size.  The total file size will vary quite widely depending on the content of different photos with a set pixel size.  As an example, the moon photo above is only 22.9 kb (very low) as there is nothing in it except blue sky and the pale moon.  The exact same pixel size photo with a complex image and a lot of various colors could run 240 kb in total file size.  Knowing this, you can see why it is difficult to stay under the low level of 100 kb.  The allowance parameters you have over on Red Power are much easier to get along with.

Charlie V.

69 Members?
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 08:18:56 AM »
Charlie

Below is a site I have used to resize photos. Photos can be resized and then posted into your hard drive photo sites. Don't know if it will be a solution to what you want to do, but may be worth a try. I always have my camera set for email size and most always comes under 100 mb and are easy to send. It takes the pics at 640X480 pixels.

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

Gene

69 Members?
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 08:05:34 PM »
Thank you, Gene.  That sight offers some good options.  I currently take photos in 12 megapixel resolution while many in my files are 7 and 4 megapixels.  They do require a lot more reduction.

Charlie

RG8800

• View Profile
69 Members?
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 02:36:00 AM »
I'm not sure of the size of this photo but it is one that I took some years ago at a farm auction and have stored in an album at fotki.

Ralph in Sask.

RG8800

• View Profile
69 Members?
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 02:39:21 AM »
That is a 10-20 IH by the way. Now I am testing uploading a photo from my computer that I took a few days ago. It is about 340 kb in size. I down sized it using windows paint. I think it is going to work. .
[ATTACH=CONFIG]613[/ATTACH]
Ralph in Sask.

69 Members?
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 11:58:15 AM »
I  think this is the first time this year that I've checked on the forum.
Sad to see that it is still only a few people using the forum.

I put the blame on the lack of having any link to the forums from http://WWW.ATIS.NET, plus the past there was a lack of support or updates to the forums.
I haven't looked around to see if anything has changed since last year, so I apologize if there have been changes and I just haven't seen them yet.

RG8800

• View Profile
69 Members?
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 01:11:04 PM »
Quote from: GeorgeBest;1783
I  think this is the first time this year that I've checked on the forum.
Sad to see that it is still only a few people using the forum.

I put the blame on the lack of having any link to the forums from http://WWW.ATIS.NET, plus the past there was a lack of support or updates to the forums.
I haven't looked around to see if anything has changed since last year, so I apologize if there have been changes and I just haven't seen them yet.

Hi George, yes it is slow motion on this forum. Mostly just me, Charlie V and Gene updating on the weather and farming conditions. It would be nice to hear from a few others but I guess it is not happening.  I hang out on another Canadian antique tractor forum that is looking for more activity too. Not sure what the secret is to getting more forum activity.
Ralph in Sask.

69 Members?
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 01:36:03 PM »
Quote from: RG8800;1787
Not sure what the secret is to getting more forum activity.

No secret.  Spencer just needs to decide to update some links to the forum.
Also the home page for the forum needs to be updated as too much of the stuff hasn't changed since 2009!

As far as I know some of the features mentioned on the main pages about publishing stuff and other things have never been turned on so we can use them.

I've wondered a long time if this was just an experiment to see what happens to an unsupported website.