Hello Guest

Still Alive

• 11 Replies

RG8800

• View Profile
Still Alive
« on: August 27, 2011, 03:54:18 PM »
Just checking to see if anyone is still alive on this forum. I have been busy swathing canola (video on youtube) but did take time out to video this vulture tagging operation on my farm yesterday. The naturalists like to tag these young Turkey Vultures before they can fly. These won't be long til they leave the "nest", my Uncle's old chop bin, so it was good timing. They are a bit repulsive with their terrible smell and vomiting in self defense. It works though since they have survived their first two months of life in a bare wooden bin vulnerable to raccoons.[video=youtube;7xs5VU92qEg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xs5VU92qEg[/video]
Ralph in Sask.

Still Alive
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 08:44:17 AM »
Ralph;

Interesting video. I remember as a child, we had a nesting buzzard in a grapevine cave at the back of our farm. We watched them from hatching to fledging. Were really cute as hatchlings, but got uglier by the day as they grew and the stength got worse as they started feeding.

I spent the past week at the Portland tractor show. Was a very good show with good weather. Feature tractor was Minneapolis and had almost 200 feature tractors. One exhibitor from Fort Recovery paraded 39 tractors to the show and had his own feature tent set up. He had a very diversified exhibit with tractors from the early 20's through the 60's. I ran my Case LA on the threshers for 2 of the daily sessions. Ran Minneapolis tractors on the machines for the Friday session and steam engines on Saturday. Total tractors exhibited was right at 800 and also exhibited old cars and trucks and over 1000 engines. There is 54 acres of parts and tractors in the sales area and almost too much to even see in the 5 days. Was a relief to get home and rest up a little.

Gene

We had 8 of our A.T.I.S. members at our campsite and 4 no-shows. Spent late evenings around the campfire solving the world problems

RG8800

• View Profile
Still Alive
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 02:03:19 PM »
That sounds like it was a huge show Gene. I can hardly imagine that many tractors on display. We don't have anything that big here that I know of.
Ralph in Sask.

Still Alive
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 03:55:42 PM »
Yes, Portland is billed as the world's largest tractor and engine show. Lots of time, labor and commitment to get everything in place and all the campers, vendors and and exhibitors organized and in place. Lots of temporary fences and barriers to place and at the end of the show, they have to all be taken down and stored again. Lots of things the average attendee never sees.

The campground will accommodate at least 1500 camping units. Has two complete restroom and showers in the camping area and also 2 more bigger ones on the fairgrounds. All food vendors by local service organizations and are many of them, from ice cream to full meals. Streets into town lined solid with all sorts of vendors and yard sales. I was there for a week and still lots I didn't see. Must have been 2000 golf carts and riding vehicles on the grounds, and at $10.00 per permit, the club really added to its coffers.

Being a 5 day show, attendance started a little slow for Wednesday, but the cooler weather for the remainder of the show pushed the attendance to near or above record level.

Gene

Still Alive
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 07:48:58 AM »
Gene I was there for one and a half days we had to cut it short because of the hurricane Irene. There is almost too much to see but I try every year. We camped on Cockshuck lane and weathered Wednesday night storm. Merton

Still Alive
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 08:46:17 AM »
O.K.  So far I am the odd man out on this post so it is time to fix that .  Ralph:  Those vultures sure are one ugly bird.  We have them circling overhead much of the time here.  I have seen then on the ground but have never been close to one.  I can always tell them in the air by their size and the fact that it usually appears like half of the flight feathers on their wings are missing.  I think I will stick with the five feral kittens we found under a stove beside our garage.  They are not friendly, but they sure are cute.

Gene:  It sounds like Portland was great as usual with a good show and good company.   Due to circumstances beyond our control, I could not make it to Marion NY or The Steam Pageant at Hopewell near Canandaigua this year.  I am thinking that with my knees being like they are I will not make Alexander NY in September either.  On the other hand I have been enjoying the worlds smallest tractor show in the back yard for most of the summer.  I usually keep these oldies bundled tight for their protection from the elements, but this year I decided they are not much good if I can't even look at them.  Cranked them all up on Sunday and drove them around some so I could mow grass where they sit.  They all seemed pretty happy about that.

"Worlds Smallest Tractor Show"

Charlie V.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 11:03:39 AM by Charlie V »

Still Alive
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 09:04:20 AM »
Gosh, Charlie, you are awfully quiet this morning.

Merton, Our A.T.I.S group camp at Allis Chalmers and Economy drive, just inside the walk bridge. Sure would welcome you around the campfire. Sorry you had to leave for the hurricane. Hope all othere were able to weather it alright.

1 1/2 days is not nearly enough time to see the whole show. Hardly be able to see just the tractors and engines, let alone the vast parts sales area. I spend a week there and still don't see it all. Then there is all the local yard sales and outside vendors to visit. Lots of food vendors too. Can't go away hungry. Votaw street from the fairgrounds to meridian street looks like a carnival midway.

Gene

Still Alive
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 09:14:27 AM »
I guess I will try this another way.  I tested a picture and it was fine.  when I posted the text the picture  of The Worlds Smallest Tractor Show will not appear.

Image still will not appear on my PC.  Giving up for now and will try later.  This is probably why I did not use Webshots previously.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 09:23:27 AM by Charlie V »

Still Alive
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 02:48:18 PM »
Gene - I wished I could have made the campfire. Back home We lost power on Sat. morning and as of now we still do not have it. Lost several trees and the tops out of some. First one to be cut up was across my driveway. Many more to be cut up later in cooler days. Also I agree with you 1 1/2 days in Portland is too short to see every thing and to eat all the great food there. I spent most of my time in the vendor field area and at nights over in the oilfield engine area. Maybe next year I will catch up with you.

Still Alive
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 09:20:07 AM »
"Gosh, Charlie, you are awfully quiet this morning."

That's me, Gene.  The strong silent type.  Actually you may have seen a blank post while I was trying to get a picture to link to the post from Webshots.  It would appear once, but then be blank on subsequent openings of the thread.  It may have been a file size issue or ???????????.  I finaly gave up on that (disgression being the better part of valor), loaded the picture to Fotki, and got it done.  Readers probably thought a blank post was one of my better works.

Charlie V.

RG8800

• View Profile
Still Alive
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 05:43:46 PM »
Fotki works better for me too Charlie. Although I have a webshots online album I always seem to go back to fotki.
[/URL][/IMG]
Ralph in Sask.