Hello Guest

Western Ohio Update

• 1194 Replies
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1140 on: January 03, 2017, 09:37:14 AM »
Ralph, can you operate the drone from the cab of the 2090? likely the metal will block the signal?

Have had a few warm days for January. Right now is 48 degrees, but will be turning colder for tomorrow. Been raining most of the night, so kinda wet this morning. Snow forecast starting tomorrow till weekend. Temp down to near zero by the weekend. Water in the lanes will turn to ice again, Think I will stock up on groceries today.

Been having a bout with bronchitis for the past week and makes for hard breathing outside. Getting better and was able to spend some time out yesterday at the wood pine and in the new shop. My furnace quit working over a week ago. Finally found the problem on Sunday and got it working again. Was just a bad wire connection from the thermostat. A 5 minute fix if I had know at first what to check.

Wood pile going down faster than I had expected, so will be using the furnace more. New stove seems to use more wood than the old one.Hope all are having a good start to 2017.

Gene

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1141 on: January 04, 2017, 01:44:24 PM »
Quote from: Gene Dotson;2822
Ralph, can you operate the drone from the cab of the 2090? likely the metal will block the signal?

I think so Gene but won't know for sure til I try. The drone has a "follow me" mode in which it is supposed to follow along when I'm driving a vehicle so I'm hoping to try it out. Should make some interesting videos. I took a short flight yesterday in -12F temps. Nice views but my fingers were starting to freeze up by the time I quit.
Ralph in Sask.

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1142 on: January 11, 2017, 10:29:29 AM »
-34F in Sask. this morning. Clear and sunny. Hope the wind stays down. I'll need to plug in the block heater on the Massey to put a couple of hay bales out later this afternoon.
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1143 on: January 11, 2017, 06:21:09 PM »
That is to cold, Ralph. I hope it stays north of the Great lakes.  We started the day in the plus mid 30's then warmed to plus 50.  Not at all bad for Jan.11, even if it will not last.  Cold front scheduled to move in tomorrow afternoon.  Enjoying your drone videos.  Looking for some nice ones in the summer as your crops grow and mature.  

Charlie

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1144 on: January 11, 2017, 07:15:56 PM »
Warmed up to 0 here this afternoon but snowing and blowing from the Southwest. Not nice but not bone chilling cold either. Did you see my latest drone video trying to drive and fly at the same time? I need a little practice.
[video]https://youtu.be/Fo40W7p0CrA[/video]
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1145 on: January 18, 2017, 10:04:49 PM »
Sure enough, Ralph.  I did see the video with the pickup backing off the edge.  I have also seen the new one with the bird following a little tiny man on the ground.  Reminds me of a high level puppy dog.  That should be an interesting feature when you are doing tractor and other work in the fields.  Is a zoom in feature available in the "follow me" mode?

We are quite wet here.  Rain all day yesterday with around 3/4 inch falling.  Temp. is hanging around + 40 F.  Glad it is not freezing rain as was seen in the mid West. We are supposed to be on the south side of the jet stream through most of next week, then back to winter for a good stretch. Not a problem.  Every day past is a day nearer to Spring.  Along with the mild weather ice storms are a real possibility so I bought an extra 10 gallons of gas the other day in case it is necessary to run a generator for a day.  Not a lot, but better than being empty at a bad time.  I realized that my Cadillac which I do not use during the road salt season was under 1/4 of a tank of gas.  Took advantage of the dry roads to take that to the station and fill it with non ethanol gas.  With these up and down temps. a low tank makes a good terrarium.  Really do not need a lot of water mix in there.  Car runs quite nice without that.  Got out last week and started some other motors to keep fresh gas in the carbs and let the batteries charge.  We were near 50 last week for two days so had to take advantage.

Have fun with the drone and keep warm.

Charlie V.

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1146 on: January 21, 2017, 11:58:11 PM »
Its been a week of good flying weather with above normal temperatures. Had some great sunrise, sunset photo ops and I took it up to the maximum altitude of 400 feet several times. Didn't get any driving video yet but its on my list. I got in a day of tractor time with the Cockshutt 50 putting oats through the mill for cattle feed. It was warm enough to work on removing the tractor's pto for maintenance and I recorded some of it to put on youtube. Not exactly a "how to" video but might come in handy for my own future reference.
[video=youtube;1Wpe-DkhAe8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wpe-DkhAe8[/video]
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1147 on: January 30, 2017, 09:33:42 AM »
Wow, is it really 36 degrees in Saskatchewan? Must feel like summer to Ralph. Bet we get to see some new videos from the drone.

Charlie and I are both at 19 degrees this morning with snow for charlie. Had a few snow squalls here in Ohio yesterday evening with a mild but uncomfortable west wind. Only a dusting of snow on the ground. Last week was much warmer with temps in the 50's. Was a nice weekto work outside. Been working on the new shop and finally ready to start insulating then paneling.

Have not been able to get out and cut any firewood this winter. Having too much trouble with my breathing. Started on an antibiotic and changed my inhaler last week and seems I am doing better. Have an appointment tomorrow with my doctor to check on my progress. Cold weather makes it hard to breath with any exertion.

Hope everyone is doing well.       Gene
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 05:48:33 PM by Gene Dotson »

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1148 on: February 01, 2017, 11:08:50 PM »
Gene we have sure had our ups and downs in temp. Currently having some cold nights a bit below zero. Blowing and snowing some today so it was no day to be out doing much. Not that I would anyway as my back has been bad for a couple of days. Probably over did it lifting that Cockshutt pto last week. I have not even done any flying for almost a week. I did get the follow mode working on the drone a couple of weeks ago and got the drone to follow along shooting video while I drove the trail through the hundred acre woods.
[video=youtube;zcqJXzKQUBA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcqJXzKQUBA[/video]
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1149 on: February 02, 2017, 10:13:55 PM »
Still no snow in Ohio. Highs daily about 30 and nights in low 20's. Have decent soil moisture but not excessive. Cloud likely drive a tractor anywhere and not get stuck. Have very little frost in the ground.

