Hello Guest

Western Ohio Update

• 1194 Replies

RG8800

• View Profile
Finally Got Our Rain
« Reply #1170 on: June 14, 2017, 10:19:49 PM »
Crops, gardens and grass were starting to need a drink. No significant rain fell for a month until last night. I hear we have had over an inch in an all day rain which is just what we needed. Things were growing surprisingly well considering. Although the lawns were getting a bit dead looking on the high spots.
Early potatoes are up and hilled just in time for the rain. We have had a bit cooler than normal weather most of the time which helps keep things growing.
I spent a little time out on the "big water" on the weekend by my brother's farm yard. Uploading a video to youtube of it at the moment. See we have plenty of moisture here. Just not well distributed. :D
[ATTACH=CONFIG]993[/ATTACH]
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1171 on: June 16, 2017, 09:02:21 PM »
that inch of new water should give your crops a little boost, Ralph.  We wee not all that dry here, but yesterday gave us just over three inches of rain.  Probably good for seedings on high ground.  Most likely some ponding on low ground.  All of my flower plants look like they enjoyed the rain but I keep them pretty well watered anyway.  Today would have been my normal day to mow grass (as  but in a morning check I found standing water on the ground (as expected) in several places.  With the hot sun and breeze it will be dry enough by later tomorrow.  

Beautiful evening here on the back deck tonight.  A few pesky insects but not many.  Light is getting dim now as the sun sets.  I went yesterday and had a full eye exam and got measured for new lenses.  Drs. are not sure how mush getting rid of the cataracts will help  as the MD is also part of my vision loss. The cataract removal will help some and I sure hope it helps a lot.

Charlie

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1172 on: June 26, 2017, 09:59:53 PM »
Charlie, my dad had cataracts removed in his 80s and I think it helped him. He also had MD. Hope it is not hereditary but with my luck probably is.
Busy as usual here just getting caught up with crop spraying. Unhithed from the sprayer and need to hook up with the haybine any day soon. Crops all looking pretty good and there is going to be a lot of yellow around here in a couple of weeks as canola blooms. No blue here this year as I've kicked the flax habit after the last disastrous crop. Life is too short to spend time fighting flax straw.
Got a new drone battery on warranty so looking forward to some flight time soon.
Saw the first potato bloom last week.
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1173 on: June 27, 2017, 12:04:13 AM »
Looks like the hood of the Case in your photo, Ralph.  Lucky for you to have decent weather for spraying crops.  Rain and more rain here.  Three inches a week ago Thursday and I have had at least three inches more since then, including an inch today.  Mowed Saturday and had to abort about 1/3 of the lawn due to standing water on the ground.  Guess it will continue to grow until the weather decides to change.  Calling for a high only in the 60's tomorrow and more rain.  I did see some corn this evening that looked about a foot tall on high, well drained ground.  That is about the best I have seen so far this year.  Glad not to be a crop farmer right now.  My BP is already high enough.  

Charlie

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1174 on: June 29, 2017, 10:49:21 AM »
Quote from: Charlie V;2855
Looks like the hood of the Case in your photo, Ralph.  Lucky for you to have decent weather for spraying crops.  Rain and more rain here.  Three inches a week ago Thursday
Charlie

Yes, the old 2090 and pull type sprayer got me through another season of spraying but I'm sure envious of those self propelleds that fold without the driver having to get out of the cab.
I don't think we have had 3 inches of rain yet this whole season. Crops are hanging on by stored subsoil moisture but they are going to need some real rain. Lucky we are not getting the heat. Most days in the 70s.
Here is a drone video I shot back in march when it was obviously still winter here. My brother driving the fuel truck out of my yard.
[video=youtube;M2H2f0Pk15s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2H2f0Pk15s&feature=youtu.be[/video]
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1175 on: July 14, 2017, 08:37:28 PM »
Oh good.  This web sight is back up.  Thank you Spencer.  I was worried it might have been hit by an astroid or???
Six and one eighth inches of rain.  Wednesday AM till Friday AM.  PRETTY WET

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1176 on: July 18, 2017, 03:36:23 PM »
Quote from: Charlie V;2857
Oh good.  This web sight is back up.  Thank you Spencer.  I was worried it might have been hit by an astroid or???
Six and one eighth inches of rain.  Wednesday AM till Friday AM.  PRETTY WET

