Hello Guest

Running on a battery ... how to hook it all up

• 6 Replies
« on: March 10, 2015, 04:29:49 PM »

Been a long time since I was around SEL people.  I have a JD  E that I give up have a hot mag on it. I have a coil and 12V battery.  I feel the coil is a high impedance coil (6 inch long and 1+ inch in diameter). What I am looking for is help on how to hook this up.  Where does the positive go? To the inside or outside lug?? And the from the remaining lug to the points?? Does the negative go straight to the engine frame??

I am sure this is so simple for most of you, but not for this old fart. If younger I would try different things until I figured it out, but today cranking that much is not an option.  Thanks for any help I get.
Paul Waugh

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 05:50:58 PM »
Can't help you, Paul.  Question though.  If it has a good mag, why is a battery - coil - points ignition needed.  Would the mag not make the engine run.  ??

Charlie V.

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 01:14:13 PM »
Paul, does the coil have one lug that has a heavier insulation? That would be the high tension lug to the points. Use a meter to ohm out all lug combinations. Power feed would have the lowest ohm reading. Power feed should make little difference as to positive and negative. The points are the ground for the high voltage side.

Gene

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 09:56:39 PM »
Contact Dave Rotigel, never saw him on the forums but he posts occasionaly on the tractor mailing list

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 06:47:03 PM »
I just gave up keeping the mag 'hot'  It has been 4 years since the mag was charged and 4 years since the engine has run

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 06:49:08 PM »
No insulation, it is a hand wrapped coil for engine use. Would the ohm reading be different by reversing the test leads??

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 05:17:11 PM »
I found what I needed on Harry's page. It still did not run, so checked the igniter, a nice blue spark (good or bad??). Still nothing, so tried either, still nothing. I pulled the head and decided to lap the valves while I had it apart. Upon re-assembly. it ran for over a minute. I lost it while fine tuning. I am tired, but it does run. Thanks for the replies

Paul Waugh