I did kinda chuckle when you got the truck stuck.

Been getting along better the last few days. Had a couple doctor visits and a prescription for antibiotics and change of inhaler, I am breathing a lot better now. Got insulation for the new shop on Tuesday and have worked last 2 afternoons getting a good start on that. Getting along pretty well with that. Ran out of kerosene in the torpedo heater this afternoon, so quit early when it cooled off in there.

Got the Jeep back from the body shop this morning. Looks like they did a good job on the repairs.

Ground hog saw his shadow this morning so will have 6 more weeks of winter.

Gene

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1150 on: February 12, 2017, 07:26:57 PM »
More variable weather in Ohio. Had 4 inches of snow the first of the week, then turned cold with 10 degree temps, then warmed up into the low 50's and almost all of the snow has melted. Very windy today with gusts near  40 MPH. Clear skies this evening so will be a good view of almost full moon. Had cloudy sky Friday night so was not able to see the lunar eclipse or full snow moon.

Looks like Charlie is getting a pretty heavy snow. Looks like lake affect coming off the lake. Maybe getting 8 to 12 inches. Good luck with that.

Been working on insulating the walls in my new shop. Only have a few panels around one window and the electric panel. I can get my paneling now and start covering the walls. After that I will get the steel to install on the ceiling.

Got a call from the dentist that my new lower dentures are ready to pick up tomorrow. Been almost 3 months sinse I had the lower teeth pulled. Maybe I can finally get off this soft food diet.

Gene

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1151 on: February 13, 2017, 02:15:26 PM »
Sounds like you are working harder than me Gene. My back has bothered me since lifting that Cockshutt pto so I'm not pushing it too hard. You might want to post some pictures of the new shed one of these days.
It has warmed up here to the thawing point today. Hope we don't lose our snow. We don't have a lot and it is too early to see bare ground. I shot this video yesterday while driving the Merc and you can see we are well covered in snow. Yet I have not needed to install the snowblower.
[video=youtube;tpNPxwNlOt8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpNPxwNlOt8[/video]
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1152 on: February 17, 2017, 11:21:11 AM »
Best of luck to you with the new choppers, Gene.  I sure hope they serve you better than mine did.  I put up with them for quite a few years.  Never did fit right and always had to be glued in to be any use at all.  After I retired in 2008, I put them in the cup and mostly left them there.  I would sometimes use them when going out, but eventually stopped that too.  Life is too short to put up with constant misery.   I just try not to smile too much.  

You do pretty good reporting our weather, except for the snow part.  As I look out I see a mix of snow and green grass.  We pretty much do not have any.  In spite of the threats the weather people make, the most I have seen at one time since November is one time between 3 and 4 inches.  I did do a light clean up one time lasy month, but was barely picking anything up.  I only did that in hopes that what was left would melt clean later in the day when temp. went above freezing.  Don't like partial melts that refreeze into glare ice.  As you know, temperature has been a roller coaster ride.  Get an inch or two of snow, then it melts to green grass again.  Really easy winter here so far.  Just fine with me and I feel no sympathy for the skiers and snow mobilers.  I suspect there may be some plow guys a little short on cash too.  On the other hand , it is not over until it is over!!

Ralph is getting some very nice footage from his drone. I keep up with them as you put them up to you tube, Ralph.  Just waiting for you to catch up with a deer herd or a pack of youes.  Is your boneyard PTO working as it should on whichever Cockshutt.

One more thought on the weather. The reports constantly tell us here of the heavy snows in the Wyoming / Genesee  County snow belt off Lake Ontario.  I was well into Genesee County This Tuesday.  To my surprise   -----Not only no snow banks,  but no snow at all.  Grass in peoples lawns looked like springtime.  We had a little more than that here.  Strange.

Charlie
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 11:29:19 AM by Charlie V »

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1153 on: February 17, 2017, 01:28:26 PM »
Quote from: Charlie V;2834
 Life is too short to put up with constant misery.   I just try not to smile too much.  

Ralph is getting some very nice footage from his drone. I keep up with them as you put them up to you tube, Ralph.  Just waiting for you to catch up with a deer herd or a pack of youes.  Is your boneyard PTO working as it should on whichever Cockshutt.

Charlie

Charlie I 've had family members too that wore  their teeth in their  pocket a lot of  the time. One uncle  had  none at all and we never knew  him when he did  have  teeth. Seemed to get along just fine. I'm hanging on to almost all of mine but not sure  for  how much longer. Bone loss  is an irreversible process and it is taking  it's toll.
No progress  on the pto  as I don't want to over stress my back. It is only just starting to  feel better after lifting that pto weeks ago. I'll get some help to do the install. I'm a slow learner.
We broke some century old high temps in Sask.this week. Think it hit over 40 at  my yard. Its  nice but not normal.
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #1154 on: February 18, 2017, 01:52:44 PM »
Charlie, you are right about the dentures. Cannot eat anything with them. Back to soft foods. Only good part is that they are good looking teeth, but worthless for eating Bad part is I got the bill yesterday for almost $400.00. Have ordered some denture pads to see if they help.

Came in for dinner a few minutes ago Temp is 61 degrees and warm sunshine. Guess I can leave the jacket in the house this afternoon. Working on the paneling for the new shop. Got all the panels up that don't require cutting. Got a panel saw and guide system that I just got assembled. Typical Chinese material. Have to make a few changes to make it work. Jury still out on that.

Guess I better get out and take advantage of the weather.

Gene