Hello Guest

Wall Street Journal

• 6 Replies

Danny

• View Profile
Wall Street Journal
« on: April 10, 2008, 09:34:28 PM »
It was a bit of a surprise to open up the WSJ and find old iron.

Danny

Wall Street Journal
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 07:42:21 AM »
Any time the media mentions our hobby it is a mixed blessing. Now everybody is going to think that old tractor you want to buy from them is just like the one that sold for $100K. Actually it is, except for not being high crop, narrow tired, propane, and 3rd form the last one built (only built 274 to begin with). :rolleyes: Not to mention the one that recently sold had a pile of money invested in it.

One thing I have noticed is that some of these tractors are picking up in value despite being fairly easy to find. Yet some of the real oddballs are still going for bargain prices. Keep an eye on auction results and you will see what I mean.

Danny

• View Profile
Wall Street Journal
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 08:54:17 PM »
I agree. I just said it was a surprise.  Some of the auctions I've attended has shown to be interesting to say the least.  scrap men seem to be paying premium on parts; radiators, hitches, etc...you know silly stuff. Then you go out in the field and see a more or less parts tractor maybe should sell for at tops 500. Well better add another 2000 to that. Just for the discussion the next tractor is painted, runs and looks alright Should bring 2500 but only brings 1500. And then those guys paying new price for really stupid stuff like used chicken wire....my heads still spinning trying to figure 'em out   :confused:

Danny

Wall Street Journal
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 09:45:44 PM »
There have always been those that pay near full retail for smaller items. Don't know if they just want to win something at auction or what? I just sit back and watch in amazement!:D

RG8800

• View Profile
Wall Street Journal
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 12:12:34 AM »
Is there a link to this article so I could read it?
Ralph in Sask.

RG8800

• View Profile
Wall Street Journal
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 01:15:35 AM »
Thanks for th link Danny, I guess it was bound to happen that old tractors would become high priced toys or investments for the rich. Its good if you are in a selling position but not so good for the low dollar guy trying to get into the hobby. Remember, there was a time when a 57 Chevy was just an old car too?
Ralph in Sask.