Hello Guest

Western Ohio Update

• 1194 Replies
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #690 on: April 29, 2014, 06:53:38 PM »
Charlie, we had the rain yesterday. About 3 inches, so have a lot of water standing. No farm work here, but got into the mid 70's with sunshine and brisk winds, so may dry up some, but more chance of rain for next couple days. Will try to send some heat your way. Can't help Ralph with the mud and snow. Hope he gets some better weather soon.

Been working on the motorhome to get it ready for Portland swap meet in 2 weeks. Has a television and antenna in it that I can not get to work. Older analog tv with a hd adapter and can not get anything from it. Keeps saying no signal. Today I ordered a new antenna and television set. Checked all coax cables and are all good. Hope it works now. Redoing some electrical work that was put in by amateur.[ATTACH=CONFIG]722[/ATTACH]

Just went out and took the photo, hope it comes through.

Gene

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #691 on: April 29, 2014, 11:36:09 PM »
Gene, looks like you have a real home on wheels there. I like the name "Mockingbird Hill" on the building.
Would you believe the weather got even worse? Snowed yesterday covering the mud and making a real mess. I was able to get out in it with the Cockshutt 40 and get a bale put out for the cattle, I set up the Gopro camera to catch the fun just in case I got stuck in the process but the old 40 got the job done with no problems. Snow is mostly gone today leaving just mud.
[video=youtube;DNg99_4dwao]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNg99_4dwao[/video]
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #692 on: April 30, 2014, 08:37:18 AM »
Another nice video. Seems winter will never end for you. See the little calf is doing well following his mama to the fresh hay.

The song, "Mockingbird Hill" by Patti Page has always been my favorite song of all time. Yes we do have mockingbirds here. Interesting to watch. Have had them sitting on electric wire and talking with them. They will chat for several minutes.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]723[/ATTACH]

This is Mockingbird Hill facing my airstrip.

Gene
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 09:11:59 AM by Gene Dotson »

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #693 on: April 30, 2014, 08:29:16 PM »
Gene, I remember that song on the radio when I was a kid.  Winter turned to spring today and I got a "good" wind burn at a farm auction sale today. Quite a change from the weekend sale. Lots of mud and water to walk and drive around in. An incredible amount of old iron at this estate auction. Some of it still buried in long grass, dirt and trees. I brought home a good deal on a pair of good used 7.50x17 truck tires. Kind of a rare size now.
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #694 on: May 01, 2014, 12:31:16 AM »
O.K. Guys.  You asked for it, so listen in.

Charlie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHRpbiG_ruk&feature=kp

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #695 on: May 01, 2014, 05:27:22 AM »
Ralph, that 40 sure sounds good.  I've always had the hots for a 30 but that six-cylinder sound is mighty tempting.

Nice song, Gene and Charlie--I knew it once I heard it but hadn't remembered it from the title.

On the way home yesterday evening I caught one of those fine spring moments with bright golden sunshine in front of dark clouds, and pulled off the road by the neighbor's cornfield to take this photo.  Just in time, too, since two minutes later the sun disappeared behind the clouds.

Dean

[ATTACH=CONFIG]724[/ATTACH]

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #696 on: May 01, 2014, 11:23:30 AM »
Charlie, thanks for posting the video. Brought tears to my eyes. I have her CD album with her most popular songs and have her website bookmarked. She passed on Christmas 2012.

Dean, that was a magical moment for sure. I admire your eye for photography.

Ralph, the old 17 inch tires are pretty rare and now are common on newer vehicles. My Dodge truck and jeep Grand Cherokee both have 17's, so no more using the takeoffs for wagon or trailer tires

Gene

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #697 on: May 01, 2014, 02:07:04 PM »
Quote from: Gene Dotson;2319

Ralph, the old 17 inch tires are pretty rare and now are common on newer vehicles. My Dodge truck and jeep Grand Cherokee both have 17's, so no more using the takeoffs for wagon or trailer tires

Gene
Funny how tire sizes go up and down. When I was a kid most cars had 14 inch wheels , then later increased to 15 which was handy to re-use them on farm implements. At the time it was harder to find 16 inch tires for my old 39 Ford unless I bought truck tires. Now I see newer vehicles with huge 20 inch wheels (which I really don't like) and its like they have gone back to the days of the Model T Fords with 20 and 21 inch wheels.
Ralph in Sask.

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #698 on: May 01, 2014, 10:26:17 PM »
Nearly forgot to post the link to yesterday's farm auction. It had an amazing amount of old iron to see. Some of it was a quarter mile walk from the yard and I never did get out there to see it and a scrap buyer bought most of that lot. Some individual items in the yard were picked out by some observant old iron guys and bought. Like the stationary engines.
[video=youtube;yw-aegtcz8o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw-aegtcz8o[/video]
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #699 on: May 06, 2014, 08:10:01 PM »
Hi Ralph.  At first I thought things were pretty high and dry at that auction site, compared to the clip you'd posted the other day, but then I saw that there was still plenty of mud and water.   It'll be a good while before that all greens back up, I'd guess.

Fairly warm here today, close to 70F this afternoon, and even warmer in the forecast for the next two days.  I'm glad to have the help warming up the farmhouse.

Dean

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #700 on: May 09, 2014, 09:40:19 PM »
Ohio jumped from winter to summer again this year. No Spring. Mowed grass on Sunday in sweatshirt and coveralls and then to short sleeves and sunburn for Wednesday and Thursday. Strong winds and warm temps and bright sunshine has really made a difference in ground conditions. Tractors and planters everywhere. I was able to get in the fields on Tuesday for a few hours and by Wednesday afternoon was able to work all on the ground over once and finish by Thursday noon. Got my soybeans all planted Thursday by working till 10:00pm. Thought it was going to rain today, so wanted to get them in. Today, Friday, turned out to be a good day, cloudy most of the day and only a couple teaser sprinkles. Got everything put away then picked up some more rocks. Forecast for chances of rain next 3 days. I am ready for it now.

Gene

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #701 on: May 13, 2014, 01:14:32 AM »
Busy times here the past couple of days since I got going with the anhydrous applicator. Lots of little problems so I am not breaking any records. Got something over a hundred acres done today. Time lost due to a flat tire on the cultivator. Had to run to town for a new one and got a look at an old David Brown tractor a local guy had just picked up. They are a rare tractor.
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #702 on: May 13, 2014, 10:33:42 AM »
Wow, Ralph, winter is sure hanging on there. At least you can finally get started. Never seen a David Brown that old. Nothing like that around here.

Having nice weather. Planted the soybeans on Thursday and checked on Saturday and were already sprouted. Nice soil moisture and half inch of rain Sunday afternoon and Sunday night. Will get the beans off to a good start. High temps in the 80's. Sweet corn planted in April has finally come through the ground. Was getting worried about them.

Will be going to Portland, Indiana this afternoon for the spring swap meet. Will be my first official duties as a director there. Will be there till  Saturday. Be the first outing with the new motorhome. Should be a nice temporary home.

Gene

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #703 on: May 15, 2014, 08:20:13 PM »
Talk about a long winter!!  I do not think this is Ralph as he has beef cattle, not milk cows.  Safe bet though that it might be one of his neighbors in Sk.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]725[/ATTACH]

Charlie V.

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #704 on: May 18, 2014, 02:18:06 AM »
Finally a few warm days but don't put the jacket away just yet. Been a long day so I need to get some sleep. More details of the day in the blog at
http://mindlessramblings-rlg.blogspot.ca/2014/05/18-hour-day.html
Ralph in Sask.