Hello Guest

Western Ohio Update

• 1194 Replies
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #885 on: February 05, 2015, 10:24:38 AM »
Nice photo, Gene.  I bet I could have one like that this morning, but it is too cold to go do it.  It was around 7 below or lower @ 7 AM.  Now it is clear up to 4 above and I am still staying put by the fire.

Ron

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #886 on: February 05, 2015, 01:54:52 PM »
I am just surprised how much warmer it is here in Sask. compared to the "deep South". Yes, its around +12 this morning and feels ok as long as you stay out of the wind but there is a little ground drifting happening out in the open spaces. I noticed it on the highway this morning as I thought I better get my mail before the freezing rain and snow forecast for later today hits. This photo shows I had a little bad luck meeting a gravel truck. Big ugly star at the bottom of the windshield and tiny shards of glass laying on the dash after that hit. On pavement yet! Same thing happened in about the same spot over 30 years ago with a Dodge pickup.
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #887 on: February 05, 2015, 05:19:55 PM »
That is too bad about your glass, Ralph.  Never fun is it.  Hope you have as good luck with your insurance company as I did following my incident.

Went out Monday AM at daylight  and blew about eight inches of new fluff that came overnight. (The new blower works pretty good.) Still snowing with some blowing so I knew that would not be the last trip.  Went out again Monday evening and did it all over again for another 4-5".  1 1/2-2 hours each trip.  Took Tuesday off from snow and did some cooking and made a really good macaroni salad.  Another couple of inches by Wednesday and and the plow filled me in at the road so this time I got serious and used the truck so I could push it all back.  Who knows what else may be in the wings waiting.

Seeing some nice winter scenes posted here so thought I would give it a try. Wouldn't you know that 2-3 " of new powder frosted my cleanup job from yesterday.  Pretty to look at though.  This is how the morning sun lookes at about +12 degrees F.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]783[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]784[/ATTACH]

Charlie V

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #888 on: February 05, 2015, 09:32:02 PM »
[ATTACH=CONFIG]785[/ATTACH],[ATTACH=CONFIG]786[/ATTACH],[ATTACH=CONFIG]787[/ATTACH]

I installed all new LED lights in my camper. Here are some pics from tonight. Really brightens things up. Also a pic of tonight's moon. I think they call this the snow moon?

Charlie, those are some cold looking pictures. Have some snow here, but nothing like this.

Sorry to hear of the windshield misfortune. My brother was on vacation in Iowa a few years ago and following a dump truck and a soccer ball size rock rolled off the back and bounced up into the center of the windshield. Totally destroyed the glass and had to have it replaced to finish his trip. Fortunate it hit the windshield right in the center between him and his wife so no one was injured.

Gene
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 09:40:06 PM by Gene Dotson »

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #889 on: February 06, 2015, 10:31:36 AM »
Bad luck there, Ralph.  Gene, did you replace the 12-volt or the 110-volt lamps in your camper?

Ron

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #890 on: February 06, 2015, 11:52:16 AM »
Ron, I should have said this is a motor home. The lights are all 12 volt. This link to ebay is the lights I installed. They are the bayonet type base.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10X-T10-921-194-RV-Trailer-Interior-12V-LED-Light-Bulbs-24-SMD-/230986124317?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c7d88c1d&vxp=mtr

Gene
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 02:22:08 PM by Gene Dotson »

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #891 on: February 06, 2015, 02:27:02 PM »
Quote from: Ron Cook;2513
Bad luck there, Ralph.  Gene, did you replace the 12-volt or the 110-volt lamps in your camper?

Ron

Ron, in the big picture I guess if a stone damaged windshield is all I have to complain about I am fortunate. I doubt insurance will be part of the solution. Come to think of it I have never replaced a windshield in over 40 years of driving so maybe its time. I will likely drive this one til it breaks.
Snowing and blowing pretty good (or bad) here today. There will be some drifts to move when it finally settles down.
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #892 on: February 07, 2015, 12:24:46 PM »
Ralph,  
You enjoy the "wide open spaces" type of living and I envy that.  I never had to replace any windshields until the last 25 or so years.  Too much traffic, too much construction, too many people.  Other than my truck, I am not on the road very much.  About 10 thousand miles a year divided by 3 vehicles.  Around 20 thousand miles a year in the semi which has only lost one windshield over many years.  The pickups and car have several replaced and I currently have a cracked one in my Tahoe.
Ron

