Hello Guest

Should I or shouldn't I - Case 1070

• 8 Replies
« on: August 19, 2010, 07:51:44 PM »
I have been tinkering with this a few hours this week.  They said it ran last year, and my son agreed.  I have charged and put a battery in it, new starter solenoid. Today a battery clamp broke, so I need one of those. And a valve stem.  Maybe it will run this weekend. The price seems right, they have the dual, and side curtains for it.

If it does not start easy, I may let it sit.

Paul

http://www.atis.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=522

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 09:21:43 PM »
Paul;
Keep me posted on this. Hopefully I can be of some help. I owned a 1070 for a while in a previous life. Is it power shift?... Gene

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 10:24:51 PM »
It says something like that, power shift.  No shift stick on the floor, all on the side. They used it last year to bush hog about 10 acres. Hopefull it will still move. I don't think I have anything to haul it on.
Paul

RG8800

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 12:43:40 AM »
Well it does look a little rough and I wouldn' t want to give much for it unless I could drive it and see everything works. The shifters will be on the right console regardless if it is 12 speed power shift or 8 speed standard. My brother has my Uncle's 970 and its a fairly good old tractor.
Ralph in Sask.

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 09:57:50 PM »
Today I put a new battery clamp on, put a new valve stem in and air.  Put the battery charger on high and turned the key .... it turned over! I decided to let it turn over for a few seconds  .... it started within 2 seconds. My brother and I were amazed.  I could not get it into all gears, shifters may be gummed up. It is a 12 speed power shift. What is powershift. It needs a clutch or gears grind. I moved it enough to know it moves and 3 pt works.  It got hot in that cab in a hurry today!!
Paul

RG8800

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 01:16:14 AM »
Paul , the 12 speed power shift transmission has 4 gears (the longer lever to the right side of the console). The shorter lever beside it is the range shift lever and this is the one that you can power shift on the go without clutching from 1-2-3rd range. Same thing going down. They are not the smoothest of power shifts, just the way they are I guess. Brakes are a weak point on these as my brother's 970. The park brake lever is easily forgotten and when you drive away with it applied it soon heats up the brakes. Do this a time or two and the brakes become pretty poor. Hopefully yours is ok but it would not surprise me if they are burnt.
Ralph in Sask.

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 09:17:28 PM »
Thanks that helped me to understand. Basically 4 forward, with 3 ranges in each. And no they are not smooth, but by dam you know they are there. I drove it the 18 miles home today. Some lights work, most of the gauges, but not the tach, A few of the lights, 3pt is strong,, and remotes seem OK. It has a set of dual tires to go with it, and I have the side curtains. I will keep it or turn a nickle. I think I will forget the parking brake is there, unless gears won't hold it on a slope.

http://www.atis.net/forums/album.php?albumid=22&attachmentid=526  
Paul

RG8800

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 10:59:47 AM »
Quote from: pwaugh;1289
Thanks that helped me to understand. Basically 4 forward, with 3 ranges in each. And no they are not smooth, but by dam you know they are there. I drove it the 18 miles home today. Some lights work, most of the gauges, but not the tach, A few of the lights, 3pt is strong,, and remotes seem OK. It has a set of dual tires to go with it, and I have the side curtains. I will keep it or turn a nickle. I think I will forget the parking brake is there, unless gears won't hold it on a slope.
Paul

I am not sure if this power shift transmission will hold in gear when the engine is shut down.
Ralph in Sask.

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 09:00:54 PM »
Quote from: RG8800;1292
I am not sure if this power shift transmission will hold in gear when the engine is shut down.

I don't think it does either. I do not trust gears to hold it.