Hello Guest

Maxwell Steel wheels

• 7 Replies
Maxwell Steel wheels
« on: October 20, 2008, 02:35:08 PM »
I mentioned this on the general list as well, but I thought I'd see if anyone here has ever heard of Maxwell Steel wheels?  They were made as an attachment for a rubber tired tractor, kind of like complex wheel weights.  When you needed extra traction you would open up the spikes and be able to pull right through (like a giant sunflower).  The wheels were designed by someone in Marshfield, Wisconsin (Mr. Maxwell).  There was a set on e-bay about a month ago and since I have an affinity for things on steel, I bought them and brought them home last weekend (I'll post a photo later on).  I vaguely remember seeing an ad for them in one of my books/magazines, but I can't find it now.  The pair I have were supposed to have come from Mr. Maxwells nephew, and may be the only set in existance.  Has anyone else ever seen/heard anything about these?

Maxwell Steel wheels
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 05:05:07 PM »
So where's the picture?

Would have asked you sooner, but its been about a month since I was last on this forum.

Maxwell Steel wheels
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 04:11:58 PM »
I looked up the patent (#2032293) for the Maxwell Wheel.  The patent was applied for in 1934 and approved in Feb of 1936.

It was a complete wheel meant for driving on roads or hard surfaces by retracting the lugs.  When traction was needed the spikes could be cranked out.

I can email the .pdf file of the patent document to anyone requesting it.  It is too large to have it as an attachment in this forum.

Use this email address:  george@irontrader.com

George
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 04:55:49 PM by GeorgeBest »

Maxwell Steel wheels
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 12:39:21 PM »
Thanks George, I need to get around to posting the photo, I'll try to get that done this weekend.  I'd like to see that patent info, I'll be sending you a seperate e-mail  

Enjoy, Joe

Finally Photos
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 11:54:19 AM »
I guess I had to wait until things thawed out a little.  Here's some pictures of what I have.  Has anyone ever seen such a thing?

Maxwell Steel wheels
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 10:47:42 AM »
Joe,

Thanks for posting the pictures!  Pretty interesting.

They appear to be a traction aid device that would bolt on like extension rims.  I've never seen anything like them.

Wonder what they would fit on.

Maxwell Steel wheels
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 01:10:30 PM »
George,

I think they are pretty universal, but I suspect they would bolt right up to a ford 8N, etc.  I really don't know what to do with them, but I thought they would make a nice conversation piece at a show.  I am fairly certain they are a 1-off version, but I'm certain I saw an old advertisement for them in one of my magazines, but ever since I bought them, I haven't been able to find it.  I think Antique Power did a piece on aftermarket items for ford tractors a few years ago and an old add for these were shown.  I'll find it one of these days.

Maxwell Steel wheels
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 05:52:21 PM »
I think that guy Gary Brewer on Smokstak was trying to sell a couple of those a while ago. Interesting pictures, thanks.
Dave E