Hello Guest

Western Ohio Update

• 1194 Replies
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2011, 12:56:31 PM »
Quote from: Gene Dotson;1661
The pictures of the planter are very defining that it is not John Deere. The wheels though are very similar, but the seed and fertilizer boxes are very different. JD fert boxes were placed lower and forward of the wheels.

I spent many hours riding the seat of our converted JD horse drawn planter as a young farm boy. Still remember the effort to raise the planter exactly as we reached the end rows. We pulled it with a F-12 Farmall with one brother driving and another brother working ground with the Farmll H. We would trade off from time to time so wouldn't get so boring. Seems like it took forever to plant 40 acres of corn and 20 acres of soybeans. Even wide open in 3rd gear we would often get off and walk behind the planter to work out the kinks and break the boredom. Sometimes when three of were planting, one would wait at each end of the field and get on the planter to raise it at the end and lower it again to start the new row and get off and wait for the next round.

Nice how a few pictures can bring back so many memories that have not crossed our minds for so many years.

Gene

I am betting those are good memories, Gene.  I hope your ground was not too littered with stones.  I can just about feel the spine jarring jolt of having those steel wheels ride up over a good size stone, then drop off the other side.  The only thing in their favor is the fairly good size diameter.  My days on converted horse drawn implements is mostly confined to an Oliver mowing machine and a dump rake, both pulled with either a Farmall Regular or an unstyled John Deere model L.

Charlie V.

P.S.  Good to hear that the new mattress is working out well. It is a good day when money is spend on something new and it meets or exceeds the buyers expectations.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 01:14:48 PM by Charlie V »

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2011, 01:11:57 PM »
Nothing personal, Ralph, but it is better that you have the -12 instead of me.  We do get there at times, but it is O.K. if it is not this winter.  With a full moon and clear sky last night we had a well lit night that allowed temperature to drop down to +20 F.  Now past midday we have made +28 and some wind.  Call me spoiled, but 55-60 is much better..

Good video.  Ripping that sod in 1989 was making the Case earn it's paycheck from the sound of it.  How or why does the land become "grassland" to begin with?  Was the land a new purchase, or just land which had not been worked in a few years?  

Charlie V.

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2011, 01:24:36 PM »
Back up to +20 today so it keeps us busy adapting to the rapid changes in temp.
If you ever look at google earth Charlie you might notice that this is pothole country. Every low spot used to be a hay slough surrounded by poplar bush. In the dry years many of the bushes were bulldozed and broke to open up a field and get more acres in cultivation. Wet years come back, flood out the low spots so that they won't even grow a crop of slough hay. Thats just how it works here in this part of Sask. That spot in the video where the 830 was pulling hard, now adays the water would be pretty near up to the platform of the tractor, maybe more.
Heres a shot of another spot I cleared up a couple of years ago and it was a complete waste of time. Chopped those bulrushes up good and worked the ground but the only thing I could get in there with now is a canoe or a raft.
[/URL][/IMG]
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2011, 02:27:13 PM »
I also enjoyed the video. Working ground like that on my farm would be working the 930 with 9 shanks and maybe 8. I am fascinated at the difference in soils and tillability across the continent. A friend on the Case forum from Wyoming posts similar pictures. He is very knowledgable on Case history and says the manufacturers rated their tractor plow capability in Nebraska prairie soils. A tractor rated for 6 bottoms there is more likely to be seen pulling 4 bottoms 16 inch moldboard here. Of course they were always rated with 14 inch bottoms in their tests. West central Illinois through eastern Nebraska and to southern Minnesota is the main part of our prairie land. Northwestern Ohio was originally black swamp land and was worthless until drained and now is some of the most fertile land in the state. This was originally the southern reaches of Lake Erie. Our area in west central Ohio were the original shallows of Lake Erie and the soils are extensively wave modified, which results in the extremely fine grain texture of the soil making tillage more difficult. There are a few potholes near me that can be farmed about half the years, but will sometimes flood late in the crop year destroying any crop planted as happened this year. These areas are so low that they are not able to drain to the Miami river, only 2 miles to the west, and are pretty much containment for excess flood waters.

Charlie, ditto on the weather here. Light wind and now 27 degrees at 2:19pm after a low of 15 this morning. The light freeze is welcome to firm up the ground a little and bright sun is a mood enhancer.

