Hello Guest

Forklifts?

• 4 Replies
Forklifts?
« on: March 11, 2010, 12:07:04 PM »
A couple weeks ago I finally got a real forklift, a 5k lb capacity Yale.

In the short time I've had it I've already moved several engines around including my big 12hp Ingeco sideshaft.

Forklifts are probably more commonly owned by engine collectors than tractor collectors as the need to lift and move engines is much more common than needing to lift a tractor.  Although I've moved several Fordson tractors around with a forklift that belonged to a friend several years ago.

Just curious if others on this forum have a forklift and what size?

Forklifts?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 05:23:40 PM »
Good for you, George.  I am sure you already know about transporting the load as low as possible  to keep the machine stable.  Have fun.

Charlie V.

Forklifts?
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 03:29:44 PM »
Charlie,

Having owned a Bobcat for over 12 years I'm well aware of the stability differences of keeping loads close to the ground rather than raised.  Never got in a problem with the Bobcat but have had times where I needed to quickly adjust the bucket height to keep from tipping forward with it.  Actually operating at the tipping point makes life more fun:rolleyes:

One of my first jobs out of high school involved operating a forklift frequently, plus for a few years I had a Toyota forklift that belonged to a friend going through an ugly divorce.  So I've had a few forklift experiences well before getting my own.

Forklifts?
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 05:51:47 PM »
I thought you probably knew your way around a FL, George, but I just had to throw that out there.  It is one of those better said than not said things.  

Charlie V.

Forklifts?
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 03:54:09 PM »
I have two. One is a hard rubber tire little guy that has a 2000 lb capacity. Onal twin engine on propane. It goes through my shop door from the storage side which is very useful in moving engines. The other is something like a 1949  vintage with an industrial ford 6 cyl engine with a 4500 lb capacity. It gets used in the yard unloading, ect.
Dave E