Hello Guest

Wood cutting with the Wisconsin

• 3 Replies

RG8800

• View Profile
« on: March 26, 2010, 01:22:24 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSEQcuPNYG0
Got a little video put up on youtube showing us cutting firewood back in 92. You can see and hear the Wisconsin V4 engine that powered the buzz saw. Same engine that ran the old Case Model A combine for years. My nephews as little screaming kids, my Dad pushing the logs into the saw. Long time ago.
Ralph in Sask.

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 07:31:18 AM »
The old buzz saw pictured is the one I grew up working around.  We belted it to a Farmall regular for a number of years, and later to a Farmall F-20.  As the younger brother, my job starting at about 8 years old was to pick the cut chunks of wood from below the blade and throw them into the truck while my brother and father handled the logs onto the table and did the cutting.  I never really liked my job. After this saw came home with me in later years, I worked alone and "I did the cutting".

Charlie V.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:40:08 AM by Charlie V »

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 10:50:04 AM »
Charlie,

Looks a lot like the buzzsaw I have, except I've got paint on mine.
Used to use my Farmall A to run it, but that tractor died a few years ago and I never used it again except for parts for my Super A that I use for mowing.

Last time I ran the saw I used my Field Marshall tractor to power it as it is the  only running tractor I have that has a flat belt pully.

Might have to try running it from one of my stationary engines some time.

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 08:35:40 PM »
That would be a fun exercise with a stationary.  It would make it fire steady under load when cutting.  When I used the one pictured here at my place, I powered it from my Super C.  I have another buzz saw that is a 3 point hitch unit.  I have put the pulley unit on my 8N ford and cut some oak slab wood with it.  The only problem with the saws I have is the old blades have been filed small over time.  The largest piece I can cut through without turning is 5 or 6 inches.  For me it has only been hobby cutting so it is not too important.

Charlie V.