Hello Guest

Portland, Indiana Show

• 12 Replies
Portland, Indiana Show
« on: August 30, 2009, 10:09:42 PM »
Hi All;
I spent the last 8 days at the Portland, Indiana tractor show. Camped with several of the regular ATIS members at the Tri-State club grounds.

Feature tractors were orphans and oddballs. Had a good showing of Hubers, Rumleys and Silver Kings along with several other makes, many that I was unfamiliar with. Had almost 600 non feature tractors and 156 feature tractors.

I work a lot with the Girard Family Classic threshing crew. I get to visit with the tractor exhibitors and convince them to bring their tractors to run the machines for the demonstrations.

We run a 32x56 Minneapolis and a 24 inch Belle City Threshers and run corn with a shredder, corn sheller and hammer mill. Also have a Papec stationary ensilage cutter and also a groundhog, which is hand fed and the very first mechanical device for threshing grain from the straw. Also have reapers, binders and a clover hauler on static display.

Some tractors running the machines included a Rumley 32-50, a Huber B and I believe a 28-40 and a Case 16 hp and Keck Gonnerman steamer with a Nichols and Shepherd 32-75 Sawmill Special steamer on the sawmill.. I also ran my Case LA on the threshers for 2 sessions.

Was really a great week with very nice, even a little cool, weather and enough rain on Friday night to settle the dust.

Gene
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 10:23:21 PM by Gene Dotson »

Portland, Indiana Show
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 02:35:14 PM »
I was there Wed afternoon to Friday. Weather very nice and we had a great time. Left there $$$'s lighter but happy to be able to.

Portland, Indiana Show
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 09:31:34 PM »
Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun doing demonstrations. When I used to demo my Papec I pulled it with my 12-20 Case. We showed it no mercy. I ran 2 joints of pipe vertical and then the curved pipe cut off to blow it 90 deg. I imagine with a full stack of pipe it would be way too underpowered. My cutter was originally pulled with an Oliver with around 35-45 hp on the belt. The owner always talked about how they never could choke it down!

Portland, Indiana Show
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 07:22:36 AM »
We usually run the "vega-matic" as we call it, with a Farmall regular, or whatever tractor we have sitting around. This year we tried a 6 hp stationary engine on it. Belt speed was too slow, but it had enough power to run it. Next year we hope to have a bigger pulley on it. It was sure a crowd draw though.

Merton, Sorry I didn't get to meet you. Would have been nice to meet some others from the list.

Gene

Portland, Indiana Show
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 01:09:28 PM »
I really need to make it down there one of these years, from the talk on the list, it sounds like it's the show to end all shows.  It sure would be nice to go to a show that has more than 30 tractors and little to no swap meet area.  Maybe next year...

Portland, Indiana Show
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 01:57:34 PM »
Gene - I'll look you up next year in 2010.
Jahaze- Portland is a BIG show! There is a lot to see of everything for everybody there.

Portland, Indiana Show
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 03:47:22 PM »
Did anyone see Spencer at the Portland show?

Just curious if anyone got to talk to him about this forum and what he sees as the future of this forum.

Portland, Indiana Show
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 06:39:56 PM »
George;
Spencer was not at Portland. He was doing a launch of his new project. This has consumed all of his time for quite some time. We talked to him by phone and he was very sorry to miss the show. His project is nearing completion, so hopefully we will hear more from him soon.

Merton;
I can usually be found near the threshing area most of the morning. Just ask anyone there. Better idea would be to come camp with us and spend the whole week like we do. Never a dull minute with our group. Always find something to keep the excitement going. We showed 11 tractors and had an area roped off for ATIS tractors.

Our ATIS group volunteers with many tasks to help with the show. This has earned us the priviledge of having our camping area reserved for us. Also getting involved in different jobs is a lot fun when we do it as a group.

By the way, Portland is the world's largest tractor and engine show with over 50 acres of vendors selling tractor and engines and parts and associated items.

Gene

Portland, Indiana Show
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 08:13:08 AM »
Thanks for the invite Gene. We camped over in the area near the Factory and the Mill. We really enjoyed the cool nights and days this year. Merton

Portland, Indiana Show
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 08:53:41 AM »
Is the show always the last weekend in August?

Portland, Indiana Show
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 10:13:23 AM »
Any of you guys see "Farmer"? He's on the engine list and a big fan of that show.
Dave E

Portland, Indiana Show
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 11:25:17 AM »
Dave
Yes, Farmer camped with us. He brought 2 tractors and 3 implements for exhibit. He arrived with his camper on Thursday afternoon. His stay was shorter than normal due to storm damage and truck troubles. He is always a pleasure to have around.

Merton.
Our ATIS group always camps in the corner of Allis Chalmers and Economy drive. South side of the creek and on the corner by the foot bridge. Usually have the ATIS banner displayed on my motor home. You would be welcome to join us.

Other ATIS members attending were Steve Sewell, Tom Brown, Gary and Larry Dotson, Ivan Cousins, Steve Buttram, Dewey Belytz, Paul Waugh, Brice Adams and maybe a couple of others I have forgotten. Checkers, the parking attendant, is a frequent evening visiter. Several wives were in attendance also.

Evenings are spent around the campfire swapping tales and solving world problems. Wednesday evening we all take our lawn chairs on Gary's trailer and pulled by his nice Cockshutt 20 we have a nice supper ay Bandido's Restaurant. On Thursday evening some of us go to Decatur for the ATIS charity auction and supper at the Back Forty Restaurant.

On Tuesday night we gathered all of our golf carts and butt buggies and toured the campground. We had 9 vehicles in all. Had a blast.

Definitely a fun show!!

Gene
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 11:29:12 AM by Gene Dotson »

Portland, Indiana Show
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 12:37:29 PM »
Gene , We were Close and did not know it. I was riding a Honda Trail 70 bike around the Campgrounds and Portland. I met several new people this year. Maybe I 'll get to talk to you next year.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 12:38:23 PM by Merton »