Hello Guest

Fruit Of The Earth

• 31 Replies
Fruit Of The Earth
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 08:26:19 AM »
Interesting observation made yesterday. I took my airplane to Muncie, Indiana to have radios installed. A flight of about 70 miles. On the trip home in the afternoon, I was able to watch several farmers planting corn and soybeans. Saw several of the big air seeders at work. The big seed hoppers on these units really stand out from 3500 foot altitude. Also saw other large conventional planters also working. Large farmer that farms the ground next to me runs 2 , 48 row planters. One set up for corn and the other set for soybeans.

The last couple weeks in eastern Indiana and northwest Ohio has been wet. Not heavy rains, but frequent rains to keep the soil just a little too wet to work. Hay crop has been early by about 10 days with ideal drying weather this week. Mowed my hay on Sunday and baled it Wednesday. Got about 300 bales from the 3 1/2 acres.

Gene

RG8800

• View Profile
Fruit Of The Earth
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 01:44:34 AM »
Much the same here Gene. And more rain on the way. I"m thankful to be nearlly finished but that last 40 acres is still calling me. With more rain falling and forecast for the whole weekend I guess it will be June before I have a tractor in the field again.
Yes the big air seeders/drills are impressive. A neighbour has one that is over 70 feet wide. Holds about 650 bushels and takes a good big tractor to pull it. Makes my little 28 footer with 115 bushels look like a toy.
Ralph in Sask.

Fruit Of The Earth
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 05:11:51 AM »
The ground right around my area has dried out and the tractors and planters are rolling again. Corn planting not completed is probably too late and soybeans going in now. Area northwest of me in Auglaize county got a heavy shower on Thursday night, so after 2 or 3 good days, they are on hold again.
Wapakoneta is hosting the Buckeeye Farm Antiques show thise weekend, so the grounds were muddy for the first half day on Friday, but the mud dried up nicely by noon and rest of the day was nearly ideal with temps in the low 80's and a light breeze. A real nice show and good turnout of exhibitors, vendors and spectators.

Gene

Fruit Of The Earth
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 09:40:06 PM »
It was a surprise to see a 50 or so acre piece of ground this evening in the next county south (actually only about four miles away)  with the corn not only sprouted, but nice even plants 6-8 inches tall.  The ground was a gentle hillside which probably drains well enough to be early ground.  Nice to see, anyway.

Charlie V.

Fruit Of The Earth
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2010, 11:29:54 AM »
Around my area, the early planted corn is doing very well. The Amish are even cultivating their early planted corn. The first week in May was a great week for planting. The ground was dry in the tillage zone and plenty moisture below. We have not had any really hard rains, just nice growing rains. Just enough to keep the equipment off the ground fir the last 2 weeks. Now that it has dried, all the late farmers are working hard to get caught up. Seems we always lose 2 weeks in May due to rains. Has been like that the last 5 years. The past week was ideal weather for making hay. It is about 10 days ahead of normal and yielding very well. I have a couple custom jobs to get done this week. Hope the weather holds off, but forecast is for a couple of days of rain this week.

My sweet corn is doing well. Up at about 5 inches. Planted some popcorn Friday. Daughters both got automatic corn poppers for Christmas and I told them I would grow some for them. Planted enough for 10 families if it all grows.

Happy Vets Day to all.

Gene

Fruit Of The Earth
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2010, 09:42:52 PM »
Here are a few pictures of local crops taken today, June 6, 2010.  My camera went senile again, so the dates on the pictures were not correct.  We have seen 2.8 inches of rain here in the past 36 hours.  With two or three days of sunshine, I suspect these crops will take another jump.

Charlie V.

Corn

Winter Wheat

Second Cutting Alfalfa
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 12:51:27 PM by Charlie V »

Fruit Of The Earth
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2010, 12:48:48 PM »
Charlie, what are you doing to get the larger picture displayed?
Dave E

Fruit Of The Earth
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2010, 09:58:13 PM »
I size them first, then upload to Fotki, Dave. From there I link them to here with "insert image" from the little toolbar above.  I have a step by step written up.  Let me know if you are interested and I can e-mail it to you off list.

Charlie V.

RG8800

• View Profile
Fruit Of The Earth
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2010, 04:41:46 PM »
Crops are looking good there Charlie. Too much rain here and only about 70% of the crops in Sask are planted. The rest might not get planted as it is getting late and the fields are wetter than we have seen them before. Wonder how it will affect the auction sale prices? Just spotted this Cockshutt 428 combine selling today in Alberta. You don't often see a 50 year old combine looking that good right off the farm.
Ralph in Sask.

Fruit Of The Earth
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2010, 09:20:04 PM »
That one sure looks like it spent it's life stored indoors, Ralph.  Since Grant ( I think it was) on the tractor list mentioned that older combines are hard to find in California, I tend to notice them when I see them locally.  Here is a list of those posted lately on Craig's list.  Seem to be more than normal available.

