Hello Guest

Faultless Magneto

• 3 Replies
Faultless Magneto
« on: April 22, 2008, 03:07:36 PM »
Anybody out there who knows anything about the origin of these magnetos?
The tag on one says magneto, but they are more like an auto sparker. One is sold by John M. Smyth MDSE. Co. and is called Faultless Magneto.  The other is tagged by Henricks Novelty Co. Both are generally alike except for some small differences. Both are rated at 1500 RPM. Both have the leather drive and governors.
Thanks
Dave
Dave E

Faultless Magneto
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 11:14:28 AM »
I have a 5hp round rod Galloway that came with a Henricks novelty company magneto.  I'll have to look at the tag on it to see what it says.

I don't know anything about it or the Faultless Magneto so if you find out more about them be sure to post it here.

Always like to learn more about the history behind the stuff we collect.

George

Vent
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 10:59:21 AM »
Rebuilt, not restored.
I bit the bullet and dove into a bunch of them. I rebuild magnetos as a hobby and as favors to friends.  Then it becomes a favor to a friend who is doing a favor for his friend and so on......Lots of times I just say no and expecially when it came to these..what do you call them? Auto Sparkers, Smyth, Henricks Novelty Co, Wizard, Dynamo?
I didn't take any before photos, but here are some after the fact.

The biggest problem I have is what to charge. Parts and materials are easy.
Always asked is how long is it going to take?
How in the hell do I know until the unit is apart. Sometimes an hour, sometimes de-bugging takes 3 days. A KW style HK took 3 weeks working an hour or so a day or until becoming utterly disgusted working on what seemed to be a fruitless endavor.
My time is worth something. Fix one in an hour and charge 50 bucks and some are happy and some feel robbed. Charge 10 bucks an hour and get into an older KW and the cost will exceed the magneto's worth....
Got a KW type HK here that belongs to one of the guys behind the ACMOC show coming up in Woodland. I don't know what I can charge him, surely not enough for the time I've got into it. Oh, well......Here's the photos.
Dave E

Faultless Magneto
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 03:52:22 PM »
Dave,

Looking forward to seeing you at Woodland.  I'll have my W.A.I.T. booth there so I'll be easy to find.

Your magneto thread is interesting even tho we're still short on getting people to post to these forums :(

I'll have to look at some of my magetos when I get home.  Maybe post some pictures later.