Hello Guest

How do you drive this seal?

• 6 Replies
« on: April 11, 2011, 07:34:28 PM »
I am stumped - the green is the seal itself and the seal is oriented correctly in the photo.  I assumed I could hand press this seal but I cannot.   Click on the link below to see a picture.  Using force is sure to ruin the seal and the metal is very thin and I can't walk the seal into place by catching the metal with some sort of thin driver, like a screwdriver, and then tapping along the circumference.

What do you folks think?

Spencer

-------------------------------------------------
More tractors than time.....

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 08:11:20 PM »
Spencer;

Is there a relief champher in the part? From the picture it looks like the expanded lip around the seal is the same size as the part. I keep a selection of plastic pipe fittings that I use to install seals. I have a small bench press that works well. sometimes I use a through bolt with a plate on each side to draw them in. You may first have to grind a champher to get it started.

A selection of plastic pipes with couplings glued on them will help to line the seals up squarely and draw them in straight.

Hope this helps. Always easier to do with the part in front of me.

Gene

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 08:51:06 PM »
Hi Spencer,

Gene offers some good ideas.  If I am seeing the picture correctly. the seal is green.  The silver under the seal is the bearing.  Both must be installed into the casting.  Lacking proper bushing and seal drivers, I have installed a number of seals (and bearings) using the flat end of my sockets.  I select a 1/2 or 3/4" drive socket that is nearest under the casting bore size.  After the bearing is well seated, use the upside down socket to push the seal, usually without damage.  As you probably know, a coat of light lube to prevent galling and keeping it straight the first 1/2 of the way are critical.  I know the socket is sort of a down and dirty method, but I am not sure what you are seeking on this one.

Hopefully you will see some better replies.

Charlie V.

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 08:52:28 PM »
The large green "lip" is the same exact diameter as the metal collar and then tapers in.   The gauge of collar is quite thin but does have a rounded edge(not a true champher tho) at the bottom (which you can't see).  I tried pressing with the bench press using a socket that was exactly the right size, but I stopped because the green lip just gives way and because of the thin gauge of the collar, looks as if it will be damaged.

Spencer

Here are some more pictures:

http://www.atis.net/forums/album.php?albumid=37

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 11:45:04 PM »
Success!

Th trick was not to get a socket that would fit the bore - the trick was getting a socket that was too big - one big enough you could get the lip of the seal tucked up inside of, but small enough so that the inside edge of the socket caught the metal.  Even 6point socket was no good - I had to use  12 point socket.  You could use this to get it seated, then switch to a socket that would fit the bore.  So I started with a 1-1/8 socket.   Then drove it further with a 1-1/16 , then drove it home with a 1".

Here is the finished product.  Thanks again for all the help!

Spencer

[ATTACH=CONFIG]607[/ATTACH]

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 06:58:42 AM »
Spencer;

Glad you got it worked out. Sometimes a little head scratching and innovation will get the job done.

Gene

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 10:15:16 AM »
Perseverance pays off.  Great that you saved the seal.  I may have seen that style seal one time, but usually they offer a flat side that I can abuse just a little if needed.  The radius edge sure 'nuff could make the installation tricky.

Charlie V.