Portland Tri-State tractor club banquet is tonight so will be heading that way about 4:30. Looking forward to a big feed and a lot of socializing.

Gene

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2011, 08:41:35 AM »
Quote from: RG8800;1665
Back up to +20 today so it keeps us busy adapting to the rapid changes in temp.
If you ever look at google earth Charlie you might notice that this is pothole country. Every low spot used to be a hay slough surrounded by poplar bush. In the dry years many of the bushes were bulldozed and broke to open up a field and get more acres in cultivation. Wet years come back, flood out the low spots so that they won't even grow a crop of slough hay. Thats just how it works here in this part of Sask. That spot in the video where the 830 was pulling hard, now adays the water would be pretty near up to the platform of the tractor, maybe more.

Thank you for the explanation, Ralph.  I have looked at your area on satellite view and noticed the many 'potholes".  What I had failed to realize was the effect of the ever changing water table  on the terrain.  It surely has to be a larger gamble to invest in planting a crop on low ground.

Charlie V.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2011, 09:00:52 PM »
Quote from: Gene Dotson;1646
Charlie;

Glad you got the M running. Sometimes we worry about big problems and turn out to be something simple like the bad battery. Muffler and tailpipe in my Dodge dually was rusted out. It has an aftermarket 4 inch system on it. Couldn't find the right muffler or tailpipe to fit, so ordered a whole new system from turbo back. The parts laid in the shop as I was dreading the work to change it. Finally had a nice day to work on it and torched the old system off. Worried that the bolts on the turbo would be rusted fast, but they came right out. New system went on very easy and was done in about 1 hour of assembly.

Rain, rain and more rain here in Ohio. Just a continuous light rain all day Sunday and today. Rain gauge showing more than 2 inches and still coming down. Don't know how all this water can come up from the south and not leave some of it in Texas and Oklahoma. Would be glad to share at least half of it with them. Better still let tham have all at no extra charge. Possible snow for Wednesday, but no accomulation. Looks like N.Y weather is the same. Looks like Ralph is enjoying a nice clear balmy evening at 23 degrees.

The new construction is progressing, though slowly. Trying to be careful with my measurements. Got the main part of the dry wall up. Ordered a new bed and it was delivered today, now have to get a new mattress and bedding, then I will be ready to put it to use and finish as I go. After all, I have all winter do it. Finishing drywall is not my forte, but I will get it done and learn as I go. Have a neighbor lady who loves to paint and may let her do that.

Just checked the hits on this thread and it has had over 10,000 views on it so far. Makes it the number one on the site. Sure be nice if we could get some responses from these viewers

Gene

Gene,

Have you checked the views lately?  I think the counter is on steroids or it is getting google hit counts by mistake.  I would be the first to say that we are very interesting fellows, but 30,000 views.  Dunno about that.

Charlie V.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 05:46:53 PM by Charlie V »

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2011, 10:25:12 PM »
It is hard to believe all the views, isn't it? I check the site often and always see a lot of guests viewing. Also see names of a lot of members who don't show up on the member list. I am sure a lot of the viewers find the site from Google search..

Interesting sight yesterday morning. Was driving out my driveway and Amish was plowing a sod field across the road from my drive. Water often lays next to the road after a lot of rain. He was plowing with 1 bottom sulky plow with 6 horses. He ws plowing through the standing water that was almost to the top of the plow wheels. He was having to hold his feet up to stay out of the water. Saw today that he finished plowing the field of about 4 acres.

Gene

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2011, 09:56:24 AM »
The underwater plowing with a six horse team would make an interesting picture, Gene.  I have always heard that when you plow clay it has to come over shiny.  It sounds like your neighbor is taking that to a new level, but who would know?? Only the fish.

Speaking of horse drawn equipment, here is a nice old mowing machine owned by a friend of mine.  He uses it to take down weeds in his horse pasture and pulls it with a four wheeler.  It would look good behind my McCormick Deering 10-20.

Just enough snow here this morning to make everything white out there.  Not too cold at 27 degrees, but an unfriendly wind.  Right around this area it appears most of the fall plowing is finished and waiting for spring.

Charlie V.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 09:58:58 AM by Charlie V »

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2011, 11:39:11 AM »
Charlie;

The soil on the south side of the road from me is much different than what I have on the north side. It is a high organic, almost mucky soil and didn't seem to stick to the wheels like the clay does. Probably kept the mud washed off when he went through the water.

