Hello Guest

Parts Washer Solvent

• 11 Replies
Parts Washer Solvent
« on: August 04, 2008, 03:59:25 PM »
Ok Guys,

What do you use, what works the best for general grease/grime removal?  I have a 20-gal parts washer that has never had fluid in it, I think it's time to put it to work.

Danny

• View Profile
Parts Washer Solvent
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 08:37:41 PM »
I maybe opening myself up to ridicule here but I use kerosene. Its cheaper than the cleaner solvents the parts stores sell, lasts just as long and when the time does come to replace it I just dump the old in with my waste oil for the furnace.

Danny

Parts Washer Solvent
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 09:28:38 PM »
At home we use kerosene. At work we use agitene. Some of the commercial stuff will remove the oils from your skin--not fun as I had that to happen cleaning parts in a vat with varsol. It only took that one time to teach me to use gloves!

Parts Washer Solvent
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 04:46:14 PM »
Can you use mineral spirits?  Would the kerosene go bad/evaporate after awhile, how bad does it smell?

Parts Washer Solvent
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 09:40:23 PM »
I think I would look into varsol or agitene before I filled the washer with mineral spirits--do you have a Grainger or other type of industrial supply store nearby? No expert here but with the quantity of fluid you are talking about I would be concerned about fumes and flamability of the liquid. I would also be concerned as to what your pump can safely handle. We have one of the Chineese parts washers at work and it handles agitene fine. At home we have a plastic tub and we only pour about a 1/2 to 1 gallon of kerosene in it. No more than we use here we can use the old stuff for burning brush or add it to the waste oil container.

Parts Washer Solvent
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 09:19:16 AM »
Thanks John,

I'll check into the stuff you recommend.  the biggest problem I can see is I will be using my parts washer about twice a month (I work pretty slow) so I don't want to fill it up with toxic, expensive stuff that will evaporate or break down before I get the chance to enjoy it.  Is there such a thing as "green" or non-toxic cleaner?

Danny

• View Profile
Parts Washer Solvent
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 10:47:52 PM »
Quote from: jahaze;347
Thanks John,

I'll check into the stuff you recommend.  the biggest problem I can see is I will be using my parts washer about twice a month (I work pretty slow) so I don't want to fill it up with toxic, expensive stuff that will evaporate or break down before I get the chance to enjoy it.  Is there such a thing as "green" or non-toxic cleaner?

"green" or non-toxic cleaner? Kind of got my curiosity up, so I did a little google search. I don't know anything about these company's or their products....

http://www.renegadepartswashers.com/parts_washer/parts_washer_detergent.htm

http://www.franmar.com/index.php?cPath=24_48

http://www.workcellsystems.com/cleaning_fluids.html

I hope these help, I believe my parts washer maybe the same as yours 20ga. drum type. I haven't had any problems using kero. in it and at the price they want for solvents I believe I will continue using kero.

Danny
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 10:53:24 PM by Danny »

Parts Washer Solvent
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 06:03:58 PM »
It may be more expensive but I use Saftey-Kleen.  The thing I like about them is that they bring a truck out to my place and take the barrel with my dirty solvent and all the sludge in it and replace it with a fresh barrel.

Don't ask me what it costs as it has been many years since the last time I had mine serviced.  I probably should look into getting mine serviced, but that would mean cleaning up my shop so the guy could get the barrel in and out.

Parts Washer Solvent
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 02:53:34 PM »
Thanks for the links Danny.  I like the soybean goo the best, but at around $20 per gallon, it should coat the parts with gold leaf when it's done.  I know I should support some of the farmer grown stuff, but for an occasional use it looks like kerosene is going to be the best.  I'll try to come up with somethings new, it seems quite a few folks are watching, we just need some more interesting topics to get them to jump in.

Parts Washer Solvent
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 02:54:37 PM »
George,

It sounds like you now have a reason to clean your shop :)

Parts Washer Solvent
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 02:37:41 PM »
jahaze,

Not very likely to clean up my shop in the near future.  Its taken years of creating uncompleted projects and adding parts for future projects.

May be easier to build another barn or shop building and start out fresh:rolleyes:

Actually, it would be easier for me to move the parts washer so it is out by the overhead door so at least the service guy could get to it.  Cleaning up the room where the parts washer is located will take some serious effort.

Of course cleaning up a shop or room is kind of like a treasure hunt in some ways as I'm bound to find some parts or tools that have been missing for a looooong time.:D

Parts Washer Solvent
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 08:48:16 AM »
George,

I like the "building a new shop" idea, I've often thought about it, but I broke down and spent a few days this summer cleaning and organizing my place so I could actually work on things.  It's starting to infill again right now since I opened up so much floor space, my wife is finding things to put in there :(

Maybe I need to give her my shop and build another one, I can see it now, honey, I've decided that you need my shop more than me so you can have my old one, I'll be over here in my new 60X100 pole barn if you need anything..:rolleyes:

Joe