Hello Guest

John Deere 1 1/2 E

• 3 Replies
John Deere 1 1/2 E
« on: February 28, 2009, 10:24:38 AM »
Currently there are 2 of these thiings in my shop, neither belong to me. One has barely enough compression to run, but it will start and runs about as quiet as they ever get.
The other has lots of compression, starts very easily and runs quite well if you didn't listen to the cam gear noise and the terrible knock.
The agreement was I would get them running for them, after all that's what friends are for. Maybe. When the owner heard the knock, he made a pleading look along with the question can you fix it? Now I'm stuck, what began as a nice guy favor becomes a headache. I don't like these green things to begin with.
Don't now anything about the history, but the piston slapped in the bore long enough to break it. The missing piece went through the timing gears and did considerable damage. Priced replacement parts along with a bore job and he's the one squealing!
Dave E

Green things
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 08:21:16 AM »
Step back and give it some thought Dave.  My first thought is to take the bull by the horns. Offer three options.
Do your research, then give the owner a price for fixing the tractor first class with as many new parts as possible (to minimize your time) plus your labor.
Give him a number to sell you the engine so you can part it out or fix it and sell it.  (your choice)
He can haul it away and let someone else work on it or take it home with him.

My thinking is any half way attempts will get you further into being a charity..

Charlie
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 09:31:58 AM by Charlie V »

John Deere 1 1/2 E
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 11:36:25 AM »
Quote from: Charlie V;551
Step back and give it some thought Dave.  My first thought is to take the bull by the horns. Offer three options.
Do your research, then give the owner a price for fixing the tractor first class with as many new parts as possible (to minimize your time) plus your labor.
Give him a number to sell you the engine so you can part it out or fix it and sell it.  (your choice)
He can haul it away and let someone else work on it or take it home with him.

My thinking is any half way attempts will get you further into being a charity..

Charlie

Correct, Charlie. I gave him your no.1 option figuring he would say junk it. wrong! The parts came to almost $450 amd he didn't bat an eye.
Dave E

John Deere 1 1/2 E
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 03:44:58 PM »
I agree wholeheartedly with fixing it right. Shortcuts and risks are fine if it is your stuff and will in turn be your headache/loss if something goes wrong. I have had a habit over the years of working way too cheap--Sometimes instead of reccomending junking an item I would donate my time so the guy could afford the parts. I had a couple of Farmall F-12's that went that way. At least I learned a lot about those tractors and they were for friends. One of which had severe medical problems and was not able to do the work himself. After I got done with the mechanics he had the tractor painted and was able to do dome limited showing. Now that I think about it I don't regret that one at all.:)