Still a lot of standing corn, estimates are 20% still standing. Will require a hard freeze before anyone can go now and 10 day forecast doesn't look good for that.

Spent many hours, both on the seat and on the tractor with a McCormick horse drawn mower pulled by our H or F-12. Don't have many good memories using that mower. Always sliding the drive wheels and plugging the cutterbar. Dad finally bought a PTO mower and vastly improved the job of mowing.

A much earlier memory of the Mc Cormick was our old #4 or #5 mower with the open ratcheting pinions. Always had a nest of bumble bees and when we would turn the ring gear it made a loud ratcheting sound that really agitated the bees. Have made many fast get-aways from the swarm. Our town living nephews were less aware of what was happening and were slow about leaving the scene and would get a few stings.

Gene

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2011, 02:48:21 PM »
Quote from: Charlie V;1672
The underwater plowing with a six horse team would make an interesting picture, Gene.  I have always heard that when you plow clay it has to come over shiny.  It sounds like your neighbor is taking that to a new level, but who would know?? Only the fish.

Speaking of horse drawn equipment, here is a nice old mowing machine owned by a friend of mine.  He uses it to take down weeds in his horse pasture and pulls it with a four wheeler.  It would look good behind my McCormick Deering 10-20.

Charlie V.

Nice looking mower Charlie. I wonder who he gets to ride that "comfortable" cast iron seat? Those seats are worth a lot of money but more for collectible or ornamental purposes. I think there are at least two old horse mowers sitting in the bush on my Uncle's farm . I could never understand how they kept the knife speed up to avoid plugging. If the horses slowed down, so did the knife. I had enough trouble with the pto mower. Now I've got a "haybine".
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2011, 09:28:26 PM »
Here is a picture of our Oliver mowing machine that I rode as a kid.  We always pulled with a tractor so I have no background on the speed with horses.  With the gearing of the machine it seemed the knives ran fast enough to cut well as long as the wheels were not stopped without clearing the bar form the cut first.  The biggest worry we had with a tractor was to keep from going too fast and exceeding the top speed the machine was designed for. The old girl would really clatter if the tractor had too much throttle.

Charlie V.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2011, 09:17:02 AM »
At this point I have the feeling I may be talking to myself.  That is O.K..  It is not unexpected behavior from a person my age.  I get frequent e-mails of Maxine cartoons and she always appears to be talking to herself and folks seem to enjoy that.  When I was a young boy (as opposed to the old boy I am now) I would hear my mother talking to herself frequently.  I would be in the dining room playing with toys or the old English Setter and Mom would be in the kitchen cooking or doing dishes and I would hear her talking away.  Just thinking out loud probably.  On the other hand, having me around as a young boy might cause any Mom to talk to herself or mumble almost under her breath.

Looking at the calendar it is apparent the shortest daylight day of the year has passed and we are now officially into Winter.  With a 43 degree thermometer and more off and on rain, it seems more like I should go mow grass when the rain stops.  This is really a better deal than the current blizzard in Colorado and the Rockies.  We still have a chance for my earlier wish for no real snow before Jan. 1, 2012 to come true.  I had a talk with my snow shovels and they say they are perfectly happy in their currently unemployed status.  Now that makes me think that I need to bring the green one (my favorite, purchased at a yard sale) in and do a sheet metal or epoxy repair on the crack / split it has near the handle.  If I wait until it breaks in half, it will be a goner.  I still have a steel snow shovel in the garage like we used many years ago. Whenever I pick the old shovel up I realize that the weight of the empty shovel was more work than a shovel full of snow is today.

Charlie V.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 09:21:17 AM by Charlie V »

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2011, 09:31:41 AM »
Now that the snow talk is over, just thinking ahead six or seven months to what the winter (white) wheat will look like as it begins to ripen.  The white wheat grown in this part of the U.S. is normally used in white breads and flour.

Note: I probably should have said in white flour for breads, etc.  Seems to make more sense that way.

Charlie V.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 12:09:54 PM by Charlie V »

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2011, 10:37:50 AM »
That is a nice looking crop of wheat. I don't know if there is any seeded around here but it could be a hard winter with the minimal snow cover that we have so far. Might be good for the deer though. :D
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2011, 12:11:10 PM »
Nice rack on that lad, Ralph.

Charlie