Hello Guest

New toy(I think-hope)

• 63 Replies
New toy(I think-hope)
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2008, 09:35:50 PM »
How are you going to clean it up for paint? My current method is to remove whatever really needs sandblasting, which allows for easier wire brushing of everything else. I'm not a big fan of blasting around shafts and seals. Of course grease removal comes first.

Danny

• View Profile
New toy(I think-hope)
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2008, 10:27:13 PM »
I do about the same as you. Most of it will be wire brushed as far as the rear goes. I may blast the frame but thats a big may, as my sandbaster is big and cumbersome to set up. I only get a couple hours at a time to work on tractors and so by the time I set up the blaster, time is up.....Sheet metal I do blast with my smaller blaster.

Brake clean and ether (starter fluid) works excellent to remove grease and oil after pressure washing. Before primer I wipe it down with cheap paint thinner..

I know guys who do more than I with metal prep and in most cases their tractors look better than mine. I also know guys who do far less then I and in many cases , in my eyes, their tractors look better than mine. which really makes me scratch my head but then I am my worst critic.

Danny

New toy(I think-hope)
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2008, 10:36:04 PM »
Trying to prep for paint with only a couple of hours working time is a real pain. I envy somewhat the retired guys who can put in a 8-12 hour day working on their restorations.

Danny

• View Profile
New toy(I think-hope)
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2008, 10:13:12 PM »
Quote from: John Hall;344
Trying to prep for paint with only a couple of hours working time is a real pain. I envy somewhat the retired guys who can put in a 8-12 hour day working on their restorations.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.....I've had retired guys tell me they wish they had my energy, enthusiasm and money.....I wish I had their time and all the money they think I have. Yea some times we meet at the fence and talk about these things. Don't worry John, we'll be on the other side of the fence soon enough

Danny

New toy(I think-hope)
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2008, 11:03:59 PM »
Assuming I make it to the other side of the fence, I probably will have wimped out and gone to electric start tractors and refuse to restore one that is more than 10% rust. Of the 3 I have restored, 1 was proably 75% rust, the other 2 as well as the one I am on now were 98% or greater covered in rust. Come to think of it, one of them was actually passed over a couple of times by older guys! And as for the money part, what has changed that they think those of us who are working, paying mortgages and saving for college educations can smoke Cuban cigars and light them with $100 bills? Maybe they painted too many tractors without using a respirator!:rolleyes:

New toy(I think-hope)
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2008, 09:33:23 PM »
Hey Danny, saw just what you need to compliment the grader--an Oliver powered road roller/packer. It's coming up for auction soon--in the Midwest I believe. Now that would make a GREAT working display at a tractor pull!:D

Oliver Road Grader
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2008, 11:07:49 AM »
Hey Danny, got a chance to pick up an Oliver road grader here in Maine. Hope to go look at it this afternoon and will take some photos of it for you. Let you know how I make out later.

Danny

• View Profile
New toy(I think-hope)
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2008, 10:57:20 PM »
Quote from: John Hall;360
Hey Danny, saw just what you need to compliment the grader--an Oliver powered road roller/packer. It's coming up for auction soon--in the Midwest I believe. Now that would make a GREAT working display at a tractor pull!:D

Did it have the 66 power unit? There was one not far from me. I had asked about it and was told it wasn't for sale. It disapeared from where it sat (for yrs.) not long after my asking.....not sure what happened to it but I hope it is in good hands.

Danny

• View Profile
New toy(I think-hope)
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2008, 11:05:54 PM »
Quote from: Magman;365
Hey Danny, got a chance to pick up an Oliver road grader here in Maine. Hope to go look at it this afternoon and will take some photos of it for you. Let you know how I make out later.

First of all,
Welcome to the Forum I see this is your first post and hope there will be many more.....
I would like to see pics of the grader you've gotten.  I've made quite a bit of progress on my own. I hope to be able to take pics of what I've accomplished so far, real soon.   Sorry I hadn't responded sooner

Danny

New toy(I think-hope)
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2008, 11:13:28 PM »
Quote from: Danny;369
Did it have the 66 power unit? There was one not far from me. I had asked about it and was told it wasn't for sale. It disapeared from where it sat (for yrs.) not long after my asking.....not sure what happened to it but I hope it is in good hands.

I think I saw the ad in the last issue of Antique Power. There was a small picture of it in the auction ad.

Grader
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2008, 09:16:01 AM »
Danny, we didn't get it. It was a home made thing with a V-8 in it.

Danny

• View Profile
Finished Grader
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2009, 03:05:46 PM »
It has been quite a while since I've visited ATIS forum but that doesn't mean I haven't been working on tractors. Here are some pics of the grader I have finished.....Now on to the next project@

New toy(I think-hope)
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2009, 09:17:54 PM »
Nice looking grader!

How about coming over and doing my 800' gravel driveway?  It needs to reshaped as it has lost its crown years ago and doesn't drain water at all.

New toy(I think-hope)
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2009, 09:39:40 PM »
Looks great! Now all you need to do is find a tractor pull and grade the track with it! Most of the dirt would wash off.:eek:

Grader
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2009, 01:59:27 PM »
That sure is some impressive work, Danny.  If one had not seen the pictures of the machine you trailed home last year, it would be hard to believe they are the same machine.  Thanks for posting.