Hello Guest

Ice Cream Maker Handle

• 4 Replies
Ice Cream Maker Handle
« on: October 12, 2008, 08:57:50 PM »
I am in the process of setting up a 4 qt White Mountain freezer to run with an engine.  I have info on rpms and such, my first problem is removing the present handle (crank) from the shaft. I don't see anyting holding it (etc, rollpin). Are these pressed fit??  Anyone have experience with this??

Thanks, Paul

Ice Cream Maker Handle
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 05:30:33 PM »
Paul,

I don't know how your handle is attached, but another possibility is that it is threaded on.

I've worked on a few things in the past where I was having a hard time getting something off a shaft until I finally realized it was threaded and none of the threads were visible.

Applying some heat to it may help loosen it up enough that it is easier to determine how it comes apart.

George

Ice Cream Maker Handle
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 09:26:50 PM »
That is exactly how the handle on my two gallon ice cream machine was attached.
Mine is not a White Mountain but it works just like one and was made in India.
It was so easy to take my handle off because when I opened the box the handle was not attached. :)

The funny thing was the threads were 1/2-12tpi
Them folks in India must have copied an old freezer too closely :D

I ordered a tap & die and since the pulley I was going to use had a 1" bore I center drilled a piece of 1" rod, tapped it then cut it off about 1 1/4" long to make a bushing for the pulley.

Handle Threads
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 09:54:19 AM »
After being stubborn for many years I finally broke down and did what you did. Ordered both tap and die from Enco yesterday..$45

Dave
Dave E

Ice Cream Maker Handle
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 07:20:35 PM »
Yup, I only needed the tap to make the part for the ice cream freezer.
I just figured I should have the die too.
I forget which engine it is but I think the head studs are 1/2-12 and I am missing one.
In the next week or two I will be re-configuring that freezer and I am sure I will need to make another adapter.
I found a great 20/1 RT angle gear-box so now I don't need to use all those large and small pulleys or the jack-shaft.