Hello Guest

Saturday classes

• 5 Replies
Saturday classes
« on: November 20, 2008, 12:32:39 PM »
During the winter months the club I belong to (EDGE&TA Br15) has a class on the last Saturday of each month.

We've been doing this for many years and can use some new ideas of topics or things we can do in these classes.

I'll post some of the ones we've done in the past after I get some responses to this message.

Also.... does your club have anything like a last Saturday of the month class or monthly meeting with the goal of educating people on how to do stuff related to the hobby?

Saturday classes
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 08:10:05 AM »
This past summer I was invited to a neigboring tractor club to share with them a bit about magneto repair. Basically I just gave them some basics on mag repair, trouble shooting, and what a professional rebuilder (which I am not) does.
I would think topics on painting and bodywork would be interesting.
Also brazing and soldering.

Saturday classes
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 02:13:11 PM »
John,

We've had some classes on magnetos and thinking back, I think we probably have done magetos to some degree each year.

We've had one member demonstrate some welding techniques.

It has been several years now, but we have had a person demonstrate some body repair on a tractor fender.

In prior years we also had someone show how they made gas tanks and also showed how vacuum tanks worked.

George

Saturday classes
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 09:37:48 PM »
Depending on how do-it-yourself the membership is would determine how in depth to go with any particular subject. I've got a project coming up involving body leadwork. I've bought my materials and a DVD but I would love to watch it done in person. I did teach myself enough about metal-spinning via you-tube to make a part for one of my tractors last winter.

Saturday classes
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 09:45:27 PM »
John,

Metal spinning!  Now that's something we haven't covered in any of our classes.  I don't know if anyone in our club has done it or not, but it would be something interesting to learn about.  When we have our first class of the winter next Saturday I'll bring it up and see if anyone knows someone that does it.  Thanks!

Saturday classes
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 09:53:06 PM »
While it is still done on some specialized high-output CNC controlled machines, it is almost a lost art in the world of manufacturing. I work in a machine shop and only a few folks knew what it was. Only a couple had even seen it done. Evidently it is done primarily by either production shops or folks making ornamentals. If you have high-speed, check out some of the videos on you-tube. If I had the time it, along with blacksmithing, is something I would love to know how to do.