Hello Guest

Fairbanks Verticals

• 13 Replies
Fairbanks Verticals
« on: November 02, 2009, 12:47:52 PM »
The engines are here from Montana. As the previous owner said, they're mostly complete. Mostly. Ignitors drilled out for spark plugs, both cylinders with freeze breaks,short a fuel pump, missing both fuel pump linkages and so on. I still believe I got my money's worth but it is going to take a lot to get them going. I needed a winter project and ****ed sure got one. Wonder if it is going to censor out the ****ed?
Dave E

Fairbanks Verticals
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 02:23:02 PM »
Dave,

I have a few extra  2hp F-M T parts from an engine I bought years ago.

I think I have an ignitor, and possibly a fuel pump.

I'll have to look to see what I have.

Fairbanks Verticals
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 09:15:09 PM »
Dave,

I added a photo album of the engine parts I have that may fit your engines.  Take a look and see if they are what you need.

George

Fairbanks Verticals
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 10:43:04 AM »
Just purhased another one in pieces. It is in southern california. Seems like there are plenty of different type of engines available out there in the condition like the last two I've purchased. Seems they take them apart, see how much work or dollars it's going to take and then quit leaving them apart.
Dave E

Fairbanks Verticals
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 10:59:01 AM »
George,
I finally got to the fuel pump stage and guess what? The pump ypu sent me is a "mirror image" or exactly opposite in the mounting pattern. Someone told me it might fit an H or N model. Any idea where you got it?
Dave E

Fairbanks Verticals
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 05:08:26 PM »
Quote from: DaveErnst;1039
George,
I finally got to the fuel pump stage and guess what? The pump ypu sent me is a "mirror image" or exactly opposite in the mounting pattern. Someone told me it might fit an H or N model. Any idea where you got it?

Dave,

I bought a 2hp T engine many years ago and the parts I sent you were the last of the parts I got with the engine when I got it.  I've never had a H or N F-M.

Fairbanks Verticals
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 03:48:05 PM »
Going to Turlock, Ca tomorrow to pick up 2 cast bases for them. Otherwise, they're both completed and running. I'll post pictures when I have them mounted to the bases.
Dave E

Fairbanks Verticals
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 12:44:49 PM »
I just picked up my latest Fairbanks vertical engine. It's a 6 hp hoist engine complete with the original hoist. The engine is mounted on the same base as the hoist drum, and the engine block is cast with a housing to carry the main bull gear shaft. It's a 1912.
Dave E

Fairbanks Verticals
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 09:48:20 PM »
Wow.  What a nice old piece of machinery.  The drive gears of the winch look like they were just cut yesterday.

Charlie V.

Fairbanks Verticals
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 10:32:22 AM »
Getting ready for the show next weekend. We now have 17 Fairbanks verticals committed for the show. Here are 4, 3 and a 2 hp engines ready to load.
Dave E

Fairbanks Verticals
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 08:18:43 AM »
Nice picture, Dave.  That is work you can be proud of.  

Charlie V.

Fairbanks Verticals
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 05:29:31 PM »
I'll post pictures of them when they're all lined up.
Dave E

Fairbanks Verticals
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 11:38:49 AM »
As an update, one of the engines failed to gain enough compression to run as it should after a couple of seasons of it being at shows. I distinctly remember telling myself I didn't need to check the cylinder taper-it looked good enough. Well, I dismantled it a month ago and found .018 thousands taper. Off it went to the machine shop and had a sleeve inserted. Now and a couple of hundred $ later it runs as it should. Got lazy and took a shortcut and ultimately paid for it....
Dave E

Fairbanks Verticals
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 01:29:30 PM »
Dave,

If you check this forum sometime this year, here is something for you to consider for 2013.
The 2013 show at Antique Powerland (Brooks OR) will be featuring vertical engines.

I know you have a bunch of verticals, so you might want to bring a few of them up for the show.

George