Hello Guest

Western Ohio Update

• 1194 Replies
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1155 on: February 21, 2017, 11:08:35 PM »
Hopefully, Gene, your gums will harden in time so you can get along with your teeth.  Mine never fit correctly from day one and that was the problem.  Sadly, I made a deal with the dentist where I paid him in advance to get a discount on the teeth.  Bad move as then after the fact I had no leverage to get the teeth corrected.  I think he did not like it much when I asked him if he was sure my teeth did not get mixed up with someone else s.  My brother once said I had it backward because I wore them but took them out to eat.  He thought some people did it the other way around.  I hear the implants work pretty well but I know a guy who paid 35 grand to get those about three years ago.  I will say that I managed to gum my way through a delicious Porterhouse Steak the other night.  At the price I do not do it often, but once in a while.  The secret is in the cutting.  I sort of let the knife do the chewing by cutting very thin slices.  If I cut larger (normal) bites I will think I am an Indian gal tanning leather.

It sounds like you are making great progress on the new shop.  That will be nice enough to live in when finished.  Presume you have a dry wall T square for marking out your panel cuts, or maybe with your new saw set up that is not necessary????

Sure is some good February weather.  Calling for temps. in the high 60's to 70 the rest of the week.  O;K with me but some bulb plants might sprout prematurely, then freeze off.  I am guessing the fruit growers have to worry on that too.

Hope Ralph's back has recovered.  That kind of pain can really slow a man down.  I think your Mercury will have the hard to find four inch stroke crankshaft, Ralph.

charlie
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 11:12:07 PM by Charlie V »

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1156 on: February 24, 2017, 08:28:34 AM »
Nice day to work in the new shop yesterday. Took a few pictures of the track saw and some of the paneling. Charlie, I don't have a drywall square, but the track saw is doing a good job with some careful measurement.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]982[/ATTACH],[ATTACH=CONFIG]983[/ATTACH],[ATTACH=CONFIG]984[/ATTACH],[ATTACH=CONFIG]985[/ATTACH]

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1157 on: February 24, 2017, 09:30:02 PM »
That looks like a nice tool, Gene.  Nice straight cuts w/o trying to follow a line.  Never have seen one before.  They tell me our February spring is about over.  Sure was nice while it lasted.  It was great to get out yesterday and start the two Hondas.  they have not been run for months and I didn't want the gas to gum in the Carburetors. been there, done that. Not much room to get the little buggers out and back in.  

Charlie

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1158 on: February 25, 2017, 08:33:29 PM »
Gene it looks like that new shop is going to be nice enough to live in. Charlie, winter has returned here as we heading down to zero tonight. Still hanging on to some of our snow but we lost some this past week. My nephew shot some drone video at their farm this past weekend and it looks pretty white from above.
[video=youtube;nYIXnT2O0GM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYIXnT2O0GM[/video]
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1159 on: February 26, 2017, 07:19:28 AM »
Charlie the Shop Fox sure makes straight cuts easy but only as accurate is the measurements

Weather turned cold again yesterday. Had 28 degrees all day yesterday with snow flurries and 35 MPH winds. Not a good day to be outside. Mostly stayed in the house and enjoyed the warm fire.

Have our first 2017 directors meeting at Portland today. Got lots of items to discuss for the upcoming year.

Gene

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1160 on: March 05, 2017, 08:39:36 PM »
Not an antique yet but it is nearly 40 years old now. Some video here from last week as I cleared snow in  the yard with the 2090 Case. Mild days , cold nights and our snow is hanging on. More predicted to fall tomorrow.
[video=youtube;k4mo3XD5Ouo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4mo3XD5Ouo&feature=youtu.be[/video]
Ralph in Sask.

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1161 on: April 17, 2017, 10:06:00 AM »
My goodness, over a month passes and nobody has said a word here? I've been busy, only a little, but did find time to shoot some video while starting up the old 730 Case on the weekend. Used it to push some dead carraganna trees into a pile where I'd been hedge trimming. Started and ran as good as ever. Like it was still 1963.
[video=youtube;qGgTyrLVEKY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGgTyrLVEKY[/video]
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1162 on: April 19, 2017, 05:05:30 PM »
Hey Ralph,

Your 730 sounds good on a cold start.  The manifold heater must work good as it did not fill the shed with blue smoke on a cold start after standing for months.  I like diesels for the way they start when properly done.  

Won't be long now before you and Gene are rolling some soil and blowing in some seed.  Maybe Gene drills his.?? As tall as the grass is now, I will be sitting on the mower.  Looks like expected rain will hold that work off a few days.  Hope yoou folks have a good spring.

Charlie

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1163 on: April 21, 2017, 07:34:57 PM »
Charlie, I have been turning a little dirt last 3 days. Started out by working the sweet corn patch on Wednesday. Worked some extra ground and invited the daughter and son in law to plant some garden. Hope they take me up on that.Had the Case 970 out on Wednesday afternoon to work down some sod I plowed up from plowing up some of the airstrip so that will give me another acre to plant.

