Hello Guest

Oliver Hart Parr 18-27

• 7 Replies
Oliver Hart Parr 18-27
« on: July 28, 2008, 04:09:30 PM »
Ok guys & gals, I'm going to try posing a bunch of questions (over time) and see if anyone answers.  I have a 1935 HP 18-27 on full steel that's been sitting in my shop for the past five years, I've decided to get after it with haste in the hopes of being able to drive it around by spring 2009. Has anyone out there worked on one of these before?  It have it taken apart in the shop and am in the process of cleaning everything up before re-assembly.  I found a full gaskets set with 0-rings from olsons gaskets that I hope to order in the next few days.  The tractor was pretty clean and has come apart really easy with no stuck or busted bolts.  The only thing I could find wrong with the motor was excessive carbon build-up on top of the pistons, and throughout the head.  I've cleaned that all off now.  My first question is, would you go through the the trouble of replacing the o-rings on the sleves if you have no reason to suspect they are bad?  Do they deteriate (sp) with age, or are they best left alone?  The sleves are in great shape with no scoring or top rim, if that makes any difference.

Oliver Hart Parr 18-27
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 09:54:05 PM »
We have 5 tractors here built between the early 20's and the late thirties and we have never had any problems with them leaking by the O-rings. One of them has been here since the 50's.

Danny

• View Profile
Oliver Hart Parr 18-27
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 10:35:12 PM »
My first question is, would you go through the the trouble of replacing the o-rings on the sleves if you have no reason to suspect they are bad? Do they deteriate (sp) with age, or are they best left alone? The sleves are in great shape with no scoring or top rim, if that makes any difference.

Just me but I do replace the O rings, as long as there aren't any visible cracks between the cylinders

Its 6 of one, half a dozen of the other, I know there's no worse feeling than to think your done only to find you have to rip back into the engine for something you should have done originally...been there, done that.

what for carb. does your 18-27 have? Ensign?

Danny

Oliver Hart Parr 18-27
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 09:50:25 AM »
Danny,

I have the Ensign K carb.  The only thing I really need is a new manifold, but I'm waiting until the last moment to buy one.  The mag is not original, it a wico xh, but someday I will try to put an original one back on.  I spent last night cleaning and polishing the head and shining up the valves.  I hope to have the head put back together tonight, then I will turn my attention to removing the pistons.  What could have caused a heavy carbon buildup (1/8 inch think) on top of the pistons?

Danny

• View Profile
Oliver Hart Parr 18-27
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 09:51:42 PM »
Quote from: jahaze;331
Danny,

I have the Ensign K carb.  The only thing I really need is a new manifold, but I'm waiting until the last moment to buy one.  The mag is not original, it a wico xh, but someday I will try to put an original one back on.  I spent last night cleaning and polishing the head and shining up the valves.  I hope to have the head put back together tonight, then I will turn my attention to removing the pistons.  What could have caused a heavy carbon buildup (1/8 inch think) on top of the pistons?

Most likely it is from overly rich air/fuel ratio. If the tractor spent most of its life on a belt or doing low rpm work this will cause carbon build up as well (hense, my favorite saying to an officer "just blowing out the carbon"). Also if oil is getting past the rings it will cause carbon build up but I think the first in combination with the second is more your case

Its not uncommon to find carbon build up in the old slow speed engines.

I believe I had gotten my manifold from Don Livingston, I don't have his number here with me but I'll see if I can find it in a few.

Danny

Oliver Hart Parr 18-27
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 09:26:14 AM »
Thanks Danny,

I know the new manifolds are available from Rosewood, but they run around 700 for both parts.  I think I have a decent intake section, but I'll have to rummage around in the shed for it.  I'd like to get this one back together and am trying to make a little progress every night.  It came with a non-homemade cab on it, I don't know who made it, but I'm sure once it's all back together, it will be the only one of its kind.

Joe

Oliver Hart Parr 18-27
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 09:30:14 AM »
Another question, do you have any idea where I should look for new rings?

Danny

• View Profile
Oliver Hart Parr 18-27
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 09:41:43 AM »
http://www.enginads.com/otto/     >I get them from Dave Reed.