Hello Guest

Spring Wheat Harvest

• 3 Replies

RG8800

• View Profile
Spring Wheat Harvest
« on: September 15, 2011, 01:28:48 AM »
A short video I shot from the drivers seat of the combine while harvesting spring wheat the past few days. A bit of picking up swath and then over to the direct cut 22 foot header on my 1660 IH combine. Weather has been great and crops yielding ok. Hopefully it will continue. [video=youtube;caAZUEMK0dM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caAZUEMK0dM[/video]
Ralph in Sask.

Spring Wheat Harvest
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 09:12:56 AM »
Thanks for that video Ralph. Looks like a pretty good crop for you. Normally get an ealy evening dew here so not much night work on summer small grains.

Soybean harvest here is still a month away. Pods need a lot more time to fill out. Some local fields are just starting to turn leaves, so won't be much activity for a while. Some early silo filling to the south of me. Corn is starting to droop ears and is safe from the weather. Forecast looks like we are safe from frost for at least the next 10 days.

Gene

Spring Wheat Harvest
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 09:43:02 AM »
About the same here in WNY.  I noticed corn not far from me yesterday that had the leaves probably 30-40% turned.  About the same on some of the soybeans.  Other areas are still pretty full green.  Have not seen any change in the tree leaves yet.  With a promise of high 30's tonight, frost in low lying areas may not be far away.  Sweet corn and table vegetables have been very available and reasonably priced.  Good eating.  Even though we are less on rain than places not far away, the grass is back in the spring growth mode and needing cutting weekly or more often.

If anyone is interested in some pictures of flooding in towns and villages along the Susquehanna River in Southern NY and Northern Pa., I have many sent by a cousin in law who lives in Sayre Pa. It was the worst flooding ever seen in that area.  I can send some pictures direct to anyone interested.

Charlie V.

Spring Wheat Harvest
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 06:00:15 PM »
Ralph, looks like you are having good harvest weather near Lipton.

We have rain here today. Started about noon. Rained me out from wood cutting. Been working all week on one big red oak tree. This tree is about 30 inches in diameter at the base. It broke off at about 10 feet above ground and set in a big tripod on the stump and 2 big limbs about 25 feet from the break. I cut all the top limbs off and cut the  legs off at close to ground level and used the dozer and chains to roll it off the stump to the ground. Fell real nice and flat on the ground to make it fairly easy to cut into blocks. Blocks are so big, I have to quarter them with the saw to be able to handle them. Gonna be a lot of splitting to do, but I will forget how much work it is this winter when I burn it.

Soybeans are just now starting to turn. Pods are filling out nice. Forecast for warmer weather for the next 10 days, so may be able to get a good crop. Price is going down though. Down below $13.00 now.

Gene