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #893 on: February 07, 2015, 11:27:01 PM »
Ron, I sure do enjoy my low population density here in this part of Sask. My logic on windshields is that as long as I drive with a few cracks in it they likely won't get any worse. But the very day I get a new one installed I will probably pick up a rock on the way home from the body shop. Good thing we don't have vehicle inspections here that can fail a vehicle for excessive cracks.
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #894 on: February 09, 2015, 11:07:37 PM »
I am working from my new computer finally. Been a frustrating time getting it running. Thing was loaded down with viruses, spyware and ad ware. Finally installed a program called  Spyhunter 4 and been scanning from noon to about 8:pn. It found more than 2850 threats, mostly sales popups. I had run 2 other programs, but they didn't clean out the threats. Was a paid program, but to me it was worth the $42.00. I had saved all my old bookmarks to a thumb drive, but can't figure how to transfer to browser, so will just work from and bookmark as I use the sites. email contacts transferred alright, except it loaded 4 of every contact, so had to go through them and delete 3 of every one. Been a learning experience, but I persevered.

Saturday and Sunday had high temps in the low 50's. today's high was 21 degrees, so ground is frozen again and no mud. Light rain Sunday evening, but stopped before freezing.

Got a new tablet today, so will be working to understand that. Technology overload!!!

Gene

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #895 on: February 10, 2015, 08:50:44 PM »
Hi Gene. I don't know much about tablets, except the ones I take for headaches. My brother has an I pad and he really likes it. Very compact and great for surfing and emailing. I'm snowed in again from the last couple of days of light snow and wind. I haven't attempted opening the driveway as it would only have blown in again . Seems like this evening the wind is dropping and maybe I'll get the snow blower going tomorrow.
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #896 on: February 10, 2015, 11:00:20 PM »
I am getting about tired of snow but do not expect we are anywhere near finished with it.  Had 5 or 6 inches of new powder Sunday night.  Went out Monday morning and cleaned that knowing three to four more were due during the day yesterday.  With it being pretty cold and still puttering snow I skipped plowing or blowing last night, not to mention that my leg was pretty unhappy from the workouts it has been getting.  Went out this AM and cleaned off the truck.  Leg is still angry so I wanted to minimize walking.  the road plow banks at the road which I pushed back the other day were filled back in so they needed to be beat up again.  Places that I skipped yesterday had about 8" of accumulation so the truck earned it's keep. Used the blower again for some tight areas and the walks.  After the 2 1/2 hours spent this AM I am ready for time off.  No snow promised until tomorrow night so a little break at least.

Gene. fifty degrees this time of year is shameful. but it would sure look good here if we could get it.  The new lighting in the RV look good and will be a battery saver while parked.

Ralph, I sometimes wish I could have more of a relaxed attitude about clearing snow like you do.  I know what you are saying about it blowing back in but I am all twitterpated if there is four inches in the driveway. Then again I am usually twitterpated anyway.

Charlie V.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #897 on: February 11, 2015, 09:13:15 AM »
Very strange brightness oudside today.  Hummm.  I will just bet it is Sunshine.  It has been a while since any of that has been around.  

Now where did I leave my swim trunks and the SPF 50 lotion.......................

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #898 on: February 11, 2015, 10:08:19 AM »
Sunny here this morning too Charlie but at nearly -20F that NW wind is going to sting. I was supposed to get a couple of semis of canola out today but no word from the trucker so I have not moved any snow in anticipation. And in this weather I am in no hurry to get out on the open snow blower. Might just use the blade and the 2090 and work in comfort although I don't like putting up big snow piles and ridges. They make a dandy snow catcher for the next time the wind blows.
Edit, adding a photo I took this morning showing the sundog over the McCormick Deering. Nice to see the sun again but its not that nice out in the wind.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 02:09:43 PM by RG8800 »
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #899 on: February 11, 2015, 05:15:12 PM »
No sunshine in Ohio. No snow either,, YET. Having light misting rain that started about 4:30 and 34 degrees and getting colder. May turn to freezing rain before it turns to snow. Ground frozen hard and warms just enough during the day to make for greasy surface. Forecast for 5 degrees by Friday morning.

Picked up a load of sheet metal in Kenton for Amish neighbor. Spent most of the morning doing that. They still have a lot of ice on the driveways and fields. Farm where I picked up some spreader parts was shredding corn. The horses were having problems with traction on the ice pulling the wagons. Had to be careful walking.

Gene