Hello Guest

Over 300 and still nothing going on

• 5 Replies
« on: November 18, 2008, 05:09:16 PM »
I've been busy with various things and haven't been on the forum for almost a month.  Checked back today and see that we now have over 300 members.

Unfortunately it seems that all the new ones are lurkers and not posters:(

Was a bit surprised that only a couple threads had been posted to since I was last on.

What do we need to do to get people to post?

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 09:55:28 AM »
What do we need to do to get people to post?[/QUOTE]

Good question. The same problem occured with Spencers image depot. I am/was a moderator and in the beginning there was interest then it stopped completely. Even the tractor list has become more "off topic" than anything tractor related. The engine list....well, it's a thing of its own.

Maybe we should post topics on the list and do a cross reference that says more info can be found here, or somehow do a promotion.

Dave
Dave E

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 12:20:16 PM »
Dave,

Back in April I made a posting on this forum about a gas engine converted to steam and included a photo.  At the same time I posted a message on the engine list and referred to the forum so people could see the engine.  It worked somewhat in that we did some people to join the forum then, but didn't really do much for getting people to post.

I do think that postings with photos attract more readers.  So maybe if we posted more photos with messages we might get some people to respond.

george

ps.... haven't forgot about the spring winder.  Just too busy with one thing or another.  My last excuse was my wife was gone for a week and had my digital camera.  She's back now, but this week is getting the December WAIT issue put together.  Maybe next week :o

RG8800

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 10:41:29 PM »
Quote from: GeorgeBest;395
Dave,

Back in April I made a posting on this forum about a gas engine converted to steam and included a photo. .  It worked somewhat in that we did some people to join the forum then, but didn't really do much for getting people to post.

I do think that postings with photos attract more readers.  So maybe if we posted more photos with messages we might get some people to respond.

:o

George, I have been slipping at checking on this forum. But there is not usually a lot of activity to check on it seems. Your right about the photos as they do tend to stir up comments or discussion (sometimes). I seem to spend most of my time at a couple of more active tractor and machinery forums. But here is my contribution for today. A friend stopped by exercising his 63 Fairlane and took this photo. Its an original , one owner car and he is trying to decide what to do with it. Spend the big bucks it would take to make it perfect or sell it for what he can get as is. The car runs pretty good for having sat in storage for 13 years.
Ralph in Sask.

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 08:24:35 PM »
Nice car almost like the 62 Fairlane I drove in drivers ed many years ago.  It was less than a year old when I drove it.

Only bad thing about your friends car is that its a 4dr.  Four doors don't have much value to collectors.  I had a 63 Chevy II I sold for a friend.  If it had been a 2 door could have sold it easy.  In fact I probably would have bought it myself!  Instead I sold it to a friend of mine and he's driving it around now.

RG8800

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 01:32:12 PM »
Quote from: GeorgeBest;408
Nice car almost like the 62 Fairlane I drove in drivers ed many years ago.  It was less than a year old when I drove it.

Only bad thing about your friends car is that its a 4dr.  Four doors don't have much value to collectors.  I had a 63 Chevy II I sold for a friend.  If it had been a 2 door could have sold it easy.  In fact I probably would have bought it myself!  Instead I sold it to a friend of mine and he's driving it around now.

I agree George. Its a sad fact of life that four door sedans do not seem as collectible as 2 door hardtops or converts.
Another co-incidence. I too have  a 63 Chevy II out in the shed that I license and drive for a few months in the summer just to keep it exercised. Its a bit of a novelty but nothing fancy. An original under hundred thousand mile car that has been in  my family since new.
Ralph in Sask.