Hello Guest

Steam Engines

• 5 Replies

RG8800

• View Profile
Steam Engines
« on: December 21, 2007, 03:04:08 PM »
Not the kind you might be thinking of. How many of you have one of these old (econolite) lamps in working condition? I recently got mine out of storage and it works great. They sell for good money on ebay. The steam locomotives are the "General" and "John Bull".
Ralph in Sask.

Steam Engines
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 08:24:31 PM »
Ralph
My brother and his wife collect old lamps. Bet he doesn't have anything like this!!!... Gene

Steam Engines
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 09:55:39 PM »
We have several of the rotator lamps, Niagara Falls, a light house, a mill, a bus climbing a mountain, a cabin in the snow, the choo-choo and some others. They are difficult to find today. Also the plastic does deteriorate. The original ones were quite heavy and smaller. The outside was glass with the inside rotator made off celluloid. Here is a pot-bellied stove rotator lamp. Very appropriate for this thread, I think.....Helen

RG8800

• View Profile
Steam Engines
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 03:55:22 PM »
Quote from: PAOttawa;63
We have several of the rotator lamps, Niagara Falls, a light house, a mill, a bus climbing a mountain, a cabin in the snow, the choo-choo and some others. They are difficult to find today. Also the plastic does deteriorate. The original ones were quite heavy and smaller. The outside was glass with the inside rotator made off celluloid. Here is a pot-bellied stove rotator lamp. Very appropriate for this thread, I think.....Helen

That stove lamp is unique,and appropriate to this thread. I've never seen one like it but its surprising how many of the plastic (celluloid) type show up on e bay. But a lot more expensive than they were when new. They are a little fragile. Mine has survived without major damage but I handle it pretty carefully now. I don't know if this picture qualifies as a lamp or a decoration but it is a lighted santa claus I have that still works. It seems to be made of an almost bio-degradable plastic. I can't believe how cracked up it is and expect it will just fall apart one of these days.
Ralph in Sask.

Steam Engines
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 04:54:47 PM »
I was trying to post some more photos, but I cannot get it to work. Yesterday I thought all I did was turn off my firewall but today I can't make it work. The pot bellied stove is the best one we have. It still had the tag on it when we bought it. I did see a copyright date of 1956 on the lighthouse, which has a ship on the opposite side. Maybe someday I will figure out what I am doing wrong on the photos.

I would never buy a rotator lamp on ebay. I want to be able to examine it. Many of them were used with higher wattage bulbs and are now inoperable.....Helen
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 05:05:10 PM by PAOttawa »

Steam Engines
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 05:06:09 PM »
I was trying to post some more photos, but I cannot get it to work. Yesterday I thought all I did was turn off my firewall but today I can't make it work. The pot bellied stove is the best one we have. It still had the tag on it when we bought it. I did see a copyright date of 1956 on the lighthouse, which has a ship on the opposite side. Maybe someday I will figure out what I am doing wrong on the photos.

I would never buy a rotator lamp on ebay. I want to be able to examine it. Many of them were used with higher wattage bulbs and are now inoperable.....Helen