Hello Guest

How about posting some tractor threads

• 10 Replies
« on: December 17, 2009, 12:35:24 PM »
I think all of us have tractors.  I may be primarily an engine collector, but I know Dave also has tractors in addition to the engines he has.

Seems that we should be able to get posting going on the tractor side.

George

ps.. your entry for the 8000 member contest better be in soon as we're closing in fast on the 7700 member cutoff.

RG8800

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 01:02:23 PM »
I'll see what I can come up with George. Its been so quiet here that I haven't bothered checking on the forum since late November. I see we have been hit by spam. There were 22 unread spam messages waiting for me when I got here. Not exactly the kind of traffic I was hoping to find.
Warming up in Sask. 0 degrees this morning which is about 30 degrees better than the past few days. Might actually have to spend some time outside working today.
Ralph in Sask.

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 01:21:46 PM »
Here on the Southern side of Lake Ontario we started out at +12 F, Ralph, so we are not too far ahead of you. The cold wasn't too bad, but the steady wind would let one know that this is not August.

When my Mrs. went out to the trash cans yesterday she walked over to investigate a patch of green grass without snow.  She is curious that way.  It turned out to be a small spot of standing water where the snow melted when it fell.  While there she smelled gasoline and investigated that.  She returned to the house to tell me a drop of gas came off the carburetor on the 1941 John Deere H.  I put my outdoor warmth back on and wandered out.  It turned out someone left the tank selector in the on position.  My mind is 100 % sure I double checked it to be off last time I ran the tractor, but..................

I began to wonder if gas had loaded a cylinder, so brought the flywheel up to compression and rolled it over.  Pop,  pop,pop it says.  Well, I guess 21 Deg F doesn't bother this one much.  I brought the flywheel back to compression one more time and gave it another roll.  Off it went, running like a summer day.  I like that.  Too bad it is past retirement age and didn't have any job to do that day.

Oh yes.  The valve is off now.

Charlie V.

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 01:47:17 PM »
Here is a look at the 1941 H pretending it was working last summer.

Charlie

RG8800

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 02:33:26 PM »
Quote from: Charlie V;947
Here is a look at the 1941 H pretending it was working last summer.

Charlie

Charlie, it looks like the H and its driver are both getting a workout in the summer heat. Here is a photo showing one of the many jobs that used to occupy my Uncle's AR . That was the winter's and summer supply of firewood and it took us more than a day to saw it all. You can just about see the front of the hood of the AR at far left. I wish I had some more work for the tractor but now it just sits in the shed.
Ralph in Sask.

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 05:24:49 PM »
That is a fine pile of wood, Ralph, and all a nice size that does not require splitting.  I had my share of wood cutting and burning as a boy.  I only have done it in my adult life on a voluntary basis.  As a kid, there was nothing voluntary about it.  Do it or else, and it was better not to find out the details of the "or else".

Charlie

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 06:43:52 PM »
Afterthought.......If you find a picture or two of the AR in your collection, Ralph, I would enjoy having copies.  I know the tractor is shy and hides behind wood piles, but it must come out at meal time. (grin).

Charlie

RG8800

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 08:40:58 PM »
Quote from: Charlie V;951
Afterthought.......If you find a picture or two of the AR in your collection, Ralph, I would enjoy having copies.  I know the tractor is shy and hides behind wood piles, but it must come out at meal time. (grin).

Charlie

Charlie, you might guess that I have quite a few pictures of the AR over the years that my Uncle owned it (since the early 60s) and the past 7 years that it has been in my shed. This one I took just after painting the wheels. They have leaked a little chloride over the years and were pretty rusty.
[/URL][/IMG]
Ralph in Sask.

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 07:10:05 AM »
Ralph, that is a treasure.  I wish it was in my shed.  It reminds me a lot of the JD 70 Diesel that I used daily to spread manure on the dairy farm in 1958/1959.  That old gal had a comfort cover and would start every winter day with the pony motor.

The nearly new 720 row crop with gas engine would never start on a cold day. The dealer was unable to figure out the problem with the 720.  My thoughts now is that it had late timing, because it would give weak pops forever but not fire strong and take off. For whatever reason, it seems it fired at TDC or after TDC.

Charlie V.

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 08:43:29 AM »
Here's a shot of my JD 530 winning the slow tractor race at a local show 5 or 6 years ago.

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 09:00:03 AM »
Here's another Tractor I own. It's a 1976 International 140 and that's my youngest son driving it at a local show around 2004. He is joining the US Army and has to report the first of January. He will be going into the Army's High school to Helicopters program. He will come out a Warrant Officer when finished with the program. They grow up fast.:D