Hello Guest

• 18 Replies

RG8800

• View Profile
« on: January 03, 2010, 05:48:31 PM »
Since we are into the year 2010 here is a picture of a friend's JD 2010 tractor back in the late seventies. Home built 3 point hitch that he used to run his 7 foot snowblower with.
Ralph in Sask.

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 06:09:50 PM »
Local hardware and J.D. lawn equipment dealer has a 2010 row crop setting on the sales lot. Didn't bother to get out of the truck for a closer look. It did look pretty decent though.
I would worry about the color contrast in my barn.

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 08:07:00 PM »
Quote from: RG8800;1054
Since we are into the year 2010 here is a picture of a friend's JD 2010 tractor back in the late seventies. Home built 3 point hitch that he used to run his 7 foot snowblower with.

How about going the other way with a 10 20.

Charlie V.

RG8800

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 09:49:19 PM »
Good looking 10-20 Charlie. Is it yours? Is this one too? I only know it was a McCormick when I took the picture at an auction sale a few years ago.
http://hotimg25.fotki.com/a/142_165/25_55/april23sale.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Well, fotki linking just won't work for me tonight so I'll leave it up to your imagination. :mad:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 09:53:56 PM by RG8800 »
Ralph in Sask.

cool
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 01:42:37 AM »
This is some of what amazes about you guys, it's late 70's, here is a tractor for snowblowing, but where is the cab. I agree, it looks way cooler that way :cool: That and all those tractors without 3-point.

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 07:20:42 AM »
Quote from: RG8800;1057
Good looking 10-20 Charlie. Is it yours? Is this one too? I only know it was a McCormick when I took the picture at an auction sale a few years ago.
http://hotimg25.fotki.com/a/142_165/25_55/april23sale.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Well, fotki linking just won't work for me tonight so I'll leave it up to your imagination. :mad:

Sorry your picture would not come in, Ralph.  Yes, that is my 1930 10-20 when I took it to a parade in 2007. You may notice from how low I sit on it that it is an orchard tractor.  It has four of the five orchard features offered on those tractors.  I still have not gotten to my 1927 to get the motor free, but someday.  The 1927 is on all steel.  I have steel for the rear of this '30 also, but will not put it on unless the current rubber tires give up.  They are very old, so I try to keep the sun from them as much as possible.  I am hoping that if you see enough pictures of this 10-20, it will tempt you to drag your 15-30 in and start fixing. (grin)

Charlie V.

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 07:31:30 AM »
Quote from: Mattias;1058
This is some of what amazes about you guys, it's late 70's, here is a tractor for snowblowing, but where is the cab. I agree, it looks way cooler that way :cool: That and all those tractors without 3-point.

Great to see your post here on the forums, Mattias.  An 8N ford with no cab was my only snow plow for about 10 years.  I can recall at times plowing while having on a helmet with a snowmobile face shield because the wind driven snow would sting my face so bad.  I will post a picture of the Ford as soon as I have time.  When people are young, you just do what you have to do.  Everything is too expensive for the budget when one is bringing up a house full of kids.  Now I sit on my lazy behind in a heated pickup truck when I have to plow snow.  Not yet necessary this year.  It just keeps blowing away,

Charlie V.

RG8800

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 05:32:48 PM »
Quote from: Mattias;1058

Mattias, 3 point hitch was a rarity to find on a tractor up til maybe 20 years ago when the newer models of utility tractors started showing up with it. Up til then the only ones I saw were the little Ford 8 and 9Ns. When my Dad bought the McKee snowblower we looked long and unsuccessfully for a suitable tractor with three point and ended up building one to fit the Cockshutt 40 we already had in the shed. No cab of course but we dress up warm and if its really bad out there, just wait for it to warm up.
The 2010 in the picture did not come with factory 3 point. The owner built his own from various parts and it worked just fine.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 05:34:50 PM by RG8800 »
Ralph in Sask.

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 10:19:16 PM »
It is much nicer to just live where a snowblower isn't necessary!!:)

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 09:35:56 PM »
Quote from: RG8800;1061
Mattias, 3 point hitch was a rarity to find on a tractor up til maybe 20 years ago when the newer models of utility tractors started showing up with it. Up til then the only ones I saw were the little Ford 8 and 9Ns. When my Dad bought the McKee snowblower we looked long and unsuccessfully for a suitable tractor with three point and ended up building one to fit the Cockshutt 40 we already had in the shed. No cab of course but we dress up warm and if its really bad out there, just wait for it to warm up.
The 2010 in the picture did not come with factory 3 point. The owner built his own from various parts and it worked just fine.

Ralph, why is the right rear tire mounted backwards?

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 07:52:55 AM »
Hi John,

I am going to guess that the reversed tire gives at least one wheel better traction when backing with the snow blower.  Combined with the use of wheel brakes, that could be an advantage.  It seems I remember something about another reason perhaps to do with plowing, but it will not come to me right now.  I guess I will wait for Ralph to inform both of us.

Charlie V.

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 08:05:49 AM »

Here is another set with the right tire on backward.  I bought the tires mounted on the wheels, installed them on the tractor and painted the wheels.  It never occurred that commercial tread might have a direction pattern.  If you look closely at the deep tread cuts, they do. When I made the observation of one on backward, I decided it will stay thar way.

Charlie V.

RG8800

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 01:16:05 AM »
Quote from: Charlie V;1086
Hi John,

I am going to guess that the reversed tire gives at least one wheel better traction when backing with the snow blower.  Combined with the use of wheel brakes, that could be an advantage.  It seems I remember something about another reason perhaps to do with plowing, but it will not come to me right now.  I guess I will wait for Ralph to inform both of us.

Charlie V.

You are right Charlie , about the traction advantage, but it did not happen intentionally. I had a new tire installed back in the 90s. I had taken a spare wheel in to the shop and left it for them to install. They installed the new tire going the same direction as the existing (old) tire was. It happened that that wheel was originally on the left side of another tractor, therefore it turned out to be backwards for the right. I wasn't going to complain about it as I figured the traction advantage would help snowblowing.
I dont' see a whole lot of difference on the little John Deere Charlie. Those tires don't appear to have a right or left .
Ralph in Sask.

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 08:16:20 AM »
It is hard to spot, Ralph, and that is how I overlooked it.  The tires have a set of V notch tread cuts that are about twice as big as all of the other cuts.  They go around the tire just like an inverted ag. bar tread would and in one direction only.  After I eventually noticed these, I checked the sidewalls for a direction arrow.  Sure enough, they do have an arrow to designate forward rotation.  Looking at them is almost like one of those game puzzles where now you see it, now you don't.  The best place to see the pattern is looking straight on the tread about 1/2 way up the back side.  Then you may spot the V pattern of wide grooves.  I posted this particular picture to post because once noticed, the pattern jumps right out at you.

CharlieV.

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 08:32:23 AM »
I am sending a reply to my own post again.  I did a little looking on the net, Ralph.  If this link will work. you may be able to see the tread pattern more clearly.  This is the tire type shown in my picture.

Charlie V.

http://www.bridgestone.com.au/commercial/agricultural/tyres/gtr_farm_serv_dia.aspx