Hello Guest

Spring winders

• 4 Replies
Spring winders
« on: March 25, 2008, 02:13:17 PM »
Don't know if any of you make springs, but it is something I've been interested in learning.  It is kind of a hassle to go to the hardware store to buy springs when sometimes you're not really sure what size you need.

Anyway I bought a Di-Acro spring winder off of eBay.  Got it yesterday and tried making a few springs last night.  It does a great job of making compression or expansion springs.

However I can see where it will really take some practice to make springs the size you want.  I can see where I'll end up with a big box full of assorted springs as I attempt to get that perfect one made.

Also making a nice looking loop or hook on the end of the spring will take some practice too.

Di-Acro is still in business but no longer sells the spring winder.

I know for the amount of money I'll end up investing in the winder and related tools and all the wire I'll need that it would be cheaper to just buy springs, but what is the fun in that:D

Making springs
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 09:44:48 PM »
In past years, I made quite a number of springs on a bench lathe.  I had a winder which I made.  The lathe running very slow through the back gears was the power to wind the coils.  In the factory we always had an assortment of music wire to work with as well as metal rod in many sizes to wind them around. If you have a machinists manual, I think there is a formula which will allow the calculation of what size rod to use as well as wire size and expansion factor so you may come close to what you need the first try.  I'll bet this same info is available on the net somewhere.

How about a picture so we may see what your spring winder looks like??    Have fun and be careful with the wire.  Protect your eyes.

Charlie V.

Spring winders
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 10:20:49 PM »
I already had my first lesson on what not to do with the winder.:rolleyes:  Ended up with a bleeding finger.  Lucky is was a simple puncture and not cut like I feared it was.

winder
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 08:25:59 PM »
Thanks for the pictures, George.  I am not able to fully visualize how it works, but can make some guesses.  It sure looks to be in like new condition.  I went snooping on the net.  None that I found were as good as yours.  Most were pretty beat up.  Have fun.

Charlie

Spring winders
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 10:59:19 AM »
Charlie,

I'll post some more pictures of it probably this weekend.  The pictures I posted earlier do no show a mandrel in place to have the spring wound onto and you also have a hand crank attached to the mandrel to turn it.