Hello Guest

Old Machinists

• 4 Replies
Old Machinists
« on: November 29, 2008, 10:39:40 AM »
I have an old friend that is one of a declining breed. He owns a salvage business and is an "old school" machinist. His shop is beneath a two story home built of WWII ammunition boxes, with a full array of lathes, mills, you name it and he probably has it. The newest machine is probably at least 50 years old. Dirt floors, winding pathways to work areas, single light bulb on a chain switch for light at each spot needing light to see, and so on. He has nothing for sale, but if you are his friend he will give it to you. Strangers get run off promptly and he's not interested in making new friends either.
I took this picture of him and his dog sitting in front of my computer in the shop office, and would like to share a little info about him.
Dave
Dave E

RG8800

• View Profile
Old Machinists
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 01:39:21 PM »
Quote from: DaveErnst;409
I have an old friend that is one of a declining breed.
I took this picture of him and his dog sitting in front of my computer in the shop office, and would like to share a little info about him.
Dave

Dave, thanks for sharing this great photo. Your lucky to know a guy like this and your right, they are disappearing unfortunately. I've known a few over the years. No photos though.
Ralph in Sask.

Old Machinists
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 08:15:48 AM »
Quite an interesting friend to have I am sure. "Old Timers" are a wealth of info. when you are trying to figure out how to do something with limited means and only need to do it once.

Old Machinists
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 04:36:27 PM »
Dave,

The skills and knowledge on how to fabricate and repair stuff is disappearing.  I think it has something to do with our modern throw away mentality where things are replaced rather than repaired.  Nothing is meant to last anymore.

George

ps, That sure is an ugly dog:D

Old Machinists
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 10:29:46 PM »
Naw, no such thing as an ugly dog. A dog's beauty comes from faithfulness and dedication. Appearance of the package makes no difference be it them or us... Gene