Jun 9 - Allis Chalmers Combine -  $500 (Honeoye/Bristol)  pic

Jun 3 - JOHN DEERE 400 COMBINE - $2200 (Penn Yan) pic

May 21 - GLEANER "F" COMBINE grain head - $800 (spencerport) pic

May 7 - 7720 John Deer Combine, four wheel drive - $15000 (Bloomfield,NY)

May 2 - 1965 Bidwell #37 Combine - $100 (Bergen, NY) pic

May 2 - GLEANER F COMBINE - $1200 (Spencerport) pic

Apr 23 - John Deere Combine -1970's - (Bergen NY)

Charlie V.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 09:22:07 PM by Charlie V »

Fruit Of The Earth
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2010, 07:50:57 PM »
Nice combine picture Ralph. Don't see them here in the midwest. About what year would thet have been made?

Been wet here in western Ohio for the past week. Have had about 4 inches of rain since last Saturday. Figures, I mowed about 6 acres of hay I do on a custom job a week ago Friday, got 1 1/2 inches of rain on Saturday and  Sunday. Couple showers on Monday. Thursday thought it was dry enough to rake and then rerake the windrows on Friday and bale in the afternoon. Guess what? 1 1/2 inches of rain early Friday morning then another half inch on Saturday. Today was hot, humid, but sunny. Maybe we have the wet spell behind us.

I was in eastern Indiana last weekend. They were much wetter there thay we are here. Lots of water standing in the fields. Still a lot of ground to be planted there. Went to an auction there and we were wading in soupy mud. Only 4 wheel drive trucks chanced parking in the field and they were leaving tracks. Fortunately it was a wide road and people could park on both sides without impeding traffic. I came home that evening and hoed my garden. Needs it again but too wet right now. Forecast looks like if we get past Tuesday we should be out of the woods.

Hoping to go to a sale on Wednesday. Be my luck the hay will be ready to bale then.

Gene

RG8800

• View Profile
Fruit Of The Earth
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2010, 05:15:55 PM »
Quote from: Gene Dotson;1244
Nice combine picture Ralph. Don't see them here in the midwest. About what year would thet have been made?

Hoping to go to a sale on Wednesday. Be my luck the hay will be ready to bale then.

Gene

Gene, that 428 Cockshutt was the last of the low mount engines , after that they went to top side engines. Much easier to work on. I'd guess about 1960 was the last year for that 428. Seems to me I have seen some painted yellow like this one. Been a long time since you could buy a new combine for under $7000.
Ralph in Sask.

Fruit Of The Earth
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2010, 08:35:44 PM »
Didn't make it to the sale last night. Stayed home and mowed grass instead.

Just as well as I have been looking for a haybine and there was one at this sale. Never been able to buy one at auction. Picked up the local county booster and was one for sale a lot closer. Called the gut about 6:30. Must have still been in bed as he didn't answer the phone, but called back just a few minutes later. I was there by 7:30 and it is a pretty decent New Holland 479 Haybine. Good rolls, cutter bar, tires and sheet metal. Wrote the check for $1200.00 and after a struggle, we finally got it on the transport lock. Hooked it behind the Jeep Grand Cherokee and towed it home. Boy, does that take up a lot of road with the 9 foot cut. Didn't get any mailboxes though. Took county roads and very little traffic.

My main concern was if my Case 700 would have enough hydraulic power to raise it. I took off the 3 inch cylinder and replaced it with the 3 1/2 inch cylinder from my cultimulcher. With engine just above idle, it picked it right up. Hoses are even the right length. Only need to check it over and give it a good grease job and be ready to cut hay.

My second cutting alfalfa is really growing fast and starting to bloom now and about 15 inches high. Hope to get that in before July 4, but predicting more rain from Sunday through Wednesday.

The custom hay job is still on the field. I reraked the windrows this morning. Still standing water in the field and a lot of the hay was still saturated uderneath. Just have to work th higher, drier parts of the field to get anything baled. 5 inches of rain the last 10 days is not good for down hay.

Gene

Fruit Of The Earth
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2010, 08:45:53 PM »
Quote from: RG8800;1245
Gene, that 428 Cockshutt was the last of the low mount engines , after that they went to top side engines. Much easier to work on. I'd guess about 1960 was the last year for that 428. Seems to me I have seen some painted yellow like this one. Been a long time since you could buy a new combine for under $7000.

Ralph;

I don't recall the Oliver model sold here in the states. I am thinking it may have been a model 42 or 420. A few of the smaller models, the 2XX series were sold here. Later model with the high engine were more popular, especially the 4XX series. This became the White 7300 like I have. 2XX series were considered 2 row machines and the 4XX were 3 and 4 row machines. Combines here were typically sized by number of corn rows they could handle after they started harvesting corn with them.

Gene

RG8800

• View Profile
Fruit Of The Earth
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2010, 10:48:22 PM »
Gene, at the time Cockshutt was selling the 428 series I believe Oliver was marketing their own design combine which was a totally different machine. Once the top engine models came out, like the Cockshutt 431, I think Oliver was a part of the same company (White) and then Oliver combines were just green painted Cockshutts.
Now this old ad from the late 40s shows a "real" Oliver at work.
Ralph in Sask.