I never knew the site was down Charlie. Sure am envious of at least some of your rain. I don't think there has been an inch of rain on my yard since the snow left. Crops are surviving  on the subsoil moisture stored up from the past 7 years of floods I guess. Looking not too bad. Mainly due to  the fact we have  not had  the extreme heat like we did in 1988. That year we had a little more rain but a lot  hotter too. Short short crops that year.
Drone pic here of me and the Merc by the back road beside my wheat field on the weekend.
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1177 on: July 21, 2017, 08:45:52 PM »
Really nice picture f the Mercury. Ralph.  Hope you have gotten a few drops of rain for your crops.  Had some here yesterday that you probably would not want.  1 3/4 inches in about 1/2 hour with high wind.  I looked out the back door and water was coming down in gobs.  Never saw anything like that before.  Rather than drops or sheets it looked like someone was out there throwing five gallon buckets of water past my window.  Gobs of water is the only description that comes to mind.  Back of my house sure got a pressure washings.  If I could send you some rain, I would, but not storms that would flatten your crops.  So that brings us to 7 3/4 inches from Wednesday to Wednesday.  Keeping my sump pump down cellar working overtime. trees are growing like mad.

charlie

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1178 on: July 23, 2017, 10:04:51 PM »
No luck at all with the rain here Charlie. We are still working on that first inch yet to fall since spring. Subsoil moisture is all that keeps us going. Not too terrible hot although today was 85 and we had a day or so of 90 which had a visible negative effect on the light hilltops in my crop and others. No hope in sight for rain either. I've tentatively agreed to use one of my Cockhutts for next weekend's threshing demo in town. Not sure how that will work but I guess I'll find out.
Here is another start up video where we got my brother's Massey 444 and Ford 6000 Commander tractor fired up after a long rest. Maybe you have already seen it but for those who haven't  
[video=youtube;_jI0LN03tsg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jI0LN03tsg&t=2s[/video]
Ralph in Sask.

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1179 on: September 29, 2017, 09:58:31 AM »
Been a long time since I've seen any activity here but I'll post a link to my latest Gopro + drone video anyway. Harvest done and awesome scenery in beautiful weather. Took a little drive in the Merc down the highway and through the woods to get some great scenery of the autumn leaves. Have to enjoy them while they last because it won't last for long.
[video]https://youtu.be/mE5QzXoXkbo[/video]
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1180 on: September 30, 2017, 09:40:54 PM »
Hey Ralph!  Good to see your post.  Long time.  I still check in most every day to see if there is activity here.  I guess I do not post much as I don't have much to post about. We need a conversation starter.  Guess that is you at the moment.  Nice video of the Mercury taking a tour of your woods. The type of trees you have yield a lot of yellow in the fall.Nice.  Different from here .  We get some yellow but also some brilliant (some years) red, orange, and brown as well.  At this point we have some color change but a ways to go to peak color change.  Makes me wish I had a drone to film the tree tops, as that is where the first change occurs, with some of the most brilliant color.  Wish I could share that with you.  

Aside from that, we finally broke out from the rainy weather cycle that lasted all summer.  Ran a 20 day dry streak   Broke it with about 1/4 inch of rain last night.  Also broke the 10 day period of real summer weather we had going on.  Several days above 90 degrees but nice nights in the 60's. Nice while it lasted.  

finally got through my eye surgeries and the 30 days of three drops three times a day.  Got new glasses a week or so ago, but not too very happy with the vision ta=hat I have now.  Maybe better than it was to begin with but not that much.  Still unable to read normal print.  Distance vision is still somewhat spotty.  I am pushing for a new examination to see if they can come up with anything better.

Good that your crops did well for the dry conditions you had this season.  Watched your film of swathing Canola.  You get to do a lot of tuning with the shape of your fields.  Makes a great roan video.  Enjoyed watching.

Charlie

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1181 on: October 08, 2017, 04:34:36 PM »
Hi CHarlie
Glad you got that surgery over with and on the mend. Hope it is satisfactory and improved.
Harvest done here although I  have  potatoes to dig. Got myself a new old tractor this week. A 1981 John Deere 2140. Great little Mannheim built 70 hp tractor with a 146 front end loader. It  will be an improvement on the old Massey as  it  has working brakes, pto and steering.
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1182 on: October 11, 2017, 12:48:34 PM »
good looking chore tractor, Ralph.  Appears to be well kept.  I could make use of it here.  Hopefully one day I will get my 560 back on it's feet and workiing.  I miss having it to use.

Charlie

RG8800

• View Profile
Winter is Here
« Reply #1183 on: November 04, 2017, 08:45:39 PM »
November 4 and it looks like winter is here in Sask. Maybe 5 inches of snow overnight. Temp just over 20 degrees and the sun came out so I went for a short drive in the Merc. Good thing harvest is long finished here.
Ralph in Sask.

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1184 on: December 14, 2017, 10:21:22 AM »
Sure is quiet here for the past month. That snow from early November has partly melted. Lots of ice patches to slip on. I got some more rusty iron to work on this week. A 53 Merc sedan to match the 52 I've been driving. Its a non runner but if nothing else I've at least saved it from the crushers. The body is better than my 52. Tractor reference: I used the "new to me" John Deere 2140 to unload the car from the trailer.
[video]https://youtu.be/Pk1flwQM4QY[/video]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]998[/ATTACH]
Ralph in Sask.