Will be raising corn this year. I don't have a planter so neighbor will plant my corn when he plants his field next to me.I worked about 12 acres on Thursday with the Case 700 and field cultivator. Was about 77 degrees yesterday so was a nice day to be[ out on the tractors. Turned out cold at 52 degrees today, so did some inside work and a little laundry. Neighbor has a 12 row planter, so won't take long to plant my 21 acres.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]986[/ATTACH],[ATTACH=CONFIG]987[/ATTACH],[ATTACH=CONFIG]988[/ATTACH],[ATTACH=CONFIG]989[/ATTACH],[ATTACH=CONFIG]989[/ATTACH],[ATTACH=CONFIG]990[/ATTACH]

Some pictures of the fruit tree blooms. Lots of white.

Gene

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1164 on: April 24, 2017, 03:08:29 PM »
We have had a setback here in Sask. with a few inches of new wet snow overnight. No good weather  forecast for the rest of the week either. So what we thought was going to be an early spring is now starting to look like a normal or possibly late start in the field.
This was the view out my window this morning. Air seeder sitting in the snow. At least it covered up the water that had accumulated from the last rain.
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1165 on: April 26, 2017, 07:45:27 AM »
Warm and dry here in Ohio. Tractors and horses working everywhere. Ground very dry and would welcome some rain, which is predicted for Thursday and Friday.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1166 on: May 03, 2017, 05:43:07 AM »
Careful what you wish for. After my last post about being dry was answered by more than 3.5 inches of rain starting last Thursday. The dry ground is doing a good drinking in the water, but will still be a few days, even if we get some sunshine. Cloudy and cooler weather will slow the process. This coming week is the prime time for planting corn and soybeans in Ohio. Thankfully we are missing the severe storms that seem to be plaguing southern U.S.

Gene

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1167 on: May 06, 2017, 11:59:17 AM »
You have that right, Gene.  Water, water everywhere. I have not put my rain gauge upright yet because we are not yet finished with below freezing nights.   Not sure how much rainfall in the past two weeks, but a lot of it.  Have mowed lawn 2 and 1/2 times.  The last time was last Thursday.  Could not do it all as some was a pond but got a good part of it.  Had to do it then because of all the rain starting Thursday afternoon, through Friday and today.  Doubt it will be dry enough for at least another week.  Yesterday I did notice some high ground worked over on Rt. 20 but most is too saturated.  Looks like crops will be starting a little late this year.  Winter wheat is sure looking green and happy though.  I sent a text to my daughter who lives here in NY yesterday, Gene.  Ser replied that she had just arrived in her older sisters driveway.  That would be in Delaware O.  Guess that means that all three of my girls are in Ohio at the moment.  

I see that Ralph is keeping busy loking above the clouds to find sunshine.  You get your flying machine up pretty high, Ralph.  Not only he put a new oil line on the Mercury and fired it up with a 15 year old battery.  Nice job with your videos, Ralph.  Keep them coming.  

Not sure what Dean has been up to.  Most likely cleaning and waxing those classic tractors and feeding cats..

Charlie

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1168 on: May 25, 2017, 10:16:42 PM »
Quote from: Charlie V;2849

I see that Ralph is keeping busy loking above the clouds to find sunshine.  You get your flying machine up pretty high, Ralph.  Not only he put a new oil line on the Mercury and fired it up with a 15 year old battery.  Nice job with your videos, Ralph.  Keep them coming.  

Not sure what Dean has been up to.  Most likely cleaning and waxing those classic tractors and feeding cats..

Charlie

I've been working steady and overtime most days for the past 3 weeks. Getting rid of last year's flax crop and straw took time and put me behind for applying anhydrous. They full speed ahead on seeding with the usual little breakdowns and holdups. I still managed to get about 99% finished as of last night thanks to a long stretch of dry weather. Kind  of nice to have a break today as it rained a little and gave me a chance to plant some garden stuff. Early potatoes are up.
I've had no time to drive the Merc or fly the drone but my nephew did get some great drone  video of me running the magnum and air seeder recently. I'm just uploading a video to youtube now. Here is  a "still".
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1169 on: May 29, 2017, 11:03:10 PM »
Great job with the video, Ralph.  Guess I have watched it about three times now.  Pretty tiny on my phone but good on the laptop.  Great that you got good weather to get the Canola in the ground.  Hope conditions hold good for the growing season.  

I see a fair amount of ground here that looks like it might be seeded.  Probably mostly corn ground but cannot say for sure as nothing is sprouted.  I suspect planting is behind schedule here due to all of the rain.  One report a few days ago claimed seven plus inches for the month of May so anyone not on high, well drained ground is not working yet.  It will take some warm sun to germinate seed already in the ground. Last Thursday for example we had two inches of rain in 12 hours, and so it goes. A few all time weather records being broken.

I am sure you have heard that Lake Ontario is trying to devour all of NY state and half of Canada.  The commission that regulates Lake level  claims the 2014  plan implemented last fall is not the cause, but just coincidentally, the Lake is at it's highest level ever recorded, currently.  Many opposed the 2014 plan saying this is exactly what would happen if there was a wetter than average spring.  The US and Canada in their infinite wisdom,passed the plan .  Bottom line is the tree huggers who wanted more water in wetlands around the Lake sure got it. Others are suffering millions of dollars in losses,

With my retired, old man life style my planting mostly consists of putting a couple dozen plants in flower pots and that endeavor is progressing well.  I gave up on a garden some years ago when my wife talked me into planting my garden plot to lawn.  Probably a good move.  Every time the garden was rained on, then dried out, the clay pretty much turned to stone so I was to the tiller.

Charlie
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 11:07:13 PM by Charlie V »