Hello Guest

Ingeco sideshaft

• 8 Replies
Ingeco sideshaft
« on: March 31, 2009, 03:44:40 PM »
This past Sunday I started oiling up the Ingeco.  It hasn't run in many many years and although it wasn't stuck, doesn't turn over very easy.

The weather turned nasty and I had to put the tarp back over the engine as it is still sitting outside on my trailer.  No room in the barn at the moment for the Ingeco until I do some rearranging.  Since it is 4k+ lbs and on skids it needs to be put where I want to keep it as I don't have any easy way of moving it.  Will be using pipes as rollers to move it once I get it in the barn.

Would love to have a forklift big enough to handle it, but Kathryn would probably prefer I didn't buy a forklift.  Actually, she probably would prefer I didn't buy big engines I have no way of moving;)

The way the Ingeco is at the moment, unless it fires right off after priming it, I'm not sure how long I can turn those big flywheels over by itself.  Hopefully once everything is is well lubricated it will turn over easier.  This engine is a 12hp and several years ago I stored a 15hp version of the same engine for another collector and successfully started that one by myself several times.

Of course back then I was also storing a forklift for another buddy so could move around the big stuff without a problem.

ps... hope someone else will start a thread.  I'd rather not be at the top of the number of postings list all the time:o

4,000 lbs.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 08:18:27 PM »
Just a thought, George.  Would something like four or six car dollies ( that normally go under each tire) work under the skid on your floor.  Being designed to carry a car, 4,000 lbs. might not be out of the question for them.  I think with small wheels the floor has to be reasonably smooth.

Charlie V.

Ingeco sideshaft
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 02:15:08 PM »
George - With Big Engines comes Big Commitments!:)

Ingeco sideshaft
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 11:29:23 AM »
It runs!!

On Saturday, I only got a few puffs from the Ingeco and was wishing I still had a tractor with flat belt pulley to belt it up to.

On Sunday, I got it started by hand.  Started it several times during the day but haven't been able to run it very long.  At the moment I'm putting fuel in the mixer bowl to run it as the fuel pump isn't working.  Probably need to free up some stuck check balls to get the  pump working.

Also need to get an exhaust flange fabricated and put an exhaust stack on the engine.  At the moment is exhausting straight out of the head.

Ingeco sideshaft
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 02:25:30 PM »
George,
Take a look in the 'round the pot bellied stove forum to see my latest acquisition.
Dave E

Ingeco sideshaft
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 11:54:34 AM »
Worked on the exhaust flange yesterday.  Have it pretty well fitted and just need to weld the exhaust pipe onto the flange.

Do have one thing to take care of before I can bolt the flange on.  The threads for one of the studs are almost completely gone.  Not enough thread to keep the stud in place if you try to tighten a nut  on it.

I'm wondering if coating the stud with JB Weld and letting it cure would be strong enough, or do I just rethread the hole for the next size larger stud?

Ingeco sideshaft
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 01:44:15 AM »
Just added a couple pictures in a new photo album called Ingeco.
Shows how I drilled the hole for the exhaust manifold.  Plus a picture with the new exhaust stack mounted for the first test run.  Sounds a lot nicer than straight out the side of the head!

Ingeco sideshaft
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 05:43:44 PM »
How long did it take to drill it that way? I would figure a way to adapt a drill motor onto it. Usually I grind the old stud off flush and heli-coil it with a new stud the same as the original.
Dave E

Ingeco sideshaft
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 05:43:18 PM »
Didn't take very long to drill it.  Probably took longer to find my Cole drill and get it set up to do the drilling.

Plus I was enlarging an existing hole that had stripped threads.

First time I've used helicoils and seemed to go well.